Opinions :)

Aitch

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I’ve had b. Hamorri for about 2 years now and he’s going strong, feel like I have definitely got the hang of things after probably watching every youtube tarantula video online. Basically I really want to get a p. Metallica and a T. Stirmi. And that would probably be my full collection, does that sound an ok idea seeing as I do know quite a lot know and think I can handle it.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Why those 2 T,s?.What was the attraction for you.
I’ll let other folks answer your specific question.But,just curious why those animals?.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
T. Stirmi you may be ok with. However I’m not too sure a P. Metallica would be the best jump to go to. Although they can be fairly chill compared to some other pokies, they are still stupid fast, can be defensive and have strong venom. Not to mention keeping arboreals is completely different in many ways IMO. Needing way more ventilation and moisture just to name two things. I’d recommend an easier going arboreal that doesn’t get as big and isn’t an old world to start with. Just my two cents.
If done right, you could technically do it especially if you set them up right. However I just would worry about rehousing them as being one of your biggest challenges and you don’t have much experience with that at all with one slow growing T that are fairly chill and on the slower side.

Aitch

Arachnopeon
T. Stirmi you may be ok with. However I’m not too sure a P. Metallica would be the best jump to go to. Although they can be fairly chill compared to some other pokies, they are still stupid fast, can be defensive and have strong venom. Not to mention keeping arboreals is completely different in many ways IMO. Needing way more ventilation and moisture just to name two things. I’d recommend an easier going arboreal that doesn’t get as big and isn’t an old world to start with. Just my two cents.
If done right, you could technically do it especially if you set them up right. However I just would worry about rehousing them as being one of your biggest challenges and you don’t have much experience with that at all with one slow growing T that are fairly chill and on the slower side.
Thanks for your reply, yeah that is very true mine is soo chilled, I may give it a little longer then and have a look what’s about, I just realllly like those two species, I’d like to have one chilled T, an arboreal and a big stermi

docwade87

Arachnoknight
C. Versicolors are awesome. Easily obtained. As long as you set them up with tons of ventilation and offer a water dish, they are pretty easy to keep. Out in the open a lot. Not to mention beautiful and chill. Would be a good arboreal for ya.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Lots of arboreals out there.
Avics are super chill and look pretty.. At least to me.
Little cutie pies.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
T. stirmi’s are (usually) avid hair kickers.

Care for that cause getting tagged by those urticating hairs is going to suck.

Whiplash Girlchild

Arachnopeon
B. Hamorii is a very chill starter species I would say. My advice is the two species you would like to are nice, but they require a bit more care in terms of their environment and their dispositions.

I recommend another new world species, before getting a poki of any kind. Old worlds are faster and more venomous. T. Strimi grows to be very large and will require a great amount of humidity, a bit more care than a Hamorii.

Don't rush into it. Raising tarantulas is fun and exciting, however, they are living things and you should take care to make sure you properly research each species before accepting them into your home. They have the potential to live up to 30 years in some cases and that is a longterm responsibility.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I think a T. Stirmi is definitely doable just have to prepared for damp conditions and a flicking large spider sooner or later.

The P. Met would be a tough jump to make. Most would recommend caring for at least an avic or preferably a Psalmo(Cambridgei is closet time Poecilotheria I’ve had).
They grow pretty fast and are cheap so would be a great bridge. P. Mets are really more shy/light sensitive than most Pokies I’ve had so they’ll randomly get freaked out and run all over. They aren’t particularly defensive but could definitely get up some tongs in a hurry if they wanted to.

At the end of the day your the only one who knows what you can handle but logic would say it’s not a great idea to get a pokie. I’d be a hypocrite if I said absolutely don’t do it. My third was a sub adult P. Rufilata but I lucked out and she was a sweetheart.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
I also would recommend a c.versicolour. I've only just got one but it's gorgeous! You can make very interesting looking enclosures for them too, lots of fake plants and tall cork bark. Do some research as they need sufficient cross ventilation.
I watched mine hunt down it's first cricket last night! Exciting times!!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
An avic/Versicolor would really just be an introduction to housing an arboreal. Great Ts but I don’t feel they do much to prepare you for the possible challenges of a Pokie.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Maybe a Psalmopoeus species? A bit of a jump from a B. hamorii, but kind of an intermediate species between that and a P. metallica. Plus it's an amazing genus (my favorite actually). You'd get the hang of caring for a fast, arboreal tarantula, but without the risk of a serious bite.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Definitely do some serious research on the p Metallica if that’s in your bucket list. I will say from my short stint with arborials, and T’s in general, it’s hell on wheels when they decide to move. I’m less than a month into a 1” sling and it’s no joke compared to avics.

Hind site, even though I did a quite of research, I would have gone with a Psalmopoeus first, and still will.

If you’re an adult you can make an adult decision, but know that their are some serious consequences if things go south...not only for you but anyone you may live with. This is definitely a species that demands additional safeguarding, planning and a lot of confidence....once the enclosure is open (for whatever reason) you absolutely must have contingency plans. A second of hesitation could be a game changer.

I’ve seen a couple of posts where kids get their hands on them and spout how it’s either escaped and they didn’t tell anyone in the home or they’d rather get bitten soon or later, just blows my mind. Not saying this is you, but anyone going into owning a T with that mindset just makes me shake my head. A sling could do some damage, so keep that in mind.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Have you considered a L. Parahybana instead of a theraposa? They are much more obtainable,beginner friendly,and do get quite large. A very good alternative in my opinion. Good luck with anything you choose!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
That growth rate and aggressive attacks on prey is hard to match T. Blondi. They aren’t the prettiest but definitely are an entertaining spider to watch grow. I’ll likely get a blondi/Stirmi next time I order. Probably get a Stirmi 1/2 the price and grows just as fast(I believe)/looks almost the same.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
You've picked 2 interesting species that couldn't be more different from each other (and your hamorri) in terms of care, and behaviour.

I agree with the suggestions above to get a C versi as a stepping stone towards getting a P metallica. C versi slings can be super flighty, very fast and also jump. Dealing with that without ending up with the t on your hand is very good preparation imo.

My C versi sling usually tries to run out of the enclosure when startled. Just tonight it got out during maintenance, and as I tried to herd it back in, the only thing missing was comedy Benny Hill music. Dealing with a very fast and flighty t that you really have to watch your own movements around, is exactly the sort of preparation you need. If the t gets spooked chances are its through keeper carelessness and could have been avoided!

A T stirmi will need attention to moisture levels, probably a clean up crew to keep mould in check. They have horrible urticating hairs and will also end up with massive fangs. Meaning if you get bit, you'll likely need stitches and could end up with permanent tendon/ligament damage.

A Lasiodora parahybana would be a good choice of big, fast growing defensive tarantula. Without the moisture requirements to worry about.

That's just my opinion, forewarned is forearmed as they say. You need to know everything about the species you want to keep before hand so you can prepare.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My 2 cents. T Stirmi have much more difficult Tank Requirements. The increased humidity is harder to maintain and can aid in mite growth. P Metallica is an expensive T, is arboreal, hella fast and if you get bit it will hurt. Start with an Avic or Versi for your first Arboreal, sweet and you will get used to the speed with a low risk rate. If you just want a Big Terrestrial (Stirmi) get a Geniculata. Big, pretty, great eaters and much easier to house. With the P Metallica that would be a very pricey loss if something went wrong due to being new.

I have a C.Veris, Avic Avic, P Rufliata and P Regalis. So I speak with some experience on the subject. Again, all Ts have their own personal dispositions. My P Ruflilata is pretty sweet and mellow