Orchid mantis

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno the name but i'll be getting some by next week.
Its found here where i stay lol.
Problem is, i dunno how to care for it and it wud be such a waste to see it die.
Wud like to know if i need special requirements or such.
Tot of tossing in a fake white orchid to brighten the area.
They need water or do i just need to spray them ?

Thanks

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My question is "why would you get any animal that you haven't researched their requirements in advance?"

Tom

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Erm...coz i've kept a common one before...and it layed eggs...den my aunt threw it away...tat was back then when i was a lil kid...
so tot of keeping it again...but was wondering how to do it properly...:?

So can u guys help me with it ?

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your welcome. I kept Egyptian mantids last year, but it didn't go so well, post some pics when your recieve yours.

-Eric

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno the name but i'll be getting some by next week.
Its found here where i stay lol.
Problem is, i dunno how to care for it and it wud be such a waste to see it die.
Wud like to know if i need special requirements or such.
Tot of tossing in a fake white orchid to brighten the area.
They need water or do i just need to spray them ?

Thanks
the malaysian pink/white ones are awesome:clap: they need to be kept humid(spraying the enclosure,but not soaking wet,lot's of foliage,and they eat very well.good luck that's an excellent choice. hope this helps ya little.:)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Geeee...thanx
High humidity, high ventilation and lots of cover.

Mantids are banned by the USDA in the US and most of the members who post here are from the US. Consequently, there aren't many mantid keepers here on arachnoboards.

As for getting mantids without doing research...most of the people here tend to look down upon people who haven't done their research on their pets beforehand.

The mantids (if they're the species I think they are) you are getting are very hard to keep and are definitely not a beginner species.

Keeping one and having it lay an ootheca doesn't mean you're automatically ready for a species that requires a bit more experience.

I've been raising chinese mantids on and off for 10 years, but it's only one species that has pretty simple requirements. I'd never consider getting a species that requires the amount of experience that those do.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Erm...coz i've kept a common one before...and it layed eggs...den my aunt threw it away...tat was back then when i was a lil kid...
so tot of keeping it again...but was wondering how to do it properly...:?

So can u guys help me with it ?
After your done researching the mantid.. I suggest you look around this website also, looks like it would help. ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The mantids (if they're the species I think they are) you are getting are very hard to keep and are definitely not a beginner species.
I agree, Orchid Mantids in general are not beginner species...