Orange faced demon spider!!!!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
First of all, thanks to a very respected Greek scorpionologist for the correct common name!!

its Eresus niger ignicomis if im not mistaken (??? experts???)
it scared the cr*p out of me when i first found it, as ive been looking in the same area for other insects and stuff for the past 10 years, and this is the first time i have ever seen one!!

here is the pic:

it was an angry little bastard...... its the size of a Lycosa sp, one of the big ones, so i didnt want those little fangs in my skin

it was caught in Southern Corsica in a barren field full of goats, in the same habitat as Latrodectus tredecimgutattus and loads of crab spider species, big ones.

i also managed to pillage her nest and get about 20-30 babies (less than half.........) as they would probably die anyway........

and before i get eaten by the spider conservationists, i put her right back where i found her!

Last edited:

Goanna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome looking spider. Hows its venom toxicity?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutly gorgeous! Thank you for sharing... how big was she?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
shes a monster!! at least 3-4 cm from tip to tail

but they are very clumsy....

no idea about the venom toxicity
another pic, in cute mode :p

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that...is one of the cutest spiders i've ever seen! but for some reason, i can't see it the size of a larger lycosa.

oh, and from what i was able to read on the google search, they are terrestrial, and the males are much smaller and more colorful.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
specifically: males are orange with black and white dots on their abdomen and are under 11 mm.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what a cute little ball, thx , very nice spider and pics

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing,great looking spider.Just love the colour scheme :D

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Molitor said:
that...is one of the cutest spiders i've ever seen! but for some reason, i can't see it the size of a larger lycosa.

oh, and from what i was able to read on the google search, they are terrestrial, and the males are much smaller and more colorful.

Hi, by larger Lycosa i meant Lycosa narbonensis or L.tarantela or however you spell it.

the abdomen is without a doubt larger than in Lycosa species but the legs are very stubby :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Weird! "Weird" is good. I'd really like a couple of those but live in the US. Never have seen one of those.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wonderful spider and great photos George :clap:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is wild, especially the female in contrast to the male.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have always wanted a large jumper! That is so cool, does anyone know what the largest species of jumper are?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cooper said:
I have always wanted a large jumper! That is so cool, does anyone know what the largest species of jumper are?
Eresus is not jumping spiders, they belong to Eresidae.
The largest jumping spider is suppose to be Phidippus otiosus, around 2cm in bodylength

/Lelle

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Btw George, you probably already know it, but be carreful this spider is protected in France/Corsica.
Cheers,
Eric