Opinons please

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm in the middle of a substrate change for my Aussie T, Selenotypus plumipes, as I write this. I put her in a small container why I perform the change, and, whether you agree or don't, I would like to handle her. She's only small (bout 2.5 inches) and has shown no signs of aggression as I transferred her. That in mind, this would be the 1st time I have handled a spider. I know you can never guarantee antyhing, but do you think that she seems in the right mood and any tips as to avoid being bitten?

Cheers

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm I really am not familiar wiht the aussie Ts that much , but i have heard they are hyper defensive and potent venom. BUT if she gave no indication of trying to bite when you relocated her, she is proably as docile as she will get. jsut be carefull and hold her down low so if she falls it dosent hurt her. and move slowly and dont breathe on her.
and try to remain calm and if you do get a bite TRY not to toss her across the room.
Just know, that by handling her your chance of a bite went from near 0% to maybe 70% lol

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pick another species, that's the only tip I have. :D
I am not against handling, but I would agree with this. Although your T didn't show any signs of aggression, it could turn into a whole new ball game when it comes in contact with your skin. Plus these T's your talking about can move....FAST! I will say that (most in my experiences) young juvies like yours are less prone to bite than an older one. They just run.

If you feel the uncontrollable urge to hold it, do so in a closed room and cover any escape routes the T may take should it decide to bolt. You know this T better than all of us, use your best judgement and be careful!;)

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Talkenlate - pick another T for your handling urge.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh and one more thing. If you handle the little guy, make sure there is a second person in the room or close by. I was housing an H. Mac over the last week and it made it on to the middle of my back. Hard to get a T from the middle of your back alone.