Opinions wanted

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I will (finally) be getting a mature male C. cyaneopubescens for my female tomorrow. The issue is that my female hasn't eaten in about a month, despite my offering of food. She only molted on April 5, so I very much doubt that she's in premolt... however, it's possible. There is a very good possibility that I won't get another chance with this male, so I don't want to pair them only to have her molt a month from now. On the other hand, he's not getting any younger; he matured in the beginning of May.

Given my hot environment, it wouldn't be unheard of for this spider to be in premolt. She's just a hair under 5" dls. It's that time of year for molting, but only a two month turnaround time? Very unlikely. So that being said, what do you all think? Go ahead with the pairing, or wait out a month or two to see if she molts?

I apologize for the recent influx of threads on this topic from me, but my past pairings have been less than successful. I'm hoping for a different outcome this time.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'd go for it. The only spiders I've seen molt that quickly in a timeframe like that is slings and injured spiders. Let the boy do his business, and hope you get a sac my friend!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wait, why not?
This species is notorious for eating males. Even @louise f, an experienced breeder, lost her male.

I'm kind of with Tox on this one so far. I just can't imagine a molt that quickly, but a GBB not eating is not normal at all.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'd breed them ONE TIME. If it fails, maybe he will still be around later to retry. Males do live shorter lifespans but if he moulted in May -- he might have another few months to re-try. (fingers crossed)
Seems you have more to lose not trying than trying. Just... don't let her consume him!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I will (finally) be getting a mature male C. cyaneopubescens for my female tomorrow. The issue is that my female hasn't eaten in about a month, despite my offering of food. She only molted on April 5, so I very much doubt that she's in premolt... however, it's possible. There is a very good possibility that I won't get another chance with this male, so I don't want to pair them only to have her molt a month from now. On the other hand, he's not getting any younger; he matured in the beginning of May.

Given my hot environment, it wouldn't be unheard of for this spider to be in premolt. She's just a hair under 5" dls. It's that time of year for molting, but only a two month turnaround time? Very unlikely. So that being said, what do you all think? Go ahead with the pairing, or wait out a month or two to see if she molts?

I apologize for the recent influx of threads on this topic from me, but my past pairings have been less than successful. I'm hoping for a different outcome this time.
Maybe try a different type or sized prey? I got some horned worms at the show just to try. They have been a big hit with my big Ts and fat. I've not done any breeding but I know I'd feel better if she ate something. Is the abdomen plump and full?

cold blood

Staff member
If the t is not eating, I would feel better about pairing them....I'd just stand close guard with a ruler and tongs inches away to try to protect that male.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe try a different type or sized prey? I got some horned worms at the show just to try. They have been a big hit with my big Ts and fat. I've not done any breeding but I know I'd feel better if she ate something. Is the abdomen plump and full?
Yeah, she's definitely sporting a plump abdomen. She could be fatter, but she's not skinny by any means. I'm hoping that her lack of a reading response translates towards a male. I'll pick up some crickets tonight and try those.

@cold blood Alright, that's the plan. Although if she really wants that male, I doubt that I'd be quick enough to stop her.

Last edited:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight

I just tried out horn worms this last weekend...these things are AWESOME!!!!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just tried out horn worms this last weekend...these things are AWESOME!!!!!
Well my Mom would love for me to turn the Ts loose on all the ones she has in her garden but I can't do wild caught for fear of pesticides. She did find it amusing that I bought some when she kills everyone she sees in the garden. It was the whole, "You paid money for those" conversation.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I say go ahead and go for it, Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

However I will add, make sure you save me a sling to buy. I haven't bought a T from you yet :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I say go ahead and go for it, Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

However I will add, make sure you save me a sling to buy. I haven't bought a T from you yet :p
You know it! I'll hopefully also have some P. striata eventually.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Very nice! I'm not ready for a poec but I'd love a C. Cyaneopubescens. Very exciting for you :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
This species is notorious for eating males. Even @louise f, an experienced breeder, lost her male.

I'm kind of with Tox on this one so far. I just can't imagine a molt that quickly, but a GBB not eating is not normal at all.

They are indeed known for eating males. And no matter how experienced you are with the breeding, you can just never know for sure what happens.

The girl tags him if she wants to, no matter how much you do to protect him from her, but of course you should do your best to protect him.

With that said I`ll go with @cold blood and @Toxoderidae and just do it, why wait. You could risk loosing the male in the mean time. So IMO just go ahead and make some sweet lovin with those beautiful T`s ;)

I hope for the best. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thank you all for the responses :) It's unanimous, looks like my girl has a date this Friday. You know you'll all see how it goes.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Well my Mom would love for me to turn the Ts loose on all the ones she has in her garden but I can't do wild caught for fear of pesticides. She did find it amusing that I bought some when she kills everyone she sees in the garden. It was the whole, "You paid money for those" conversation.
While horn worms raised in captivity are safe, the wild ones get toxins from the tomato plant that will kill invertebrates.

EulersK Good luck with the dinner date ;)