Opistophthalmus sp question

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just curious... I noticed that at invertepet, Opistophthalmus glabifrons is listed as being dangerously venomous. I thought these weren't even buthids, so I'm just curious as to how venomous these scorps really are. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
No they are not dangerous...that is incorrect information... they will hurt from what I hear but Opistophthalmus sp. do not have dangerous venom...

Of coure if you have an allergic reaction that is a different story...even the most innocous venom can be dangerous if you have an allgery.

John
];')

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My 'information' is just an icon. I don't specifically state that it's in the same league as A. australis... But there is cause for caution. Check this link:

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chuaeecc/venom/venom2.htm

"Thus far, all the scorpions mentioned belongs to the family Buthidae. The above belongs to Scorpionidae and must come as a surprise to most. No deaths has been attributed to it but a research read by Dr Nils Bergman shows that O.glabrifons venom cause systemic neurologic symptoms in some victims. This generally means quite serious envenomation non-typical of Scorpionidae stings. It is one good example to ask anyone handling scorpions to exercise caution even in supposedly safe species."

Since I am selling this scorpion, I have to take all data I collect on them (even circumstantial) into consideration when I choose to label an invert as potentially dangerous or not. In this case, any erring is on the side of caution.

bill

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Makes sense to me Bill...you post rather frequently for a dealer and I tend to forget you have other liabilities to consider.

On that note All scorpions (and other venomous creatures) are potentially dangerous and even lethal whether or not they are considered hot if a systemic allergic reaction occurs.

For example...I am severly allergic to bee sting and could potentially die if the right bee/wasp stings me in the right place and I am witout my emergency medicine.

Most information I have seen (I have seen that site you linked to before too) regarding Opistophthalmus sp. is that it is not medically significant...the same with C.vittatus. Though with C. vittatus there have been one or two reports of deaths though they are generally attributed to anaphylactic shock rather than outright severe envenomation. The closely related species C.exilicauda, on the other hand, is considered by most to be a potentially deadly species even though is has not been responsible for a single death in the US since 1968...that does not mean one should throw caution to the wind. We have good medical technology in the US and there is antivenom for C.exilicauda. From most accounts of envenomation by C.exilicauda that I have seen, most people experience extreme pain and swelling to varying degrees.

As always, when considering the purchase of any venomous creature one must consider all reported accounts of reaction to being stung/bit as well as the general attitude of the particular creature. One must also consider the potential consequences if children or pets are also present.

John
];')