Ordered a Togo from Swifts Inverts!!!

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:D Well, I ordered a Heteroscodra maculata today from Swifts Inverts - I have been wanting to obtain a nice specimen of this species for quite some time and I am sure it will be a handful...they are reputed to be lightning fast, aggressive and a nasty bite...so I will be exercising the usual great caution I use with my other nasty inverts....I have been interested in this spider for some time...I believe that they are a West African species...and arboreal.Does anybody out there have any experience in caring for the Togo Starburst AKA Ornamental baboon? I would be primarily interested in humidity level info and temp. :}
The Evil Spider Hunter

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's cool. Kelly has some of the best quality t's in the business, you can't go wrong with him. Hope you like your t's.

-Jeremy

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was planning to buy a Togo from Kelly, too.. but that T looks so mean with their big eyes... but dang.. Kelly got some new Ts now..! I like the Venezuelan Suntiger (Psalmopoeus irminia)... I really want to buy that one but I have too much slings now..

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
SH,
The H. mac I had, was a juvie. While I had it (before sending it off to live & be spoiled at Joy's), was more spooky than anything. It built quite the elaborate webby enclosure. Really hardy, and was a serious eating machine.

Peace,
Gillian

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kelly does have some sweet Togos...

That's who I got mine from and they look fantastic. As far as keeping them goes they are pretty easy. A water dish will give them almost all of the humidity they need. They eat well also and only get better looking as they get larger.

Phil

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine started off as a 3/4 inch spiderling and in two months it has molted twice and is now two inches. Rapid growth is great and they are very good eaters. It has a nasty temperment though and yes it is super fast so keep an eye on it. Hands down it is the nicest spider in my collection and it is only going to get prettier.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider Hunter
:D Well, I ordered a Heteroscodra maculata today from Swifts Inverts - I have been wanting to obtain a nice specimen of this species for quite some time and I am sure it will be a handful...they are reputed to be lightning fast, aggressive and a nasty bite...so I will be exercising the usual great caution I use with my other nasty inverts....I have been interested in this spider for some time...I believe that they are a West African species...and arboreal.Does anybody out there have any experience in caring for the Togo Starburst AKA Ornamental baboon? I would be primarily interested in humidity level info and temp. :}
The Evil Spider Hunter
I keep mine in a tall ten gallon "hex" aquarium. I have holes drilled in the plastic part of the top for ventilation. I provide a water dish, no misting nor is the substrate kept moist.
the three back walls of the enclosure have cork bark slabs siliconed on with aquarium silicone. one of the slabs had a knot hole in it that I enlarged, this is where the maculata goes in and out. it spends most of the time hidden inbetween the cork bark and glass. mine is about 4" legspan, not known if it is male or female. lighting fast, almost frantic, especially when hungry. very hardy and easy to care for.
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I am caring for an adult female for a friend. She is super easy to care for..I have her in a plastic shoebox turned on end, with a plexiglass top. Holes in both sides for good ventilation, and a large water dish. She spends most of her time on the ground, but hangs out on her webbing too. Her web looks almost like a waterfall. This one seems more shy then anything, not defensive at all...she will run and hide if I'm working in her container.
They are absolutely stunning, and good eaters too!