Opinions on S. terrosus?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Really considering getting an S. terrosus, but family is against them due to venom. What is your guys opinion on them?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
where are you going to find a dealer willing to sell S terrosus to a 13 yo?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
where are you going to find a dealer willing to sell S terrosus to a 13 yo?
Seller at my local Reptile Show.. almost slackwater type sellers (tried selling a male P. metallica as "unsexed" for like 200 dollars and I called him out. He was selling S. terrosus for 15 bucks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Seller at my local Reptile Show.. almost slackwater type sellers (tried selling a male P. metallica as "unsexed" for like 200 dollars and I called him out. He was selling S. terrosus for 15 bucks.
are you sure it was even S terrosus? dont get it. it doesnt have nice colors, it doesnt get huge, and its venomous as hell. check Heteropoda lunula for a gorgeous giant true spider.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
No offense to you or your abilities, but no decent seller would sell that venomous of a specimen to a minor with out written legal parental consent. If for gods sake it ever got loose and bit you, family member, guest at your house, or a pet the seller would be liable for all damages and medical bills.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Whenever this topic comes up on Dutch forums, all hell breakes loose. Good to see that is not the case here.
I get why it would be an interesting animal to observe, with the hiding under sand and stuff. I was watching a YouTube video of it doing this, and i actually thought it could be nice to have one of those, so i searched online for info....after ten seconds i was like
'no okay thnx bye'.
I really enjoy these spiders...on YouTube ;)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Whenever this topic comes up on Dutch forums, all hell breakes loose. Good to see that is not the case here.
I get why it would be an interesting animal to observe, with the hiding under sand and stuff. I was watching a YouTube video of it doing this, and i actually thought it could be nice to have one of those, so i searched online for info....after ten seconds i was like
'no okay thnx bye'.
I really enjoy these spiders...on YouTube ;)
That's what attracted me to them, their almost ghost crab like behavior.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are fun spiders to keep, I have a couple right now and will be expecting some slings soon, but I do not believe they should be sold to just anyone. Like people have said, they are VERY venomous, they are not aggressive or even very defensive but they should not be messed with. They are very easy to care, just make sure the lid is secured and keep the enclosures away from anyone or anything that could knock it down or mess with it. With that said however...there are many other fun true spiders such as Heteropoda, Lycosids, Salticids, etc. I believe there is an American true spider that hunts in a similar way as Sicarius, just nowhere near as venomous. The genus Homalonychus, it doesn't come up for sale often though.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love my 2. Fantastic little spiders. I've got a few vids on my youtube channel of mine and some pics in my spider thread.

Easy to keep and can be kept without any issue if commonsense is used.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
No offense to you or your abilities, but no decent seller would sell that venomous of a specimen to a minor with out written legal parental consent. If for gods sake it ever got loose and bit you, family member, guest at your house, or a pet the seller would be liable for all damages and medical bills.
Believe it or not, most of the people I see selling this species are completely uneducated and irresponsible.

I once asked a vendor at a herp expo if they had any recluses, and was told that I was crazy, they rot your skin, you'll die, etc. Then tried to sell me a Sicarius. I've also heard them called non-lethal and (my favorite) neurotoxic.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep Homalonychus. They behave similarly, but don't always bury themselves all the way. Still a fun SAFE substitute for Sicarius. I handle mine all of the time, great spiders to show off because they aren't excessively fast either.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another piece of info i came across in a video, Sicarius is supposed to be a very hardy species, according to the video, it can last two months without food or water. Not a nice thought, should one escape :eek:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Another piece of info i came across in a video, Sicarius is supposed to be a very hardy species, according to the video, it can last two months without food or water. Not a nice thought, should one escape :eek:
I've read they can go 12 month without food.

The problem with Sicarius sp is there just doesn't seem to be anything concrete on them.

If they ever get a lot of attention I think they'll be straight on the DWA if their venom lives up to the stories on the net.

phillipthephiddipus

Arachnopeon
As a young teen, I've had plenty of wolfies and huntsmans. Way more active without the bite. Let me tell you my family would never let me buy a S.terrosus. Also, do you play WOT or war thunder?

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
I keep Homalonychus. They behave similarly, but don't always bury themselves all the way. Still a fun SAFE substitute for Sicarius. I handle mine all of the time, great spiders to show off because they aren't excessively fast either.
Can you tell us a little about how you keep them? I've been looking to get my hands on them for a while now.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've read they can go 12 month without food.

The problem with Sicarius sp is there just doesn't seem to be anything concrete on them.

If they ever get a lot of attention I think they'll be straight on the DWA.
As a young teen, I've had plenty of wolfies and huntsmans. Way more active without the bite. Let me tell you my family would never let me buy a S.terrosus. Also, do you play WOT or war thunder?
I know this wasn't aimed at me but I play WoT.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I play War Thunder. I have over 5000 hours logged. Send help

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep them in 12 oz deli cups with a sand/cocoa fiber mix. Mostly sand. I give them a small rock just for decor, and they sometimes sit on top of it. I think they get all the moisture they need from food so spraying or a water dish are unnecessary.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've kept Sicarius in the past and they're entertaining enough, but I think I prefer Homalonychus over them. Tend to be a bit more active and it's a neat native US species I can take to outreach events and show off.