CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I am thinking of ordering a box of spiders. I have decided on getting a:
P. metallica
C. cyaneopubescens
A. Chalcodes
N. chromatus
and

P. puncher or P. Irminia (I have a P cambridgei)

Those who have experience, which do you prefer?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I gotta give the edge to P irmina. You have the cambridgei so you are used to the feisty'ness of the genus. Your A chalcodes is a blonde, so why buy 2 blonde tarantulas, giving the edge to the P irminia. The striking color pattern is incredible. They have a bit more of an attitude than your P cambridgei, but not really that much worse. An impressive T none the less.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with P. irminia, too. Those markings are just spectacular! (Ok, so I may be just a bit biased - my next T is likely to be a P. irminia to replace the one I lost following a bad molt last spring.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I may be an outlier, but I hated my P. irminia. People talk about a pet hole... well, my P. irminia was a pet cork tube. He was 3"dls when I saw him last, and by the time I saw him again, he had matured. Terrible appetite, disposition of an avic, and a ghost.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I like my P. irminia (about 2" juvie now) but you have to realize that they aren't going to be out much like a P. cambridgei. They are very shy, reclusive, and can be quite grumpy (though most Psalmos can be quite grumpy). Mine spends almost all of its time in its web tube it built around the back of its piece of cork. I see it a decent amount because the back of the web tube is against the enclosure wall.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Swap out the chalcodes for the pulcher and get the irminia.. North American terrestrials are slow growing pet rocks..

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I called my P. irminia Leggs for a reason, that's all i seen except for the rare instance i caught her out. Still very beautiful T'

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both of them look incredible to me. My P. irminia is almost always hidden. Comes out from time to time. But my P. pulcher is always out and only hidden from time to time.

louise f

Arachnoangel
It is a tough one, both of them looks stunning. But also both of my 2 females are always hidden and just never comes out. Haha but my cambridgei she is out and about every day. I know you had that already ( just saying ) hehe :angelic::D

Get both of them :):D

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I've got a particular soft spot for the Chalcodes just for that beautiful blonde color and the fact that they're right in my backyard lol. The P. irminia is absolutely gorgeous too, though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
New world terrestrials are slow growing pet rocks..
Theraphosa... Nhandu... Acanthoscurria... Hapalopus... Pamphobeteus... Phormictopus...... ;)

As for the thread's original question, I don't know, but if P. pulcher is less reclusive, I'd go with pulcher.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
P irminia all the way. im not sure if @EulersK talking abut the same species, lol both of mine nearly the exact opposite, its out at least once a day, eats like a monster, and acts like a OBT.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It all depends on what you want. if you want bright in your face colours that pop but you won't see much then it's P irminia. if you want subtle colours that you should see more then it should be P pulcher. I had the very same dilemma about a year ago and because i couldn't make up my mind i put it on the back burner but the more i research and look a the pulcher i now realise this is the most beautiful and I'm leaning towards it more

Jeff23

Arachnolord
All four of my Pulchers are visible front and center on the side of the deli cup. And they are growing fast. They have webbed up like crazy too. I have a P irmina but it is still too small for me to give an opinion for it yet.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
P irminia all the way. im not sure if @EulersK talking abut the same species, lol both of mine nearly the exact opposite, its out at least once a day, eats like a monster, and acts like a OBT.
Usually Unless they are in premolt P.irminia will be out what I consider pretty often compared to most "pet holes" .. Some examples of this species are extremely reclusive as in Eulersk experience...

I'm raising one now that never leaves her dirt organ pipes while her sac mate is out and about pretty often.. Her and her sac mate both have great appetites.

The last group I raised (3) were out roaming there enclosures like clockwork within 10-20mins after the lights in the room were turned off but had poor feeding responces compared to previous irminia I have raised..

While a Genera or Species can be expected to act similarly alot depends on that particular T..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Swap out the chalcodes for the pulcher and get the irminia.. North American terrestrials are slow growing pet rocks..
You're insane o_O Sure, most do grow pretty slowly, but pet rocks they are not. I'd actually venture to say that the vast minority are pet rocks.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You're insane o_O Sure, most do grow pretty slowly, but pet rocks they are not. I'd actually venture to say that the vast minority are pet rocks.
Well yea I'm as mad as the Chesire cat but it doesn't change the fact that aphnos are boring brown spiders...