Opinions please ?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am a little concerned about my 3 inch E.murinus juvenile.
I just ( well, 4 or 5 days a go) transferred it to its new habitat ( a shoebox sized tub ), and it still hasn't done any signifigant digging yet ! I am getting anxious for it to do more silking, or start on its new burrow, but it just stays on the surface of the substrate--which is ,btw 100% premoistened peatmoss-- . I'm wondering if I should transplant its cube of tubes/ silk / dirt/ from its last enclosure, to get it a jump start in the new tank, but what do you think ? Will it start to "move in" soon ? I want to get it back on its feeding routine pretty soon, as it hasn't been eating since I moved it. The temp- in the cooler half- is 73 - 76 F , the humidity is very high, and I keep its tub mostly covered , so it is dark in there too. Well, I'd just appreciate any suggestions/ opinions you can offer ! Thanks !!

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it being dark and humid in there, maybe your t has decided it is in one big burrow. alot of my t's have taken some time before they start burrowing, especially in a setup like you describe. they feel safe because of the darkness and high humidity, like they are already in a burrow. im sure once youve disturbed it a few times it will start digging. also try a light cycle during the day, nothing spectacular, just some kind of light for it to set its internal clock. the light may also off-set its feeling of security and start it a'burrowing.

T

Tarantula

I would say give it a few more days befor eyou start premaking some burrows. Sometimes spiders take time to acclimate to new conditions.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you ! I will certainly try that !

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say just have some patience... the stress of a new home is probably disorienting the spider for a while.

I often find that it takes my tarantulas a week or so to start burrowing.