Opinions on naming Tarantulas.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you own a label maker? If you do you must constantly be running out of print paper heheh
No, I hand-write all my labels actually. The slings are numbered and named :)

No doubt remembering 86 island names is easy. And of course there's a need to be able to refer to each of the individually, because other people care so much about it...
I don't have them all memorized, but they are all written down in my log book where I keep track of feedings/molts/pairings/etc.

I don't care if anyone else cares... I do it because I like to (;

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've named a few but not many. One of my B.smithi got the nickname 'Crazy Legs' after molting during transit and having curled oddly moving legs afterwards. It was still mobile but for the better part of the month it was something to watch it hunt down roaches. It was fine after the next molt but the nieces and nephews still ask me about Ole Crazy Legs.

Most of them just get the species named and a number. The communal setups are harder to track stats on and as slings you can't really tell one from the other. I keep track of them as a group and ensure all of them are well and healthy.

As far as the thread exploding maybe some people have matured since then. This and a lot of other thread topics when I first came here lead to meltdown threads. I never really got it personally as it just seemed like pretty foolish things to melt down over.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oooh yours too :p:D So much easier to remember right ? :astonished::D
You guys gotta be kidding me! Don't tell me your A.versicolor and mine have the same name!!! What a coincidence! Well, we have to be BBFFLK-something now!
:D

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I have to name mine since my husband won't even talk about them at all if I use the species name and I have a hard time remembering the common names sometimes.

louise f

Arachnoangel
unless there's a child in the house who may have trouble with latin
My 2 biggest sons learned all the latin names of T`s already. Now i just need to learn the little guy the same.:)
He is the only one of the 3 that actually are gonna grow up with T`s.
So I`m hoping he will like the spider hobby as much as i do, when he grow older. :angelic::)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Oooh yours too :p:D So much easier to remember right ? :astonished::D
And it's way more fun hearing your non T keeping friends trying to pronounce the names!

My favorite is when they ask well what does that mean and I just point to the T..Lol.. They never know what to say at that point.. ;-)

louise f

Arachnoangel
And it's way more fun hearing your non T keeping friends trying to pronounce the names!

My favorite is when they ask well what does that mean and I just point to the T..Lol.. They never know what to say at that point.. ;-)
Haha, that sounds very familier to me. :astonished::D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
All my critters get names. I have 86 OBT slings from one of my females... We named them after islands.

It makes it easier to discuss them with other folk, especially those without Ts. And, I just like naming things :)
I'm sure they all have a name for you too.. Does Captain William Bligh ring any bells? Lol..

louise f

Arachnoangel
I'm sure they all have a name for you too.. Does Captain William Bligh ring any bells? Lol..
When you say captain there`s only one in my head, the rum drinking, funny moving :wacky: singing... dadadadadaaaaaa you got it. Captain Jack sparrow of course. Haha:D

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
The mods really should just lock this thread now :shifty: The last time this blew up, it was 10+ pages and the thread was deleted. This is the mild one.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/naming-your-ts.282561/

If you want opinions, though...
I don't name them at all. After having only a few dozen specimens, it becomes impossible to keep track of the names in your head. This is especially true if you have multiples of the same species. My (now ex) girlfriend would name them, and it would help me communicate with her about them. A small handful of my absolute favorite specimens (about 5 spiders) have names, and that's all.

Although, it's an opinion. If you want to name them, name them. If you don't want to name them, then don't.
Oh my, I apologize. If I had known of the history of the similar thread I would have not made a new one.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have a B. vagans pair that I got as freebies. I was feeling cheeky, so I named them Bill and Steve, after Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. I got them mixed up before labeling, and they are both now named "Bilersteve". Bill or Steve. Billorsteve. Bilersteve.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As far as the thread exploding maybe some people have matured since then. This and a lot of other thread topics when I first came here lead to meltdown threads. I never really got it personally as it just seemed like pretty foolish things to melt down over.

Well since it's been brought up several times: Actually someone called in all the people they could think of, who then showed up to pile on and trash this forum. After venting, almost all of them disappeared without making any effort to improve anything, in spite of being asked to help numerous times (they all had excuses, that while they somehow found the time to complain for a week, they couldn't stick around to actually do anything constructive here - on the level of 'I have to rearrange my sock drawer' kind of responses - so lame it was funny). Gotta love hit-and-run hypocrites. Hey, if you'd like to see things done differently, pitch in and help. Show the members how you think it should be done. Walk the talk. Be a part of the solution. Don't come by here to take a dump and then run away.

BTW, the horrible, offensive thing I said that caused all hell to break loose was that: "If people put the time and energy into learning the subfamilies their tarantulas are in, that they do in coming up with clever nicknames, they'd be better off." I know, I know, shocking! There's a great place online that's packed with info on tarantula species, genera, and subfamilies (and what's valid and what's suspect). Highly recommended: Eight, a Site about Tarantulas. Check it out. It'll help you get up to speed. I printed off a copy and keep it handy for reference.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
only the best of the best in my collection get names!

in all seriousness, i think naming Ts gets useless and impossible after a while. i stopped at like 5.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I have approximately 40. All are named because I like to name them.
And yeah I'm the idiot who talks to them while doing maintenance and yes I know good and well they don't hear me. But, feel like their mine and naming them is part of the pleasure of having them for me. Zero issues with those who don't name. :p

Edited to correct auto correct corrections. -bites phone-

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have to name mine since my husband won't even talk about them at all if I use the species name and I have a hard time remembering the common names sometimes.

Besides spiders, I collect plants (palms, tropical trees, etc). All my wife hears from me is latin names. Spouses can adapt if they want to. Common names are so convoluted: some animals/plants have several common names, some have none, some common names could apply to a multitude of species, etc. I don't see how that helps anyone. With latin, there's the recognition of genera names you hear repeated; you start to understand that things are related, whereas with common names there's no organization or logic at all. Almost identical common names can be used for species that have no relationship to each other.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

My non T friends have great alternatives names. The most comon is "Gingerbutt". I'll let you figure that one out aha