Opistophthalmus glabrifrons care

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
I've recently bought an Opistophtalmus glabifrons and I want know some information about this species carino, in particular about:

1. Temperature and Temperature resistance;
  2. Feeding behaviour;
  3. Enclosure size;
  4. Humidity;
  5. Ventilation;
  6. Good for a beginner (it's an hardy species or it's pretty fragile);
  7. Molt;
  8. Does It have some stress or death signal (kinda likes Tarantula death curl);
  9. Water;
  10. Life expectation (she's more than two years old and recently she gave birth).

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
These are questions you should have researched before buying a scorpion....

Here are some search results for you:

Search results
To be honest I already did research (both on the web and with other breeder), but I want to know other point of views. My biggest gripes are the substrate and the water bowl. For the substrate they recommended me coco fiber and for the water bowl they recommended me to put a paper towl in the bowl, even if the scorpion is an adult

Last edited:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
There's no need to put a paper towel in the water bowl. Just water in the bowl is fine. I think they burrow and they rarely come out, so you're not likely to see it for months. And I do believe they construct elaborate burrow systems. They also hiss (stridulate) when disturbed.

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
There's no need to put a paper towel in the water bowl. Just water in the bowl is fine. I think they burrow and they rarely come out, so you're not likely to see it for months. And I do believe they construct elaborate burrow systems. They also hiss (stridulate) when disturbed.
Regarding the enclosure, I bought a 30x30x30 cm glassa terrarium with a small iron mesh on the top. I think he will never reach the top of It even if I put 12-15 cm of substrate

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
No, they don't climb so there's very little chance of it getting out. The only way they could get out is if there was something it could use as a ramp (foliage, enclosure decorations etc) to climb up.

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
No, they don't climb so there's very little chance of it getting out. The only way they could get out is if there was something it could use as a ramp (foliage, enclosure decorations etc) to climb up.
Regarding the substrate I used a mix between peat and coco fiber, should I add also sand?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use excavator clay, sand and eco earth mix. Your scorpion will bury down and that will be pretty much all you'll see of him/her unless you're lucky and their burrow happens to be right at the side of the enclosure. I very, very, very, very occasionally see mine out and about. In fact mine makes some of my pet hole tarantulas seem outgoing.