opinions! versicolor or avicularia avicularia

rusted180

Arachnosquire
hey fellas.

wow.... i haven't even got my tarantulas yet in the mail ( they will arrive tomorrow!) but im already scoping out what my next T will be ahhahahahha! this hobby is dangerous.

but just wanted opinions on versicolor or avicularia avicularia. i plan on getting these down the line, but just wanted some opinions on these guys. Ive been reading a lot on them.. and they seem good for me after i gain some experience with my gbb and texas brown that will arrive tomorrow. theyre both beautiful but im leaning more towards the avic avic cuz i read they dont web nearly as much as versicolors or gbbs. other than that... they both are on my next list.. however i am also eyeing the metallica but i read they can get huge like maximum maximum 7 inches!!! whoa... i do love their metallic sheen tho. not sure if these web like versicolors.

thanks guys!

lipsticktarantula88

Arachnopeon
I currently have an unsexed (suspected female) Avicularia avicularia and a Caribena versicolor sling, and I must say my older Avicularia is very picky when it comes to eating such that it often refuses to eat for months. It is otherwise docile and stays out in the open for the most part, often roaming its enclosure. I did notice it liked to web its enclosure as a juvenile but since rehousing, it hasn't webbed at all. My versicolor on the other hand is a spectacular eater! So far it has webbed a good portion of its enclosure and I can always see it out roaming. In my opinion, both are great tarantulas to keep, although if I had to chose one over the other, I would pick the versicolor first just because of the way it takes down prey and the way each molt produces new colorations.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Both species are great for beginners! They require the same care.

They need a tall enclosure with lots of ventilation on the top and the sides. Cork bark (vertical, against the side of the enclosure) and plastic plants around the top of the enclosure.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
thanks for the reply and info.

yeah.. i more leaning towards the avic avic since my gbb will be webbing like crazy. i want variety in my collection. it be nice to have a enclosure that's not so heavily webbed considering i want to design it really well..I love how arboreal setups look! : ) hate for it to just be completely covered up with time.. but yeah i hear versicolors are great eaters!

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I landed on versicolor myself as my first...which is due to arrive on 6/2. So...go with the versi ;]

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
metallica but i read they can get huge like maximum maximum 7 inches!!!
I've never ever seen one that large, not the ones I raised, and not anyone elses. I'd need to see a picture to believe that.
i do love their metallic sheen
IME they don't have a metallica sheen. But metallic to one is bland to another! They are definitely poofy with fiber optic setae.

Versi is prob the best eater of all Avics out there which is why I like them. Most other Avics aren't not nearly as assertive as they for eating. They are sorta like the albo's of the Avic world.

Versi have a really great color change that is incremental, THAT is really cool to observe.

cold blood

Staff member
All avics will web eventually.....my A. avic enclosures are as webbed as any of my avics, caribena or ybyrapora.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Took my versi lass a couple of years to start webbing up outside her tube. Then went absolutely daft and now has 2 web sheet levels in her exo terra.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
All avics will web eventually.....my A. avic enclosures are as webbed as any of my avics, caribena or ybyrapora.
I SEE...good to know. it seems like anytime i see pics of the avic avic, their enclosures dont look heavily webbed like versicolors. but thanks for the heads up. something to think about for my choice

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Took my versi lass a couple of years to start webbing up outside her tube. Then went absolutely daft and now has 2 web sheet levels in her exo terra.
Would you be kind enough to post a pic or two, please?

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Of her or her enclosure? I don't really have pics that do her enclosure justice.
Sounds wild, figured I'd ask. I'm getting my first on Tuesday, so I'm trying to soak as much up of what I have to look forward to as I can. Thanks anyway, friend :]

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sounds wild, figured I'd ask. I'm getting my first on Tuesday, so I'm trying to soak as much up of what I have to look forward to as I can. Thanks anyway, friend :]
Right I've done this awful diagram. The original pic is from Jan 2017. 2nd pic is what her enclosure looks like top down.

C13BFC43-E289-4351-903D-32A6356B7237.jpeg
D9009107-1564-4308-B494-9B62D6764209.jpeg

Coming out onto the top floor.
4052CC94-2B23-4CB7-9B99-11504116B5B5.jpeg

And the stunning builder
9143A3A5-CEE8-4826-9D8C-5695758CAC2B.jpeg 9C07A158-B67F-410C-8586-08B82E47AC7E.jpeg E2E39895-7775-46B6-8329-1F6AEE3C6AB4.jpeg

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Right I've done this awful diagram. The original pic is from Jan 2017. 2nd pic is what her enclosure looks like top down.

View attachment 346366
View attachment 346367

Coming out onto the top floor.
View attachment 346368

And the stunning builder
View attachment 346369 View attachment 346370 View attachment 346372
WOW! THANKS, MAN! That's a GREAT diagram, & some A-class photography too, by the way...
You weren't joking about her going to town there, eh? That's crazy. When you say that it "took her a couple years to web outside her tube.." what do you mean by "tube?" The container she arrived in as a sling? How old is she now?
Thanks again, man...I sincerely appreciate you posting this ..she's a real gem!

basin79

ArachnoGod
WOW! THANKS, MAN! That's a GREAT diagram, & some A-class photography too, by the way...
You weren't joking about her going to town there, eh? That's crazy. When you say that it "took her a couple years to web outside her tube.." what do you mean by "tube?" The container she arrived in as a sling? How old is she now?
Thanks again, man...I sincerely appreciate you posting this ..she's a real gem!
Her cork bark tube you can see in the first pic. Well it's not a tube but once it was against the back of her enclosure there was just the single opening on the front to get in and out.

She web up a little around the entrance but nothing major for ages although I did get carried away with the 2 years.

cold blood

Staff member
20200527_154046.jpg 20200527_154054.jpg 20200527_154127.jpg 20200527_154205.jpg 20200527_154230.jpg

The first 2 are my AF A. avicularia mt#6 (aka metallica)

the third is one of my AF A. avic mt #1

Next is 2 C. laeta large slings

The last is A. juronesis mt#2

As you can see, eventually they all become web castles...it just takes some longer to go nuts webbing.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Laeta were the heaviest webbers of the Avicularia types I kept, then purpurea

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Her cork bark tube you can see in the first pic. Well it's not a tube but once it was against the back of her enclosure there was just the single opening on the front to get in and out.

She web up a little around the entrance but nothing major for ages although I did get carried away with the 2 years.
Ah, gotcha... Well thanks again for taking the time there, basin. Very much appreciated!