Opithacanthus rugiceps eats.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I was just feeding some scorpions and saw the most unexpected thing. My recently moulted O.rugiceps took food in front of me. He grabbed the cricket and then proceeded to sting it several times. Now, for those familar with these Ishnuridae, you will know that they are secretive and rarely sting anything. I guess he was hungry. :)

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Paul,

Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed and I lost all my scanned pics. I do have the photos still, though, so one of these days I'll re-scan them. In the meantime, there are these .

Cheers,
Dave

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Those are awesome pics, Dave!! The first I've seen of their kind! The O. rugiceps looks kind of like an emperor? Makes me wonder what the chances of my tiny "mystery" scorps being these are. Thanks for directing me to your photos!

Sorry to hear about your harddrive. Was it virus related? I have a friend who was able to retreive photos from my crashed hard drive. It was taken down by a special made virus. He wanted to get into the hard drive in order to study the virus. What he did was every day for a month he kept attempting to boot into windows. When it wouldn't he would shut it down. After around a month or two, he started it up (he did this daily) and lo and behold it opened right back up like normal. He retrieved my pics, located the viral source, and i gave him the hard drive for the trouble. It also put me into the know as far as who it was sending the virus. Pretty bad when the people you put trust in turn out to be having it in for you. Not sure why I threw that experience in, I guess since even when you think there's no hope for a crashed hard drive, sometimes there is!

Thanks again,

Paul

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The hard drive thing was, I believe, a physical defect. I'm getting a new drive on warrenty, anyhow.

Check out this pic of O.rugiceps. Might change your mind on the "looking like emps" front.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great lookin' scorps, Dave! Sorry to hear about your HD too. I just might start looking around for some Opisthacanthus soon. I believe that Glades has gotten the majority of the shipments lately of that species, in particular, so I just may get some soon. heheh... I'll probably be "hitting you up" for any additional info you may be able to assist me with, as well. If that's okay with you, of course.

tia,
edw.

Paul,

I had a very similar experience, though not exact (it seems at least). I'm very sorry to hear someone did this to you intentionally, perhaps. I hate that. I got one from my first cousin a short while back. Luckily, he called me and told me to be expecting it, because it crashed his out immediately and it was sent from his best friend's e-mail addy, who he and everyone else knew wouldn't ever do such a thing (his crashed too!). Strange occurances, but the stupid things can send themselves to everyone on someone's addy book nowadays. Make you wonder why someone would ever design one to cause such damage. *tear* Perhaps I'll be hearing more from you now that you seem to be back online. :D I sincerely hope so! I don't have that many people to actually chat with about scorpions. heheh...
I am still quite intrigued on those "mystery scorps" you got.

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
I'll probably be "hitting you up" for any additional info you may be able to assist me with, as well. If that's okay with you, of course.
Always a pleasure to help out a fellow enthusiast.

Cheers,
Dave

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave

Check out this pic of O.rugiceps. Might change your mind on the "looking like emps" front.

Cheers,
Dave
Oh, wow!! Yes, it does!! Awesome scorp!! Thanks for posting a more detailed pic!

Take care,

Paul

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Edward,

Sorry to hear about the virus! Definitely sucks when you've put money into a system and some jerk comes along and takes it down in one fell swoop!

Yeah, the person that sent it to me was supposedly helping me. The hacker who looked over the virus said it was unusual and that it was set on a timer to corrupt files whenever a particular file was opened. Once the files were corrupted, it wouldn't boot. Strangely enough, the virus eventually loosed it's grip on the hard drive. He said the programmer wrote it that way so it would be difficult to detect. He apparently wrote it so it was active only at certain times, and after a certain amount of time, would go into "hibernation". Weird.

I imagine the people writing the viruses do it because they can, and maybe it makes them feel powerful and superior. Or maybe they just don't like people. I've heard of viruses aimed at particular operating systems, windows in particular, due to the programmers hatred for Bill Gates.

I love chatting with you Edward, and am glad to chat with you anytime!!

I got in some what appear to be juvenile Opistophthalmus species, but I'm not sure. I'll try to get pics to post soon.

The mystery scorps are odd. I need to buy a copy of Scorpion World Catalogue, so I can attempt to identify scorpions better.

Take care,

Paul

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Paul,
Yup, a World Scorpion Catalog would be nice to have. I've been wanting to get my hands on one for a few years now, but to my acrediting, no success. It sounds like you've encountered a file similar to what I got a while back (VB script script file). It went through and ate up a huge number of mostly my music files and some program files. I am still hoping I got rid of it all before it went any farther, considering the anti-virus systems I have didn't pick it up as a virus. It changed the type of files that a huge number of them were. I do think I got it all though. :) I wish you the same luck.

Dave,
Any assistance is greatfully appreciated. There are many species which I would like to aquire, but as we all know, much information on them is not readily available, and if it is, there's not too many ways of knowing if the info provided is, indeed, accurate unless you know the person is well-endowed with a gift of scorpion keeping.

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Any assistance is greatfully appreciated. There are many species which I would like to aquire, but as we all know, much information on them is not readily available, and if it is, there's not too many ways of knowing if the info provided is, indeed, accurate unless you know the person is well-endowed with a gift of scorpion keeping.
True, but ultimately the care for most scorpions is "fudgable" by knowing a bit about where they come from. One of the benefits of dealing with very unspecialized generalists is that care isn't going to vary much from species to species.

When I first got my O.rugiceps I couldn't find much info on them at all. I did manage to find a little something about their habitat, though, and that plus a bit of observation has allowed me to keep them succesfuly.

Cheers,
Dave