Opinions please.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im getting to the point where keeping tarantulas in big containers like 5 gallon tanks is taking up too much space. So, I was thinking of buying some containers that are about 13"x6.5"x4"(LxWxH) for my tarantulas to have room for more and my breeding of them. These containers are see through but not clear like plexiglass or glass. So, do tarantulas actually need hides if they are in containers where you can kinda see through. The containers I am thinking about getting won't have enough room for a hide because of the height. Opinions please. thanks.

Oh and before anyone says why not 2.5 gal, well cause those cost 10 bucks a piece which would be expensive for a couple of Ts.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hides in my opinion are a must...... it provides a safe haven for the T. Somewhere he or she can set up shop and call home. Now the hide is not always used I am aware of that but I think its imporant to at least offer it. Not every T likes to molt or eat or anything like that in the open.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes they still need the hides. It gives them security and a place to go. I have them in all sorts of containers also. There is no one that I know that has the room to keep too many large containers to house mass amounts. Just the way it is. With the sweaterbox type you can stack them nicely. Just make sure in stackable's that you don't go too high as they can become wobbly. We each must do as we must for our collections. Nice sized containers for room, a hide unless they are burrowers. But even some burrowers like hides. Hope this helps. You can make your own type of hides too. Plastic works well as it won't mold. You can cut them down but make sure if you do this it doesn't have any sharpe edges. You can use tubes like cut off the ends of plastic soda bottles. Use your imagination. Everyone does what they have to for their T's! Sorry I forgot to add ventilation and a water dish.....

Last edited:

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't need a whole lot of room anyway. When I first started out in the hobby, I tried giving a few of my t's larger cages, but they just stuck to one corner or another.

I learned quick that many t's feel safer in smaller cages. But then there are those terrestrial species who can ultilize all the space you can give them.. My T. blondis walk every inch of the cage every day it seems!

I say choose a container that has enough room for the following:

-A hide (could be anything-clay pots work great and are super cheap!)
-A water dish

I'd leave a bit of space for your t to molt but I've seen t's molt just fine in the most confined of spaces.

To answer your questions, I think the containers should work fine. I'd also check these out, they're way cheap and work great! The men's shoe box! Snap top lids, semi clear, light. non toxic acid free plastic, very affordable!

http://www.containerstore.com/brows...=61479&CATID=154&searchId=7805195&itemIndex=1

I still can't understand why people spend lots of money on tarantulas and skimp out on cages. Guess I'm one of the few who like displaying them. Keeps everything more organized too! Anyway, best of luck!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep thats what I use......... They stack easy and all I did was burn holes on the lid and the sides. I have no complaints and they are a great space saver!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I actually used those awhile back, but I forgot why I don't anymore, didn't like em I guess. On that link, I bought the first ones.

See I was thinking that since the area wasnt very large, it would think that the container is its burrow.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
container

An interesting container is water dispensers that are slightly blue , mostly clear, plastic with integrated handle. That are meant to sit on refrigerator shelf and dispense water. Tried it with a cobalt blue, and she has settled in fine. She definitely doesnt consider the whole container a burrow, because she is burrowing a tunnel down thru the substrate on one side of the container, and moves to the other half to wait for food. The container has a screw-on lid on top, so is very convenient.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think they should be givin a little room. its like putting a dog in a 4 by 4 pen. it wont die. but thats not a reason to do it. ive seen t's kept in little fruit jars. maybe im wrong but i just think they need a little breathing room. otherwise they are a specimen, not a pet.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think they should be givin a little room. its like putting a dog in a 4 by 4 pen. it wont die. but thats not a reason to do it. ive seen t's kept in little fruit jars. maybe im wrong but i just think they need a little breathing room. otherwise they are a specimen, not a pet.
Wrong way to think.............. follow me for a sec.....

With ground dwelling species where do they live in the wild?

Answer- holes in the ground and makshift hides by logs and such, they will always thank you for a hide.... even if they chose not to use it all the time.

What we give them in our house is much more then required most of the time. And a smaller setup for most will not hurt their health in any way.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
after my reply to this post i checked on my p. muranis that has refused food. i put her in a smaller cage with crickets and just over 24 hours she is eating again. so maybe i need to rethink the cage size thing.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
after my reply to this post i checked on my p. muranis that has refused food. i put her in a smaller cage with crickets and just over 24 hours she is eating again. so maybe i need to rethink the cage size thing.

What did you have her in before, and after?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just my 2 pence: i think those containers you are eyeing are not high enough. certainly not for burrowers, but nearly all of my terrestrials like to burrow to some extent as well, so i give them at least 3" of substrate. plus, a hide is essential for a ts well being. except for 1 specimen, my ts refuse to molt in the open. they either use their hides or burrow to molt, and with only 4" height, they can do neither.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
smaller enclosure

IME, I believe Ts just dont need big glass aquariums/enclosures. WE may think they want to have a large space to walk around in, but really, how far do they go from their burrow? And with a 'pet hole' T, they mainly stay in or near their burrow anyway.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the T's prefer having a hide but it is not a must. I've seen quite a few keepers keep tarantulas in small containers with no hides for years. The consept is that the T needs to be confined with some leg space to feel comfortable. If you could get it food and water in it's hide, it would never leave the hide. It would not need to. I think smaller containers would be fine without a hide. You can place a mound of dirt in the corner that it can dig in and it won't know the difference. I only have hides for a 1/4th of my collection and they all seem to be just fine. I don't think it's ideal but I also don't think it cause any issues for the T's.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im guessing you are using something like sweater boxes? kind of a white-clear plastic. i use the same things in my freedom breeder racks for my snakes. but i would still most definately give them a hide. even if its something inexpensive and not visually appealing. it will keep the spider happy and stress free. a must if you want to breed. :D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree about them having the hides i wish i had one lol ( one of them days you know i mean !!! ) -- phil

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i typically keep all but breeding project females in smaller containers. depending on the arrangement what i have taken to doing sometimes is making a built in burrow that fills all but ~20% of the volume of the container. for tarantulas i make cutaway built in burrows

you can generally see what the tarantula is doing. and as i keep smaller cages like that in opaque supercontainers the opportunistic burrowers i favor in those setups rarely web over the cutaway. what is nice is that if you built it right you can pull the whole insert out to do maintenance or grab a skin or whatever

doign this, the hide is built in to the cage and the cage doesn't take up that much room. i do this for Lasiodora, Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola and they really take to the setup.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep several tarantulas with no hide. They are in pretty small boxes and even deli cups. These boxes and cups are in a dark corner or closet where it stays dark. Now if you have them in a very bright room then yes you should have a hide. I also recommend a hide for breeding them with the exception of Aphonopelma hentzi which will readily breed and produce good sacs in a deli cup of all things! Note: the A hentzis are kept in a dark cabinet so I guess they think they are in a burrow ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im thinking about keeping half and half, of course these containers will only be for terrestrials. Burrows and webbers get something else. My room is painted black and the Ts are on a black shelf wiht one window. The windows blinds are closed 75% of the time. Do you think it would be fine with these conditions to provide no hide.

Thanks for all the input guys, All my tarantulas have a hides right now and have always had hides, I'm just thinking of making a change. I do not consider my tarantulas as pets, they are a hobby. I care for them with great husbandry but I don't consider them a pet like I do my bearded dragon, frogs, newts, skinks, dog, cat.

In The Tarantula Keepers Guide there are a couple pics where it shows the authors collection and I see no hides in his cages.