KezyGLA

Arachnoking
On another note. Has anyone seen the google translation of 'Bumba cabocla'? :D

Edit: facebook translate heheh

image.jpeg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
And yeah I'm the idiot who talks to them while doing maintenance
Your not alone.. I'm that idiot also.. Except mine are usually swearing at me and I'm trying to explain why they shouldn't be trying to murder me... It's for your own good you sexy little beast this enclosure has a girl in it.. I hear she likes to party ;-) Lol..

Jeeze this post makes me realize just how bad I need more friends..Lol

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Besides spiders, I collect plants (palms, tropical trees, etc). All my wife hears from me is latin names. Spouses can adapt if they want to. Common names are so convoluted: some animals/plants have several common names, some have none, some common names could apply to a multitude of species, etc. I don't see how that helps anyone. With latin, there's the recognition of genera names you hear repeated; you start to understand that things are related, whereas with common names there's no organization or logic at all. Almost identical common names can be used for species that have no relationship to each other.
Oh I'm with you completely, he just is not interested in learning them. I guess because it really is my thing. He thinks their cool but beyond that, to him their a mild inconvenience over all. He also has a speech impediment that makes pronouciation of even some English words a challenge. The Latin names get him all tied up. ;).

All that being said, do you ever check your messages? I sent you a "conversation" almost a week ago. No love for the rat?? ;)
@Poec54

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I "named" mine but I didn't name mine. One, they were named by my 6 year old sister, and two, I don't call them by their names. Though, I am doing a presentation to some 7th graders about t's some time next month and will be using these names in conjunction with their scientific names...

Mastigoproctus giganteus 0.1.0 “Big Little T”
Brachypelma albopilosum 0.0.1 “Bob”
Brachypelma albopilosum 0.0.1 “George”
Grammostola rosea 0.1.0 “Rosie”
Grammostola rosea 1.0.0 “Harry Potter”
Grammostola pulchripes 1.0.0 “Chaco Lava”
Lasiodora parahybana 1.0.0 “Pinkalicious”
Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1 “Quicky”
Damon diadema 0.0.1 “Dema Dooa”
Pamphobeteus sp. “Santo Domingo Goliath” 0.0.1 “Mango”
Pamphobeteus sp. “Santo Domingo Goliath” 0.0.1 “Fire Tree”
Theraphosa stirmi 0.0.1 “Big Peach”
Liocheles australasiae 0.1.0 “Chocolate”
Centruriodes gracilis 0.0.1 “Red Rose”
Pasimachus depressus 0.0.1 “Warrior Big Guy”
Pasimachus depressus 0.0.1 “Mac N Cheese”
Pasimachus depressus 0.0.1 “Ding Ding”
Homoeomma sp. “Fire/Red” 0.0.1 “Rose Fire”
Homoeomma sp. “Fire/Red” 0.0.1 “Dum Dum”
Aphonopelma chalcodes 0.1.0 “Blondie”
Nhandu chromatus 0.0.1 “White Ice Cream”
Hapalopus sp. “Columbia Large” 0.0.1 “Lightning Strike”
Avicularia Avicularia 0.0.1 “Blue Skye”

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I name mine because I enjoy it and because I only have 12 at the moment. If I had a hundred Ts I seriously doubt I'd keep doing that. Especially if I were breeding them to sell. I've found that them having names also helps with people who are scared of spiders and meet my collection. It gives them a more "approachable" feel and I've noticed that people relax more when I say "this girl is named Ventress" and then explain what her genus and species is and answer any questions as opposed to just rattle off the latin name and be done with it.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I've found that them having names also helps with people who are scared of spiders and meet my collection. It gives them a more "approachable" feel and I've noticed that people relax more when I say "this girl is named Ventress" and then explain what her genus and species is and answer any questions as opposed to just rattle off the latin name and be done with it.
Definitely agreed.

acrooks

Arachnopeon
Haven't named any of mine except for the P. cancerides. That one is appropriately called @$$hole :D

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I've never named mine or the snakes I've had over the years. I take care of them and enjoy watching them, but I don't really view them as pets the same way as I do with my dogs.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
When you say captain there`s only one in my head, the rum drinking, funny moving :wacky: singing... dadadadadaaaaaa you got it. Captain Jack sparrow of course. Haha:D

I so love those movies. And he kinda resembles a B. albopilosum with all that hair....

louise f

Arachnoangel
I so love those movies. And he kinda resembles a B. albopilosum with all that hair....
Hehe i love them too. I could watch them all the time. Haha i remember a lot of the script from the 1st one.
Oohh i already have seen it to much didn't I :singing::angelic::kiss::D

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my friends name my Ts, which is how I end up with names like "Shaq Fu" and "Chronic the Spiderhog".

I don't really understand calling them a name since they don't have the capacity to understand it, but that's just me.
I find it easier to keep multiple specimens of the same species straight if I'm calling them by names instead of "B. albopilosum #4".

The mods really should just lock this thread now :shifty: The last time this blew up, it was 10+ pages and the thread was deleted. This is the mild one.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/naming-your-ts.282561/
Whoa! How is this such a controversial subject?

And yeah I'm the idiot who talks to them while doing maintenance and yes I know good and well they don't hear me.
I have a natural impulse to do this, but I try to stop myself because I don't want my breath or voice vibrations to scare my Ts.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I have my friends name my Ts, which is how I end up with names like "Shaq Fu" and "Chronic the Spiderhog".

I find it easier to keep multiple specimens of the same species straight if I'm calling them by names instead of "B. albopilosum #4".

I have a natural impulse to do this, but I try to stop myself because I don't want my breath or voice vibrations to scare my Ts.
You know it's time to brush your teeth when your Ts faint when you talk to them!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Yeah, that's what I thought too. A few posts ago I said what triggered the tantrums, insults, accusations, and name calling, mostly directed at me. Then those gentle and thoughtful souls disappeared after having purged themselves of their pent-up anger. I'm sure they felt better after that. It was a beautiful experience.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I only have 3 and 2 of them have names. The third one is a tiny sling. Maybe I will name him/her later when they are bigger.
I named the female E sp red Ramona and she's lovely. However, my daughter recently started at a new daycare and the director's name is Ramona. She called me the other day and was like "Hi this is Ramona" and I seriously thought "who is messing with me?" And then remembered who it was. By the way, it was the director and NOT the T calling. :happy:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's what I thought too. A few posts ago I said what triggered the tantrums, insults, accusations, and name calling, mostly directed at me. Then those gentle and thoughtful souls disappeared after having purged themselves of their pent-up anger. I'm sure they felt better after that. It was a beautiful experience.
:rolleyes:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
What is your opinion on naming your tarantulas? I always name mine since I always name my pets. I especially like giving them names that reflect their personality or color scheme.
I named all of mine. I had 31 at one point, but am now down to 23. Whatever name strikes your fancy. Some of mine are tongue-in-cheek (I named my GBB 'Sprite'). Multiples of the same species usually start with the same letter ('Valeria' and 'Vendetta' are my two P. regalis, and 'Valour' and 'Vixen' for two of my B. albopilosum that I got at the same time). I named my B. emilia in honour of Stan Schultz's late wife & a very long lived emilia that they owned once upon a time ('Duchess Marguerite')

My A. chalcodes was named Tombstone..... and so on. :D