Ordered a juvenile from a shop it seems small I called the shop they said it's a juvenile but from what I read on Google it's a spiderling help

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
My spider is Mexican fireleg 5cm pretty much 2 inches was told it's juvenile but I've read on Google spiderlings are this size, shop insists it's correct size I've paid £40 have they pulled a fast one on me? Or am I being a total noob PS my 1st T its name is fang

Attachments

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Hmm. Personally I'd class anything that's seriously showing its colours as a Juvie. Definitions vary from person to person however

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I would probably call it a juvie at 2 inches. But you paid a good price for a well started spider. I don't think you got scammed or anything like that. It's not like they advertised a 2 inch spider and sent you a 1/4 inch spider.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I love the spider either way I just wanna make sure I didn't get ripped off because their spiderlings are only around £10 and I paid 40 for it but as long as it thrives and doesn't die on me it's all good I'm just not too comfortable with the thought of spiderlings as I hear they die easy

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
My spider is Mexican fireleg 5cm pretty much 2 inches was told it's juvenile but I've read on Google spiderlings are this size, shop insists it's correct size I've paid £40 have they pulled a fast one on me? Or am I being a total noob PS my 1st T its name is fang
The differentiation reaches a gray area for the graduation of sling to juvie, and the size can differentiate between various species. I'm sure there's something super scientific about classifying the age, but as far as I know it's more opinion than fact. Personally, I would consider Fang to be a juvie based on that pic alone. but I'm also a noob. Did they say it was 2" in the ad where you bought the T? If so, you knew what you were paying for.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I would probably call it a juvie at 2 inches. But you paid a good price for a well started spider. I don't think you got scammed or anything like that. It's not like they advertised a 2 inch spider and sent you a 1/4 inch spider.
Thanks for the reply it's just hard to tell what's right and what's wrong I'm so new to all this and there's so many different info sites that say different things

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I love the spider either way I just wanna make sure I didn't get ripped off because their spiderlings are only around £10 and I paid 40 for it but as long as it thrives and doesn't die on me it's all good I'm just not too comfortable with the thought of spiderlings as I hear they die easy
They grow slowly, so for your extra 30 pounds you just saved about 6 months to a year of time waiting for it to grow to 2 inches. I think you got a good deal. Actually slings are a little more delicate than the spider you got. You should have no issues raising it from this point on.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
The differentiation reaches a gray area for the graduation of sling to juvie, and the size can differentiate between various species. I'm sure there's something super scientific about classifying the age, but as far as I know it's more opinion than fact. Personally, I would consider Fang to be a juvie based on that pic alone. but I'm also a noob. Did they say it was 2" in the ad where you bought the T? If so, you knew what you were paying for.
To be honest I didn't check what size they said it was I just thought it was small and didn't wanna argue with the shop if it was actually a juvie so thought I'd come here for advise 1st

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the reply it's just hard to tell what's right and what's wrong I'm so new to all this and there's so many different info sites that say different things
Don't overthink it, and from now on direct all your questions to this forum. I promise it will save you several times where you'd be bangin your head on the wall. Turn off your brain and allow those that have been doing this for decades successfulling lend you their brain.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Don't overthink it, and from now on direct all your questions to this forum. I promise it will save you several times where you'd be bangin your head on the wall. Turn off your brain and allow those that have been doing this for decades successfulling lend you their brain.
I've banged my head many times today 🤣 but when I've been looking for tips online about spider care I ended up here a few times and decided to sign up coz I can tell ppl on here actually have experience and know what they are talking about

Thanks for all your help guys really appreciate it 😁

cold blood

Staff member
I love the spider either way I just wanna make sure I didn't get ripped off because their spiderlings are only around £10 and I paid 40 for it
You didnt, you got exactly what you paid for.
I'm just not too comfortable with the thought of spiderlings as I hear they die easy
They dont...even spiderlings are pretty darn easy to care for.

Generally speaking, juvenile is a subjective term for many species...for others, especially those NWs that change into adult colors....those are much less subjective...like the t in question.....as a spiderling, they will not have any colors, and will look remarkably similar to most other NW's, as they grow those colors come in, when they do, its no longer a spiderling and can be pretty much cared for as one would an adult.
They grow slowly, so for your extra 30 pounds you just saved about 6 months to a year of time waiting for it to grow to 2 inches
6 months? That t she got could be 2 years old or more, I would say a year plus at minimum.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't say you got ripped off, but I would say you paid top rate.

A tiny sling of that species would be anything from £12-£18 if bought from one of the main sellers.

I wouldn't worry about whether you were charged too much. A tarantula's worth is how much it is worth to you to own it, seeing as it's a living creature. Sometimes I've paid over the odds when it was a species I really wanted. No point waiting for a better deal if it could be years before that particular species at that size came up for sale again. If you get what I mean. Though obviously I wouldn't pay WAY over the odds, but a little I can live with now and then.

Enjoy you new friend!

PoeciIotheria

Pokie Collector
Anything above 1.5" is a juvie to me if it's not a dwarf species. But as others have said, it's a very gray area because it's based on individual perception. Who knows, maybe some people see their 9" rufilata as their littly baby sling still XD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You’re overthinking this. The names you mention are meaningless/subjective.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Probably a good bet slings sold at £10 are going to be way smaller than what you have. Nice size you have, will be fun and you’ll be wishing for it to get bigger in no time.

I consider my T’s slings until about 1.5 - 2”, then I refer to them as juveniles, but as other mentioned it’s a gray area. If they are dwarf species that’s another story.

Welcome and congrats!

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
As everyone has said - good deal.
Like so good a deal I wanted to hop in and say it.

A "red/fire knee/leg" Brachy Species of that size would be 100 USD (about double) at least in local petshops where I'm from. I've even seen 150.
Online is a little cheaper but you're gonna pay 50usd shipping anyway to get them to you.

Obviously, direct currency rates don't always perfectly illustrate the price of everything but yeah.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I'm glad I got a good deal as everyone is saying 😁 I can't wait till fang is abit bigger so I can handle him/her to me fang is still a cute lil baby even if it is a juvie 😊

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Technically speaking, anything that isn't an adult is a juvenile or immature. The tarantula hobby has historically referred to the first few instars of a juvenile as a spiderling or "sling" for short. A juvenile that is one molt (or believed to be) from adult/maturity is penultimate, although female tarantulas do not have an ultimate (last) molt because they continue to molt after sexual maturity. "Subadult" is a term used in the hobby for a juvenile that is within a few molts of adulthood/maturity.