Opinions on my first enclosure.

Vash71

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I just made my first leap into tarantula. After hours of research I decided to go with avicularia versicolor slings. Of course me being me, I ordered 2. They are on their way as I type. And of course, im worried about everything. The cross ventilation is my biggest concern. The pics you can see I put 1/8 holes, 5 or 6 on the sides and 4 on the handle side. No holes in the top. I choose vermiculite for the substrate. Moisten enough to you make sand castles. I didn't wet the cork board.
I know the enclosure is bigger then a lot recommend. I like to watch:)
I home is pretty dry. Do I need more holes? Holes in the lid? Let me have it. 1475811643145561259614.jpg 14758117033301786513342.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
How big are the spiders you are getting? Provided they're large enough, the enclosure you set up needs a lot more plants, located in the middle to top part of the wood. And add a water dish.

Substrate should be predominantly dry. The way vermiculite holds moisture, I wouldn't use it,

When the spider webs, you can also sprinkle a little water on the webbing weekly.

Vash71

Arachnopeon
How big are the spiders you are getting? Provided they're large enough, the enclosure you set up needs a lot more plants, located in the middle to top part of the wood. And add a water dish.

Substrate should be predominantly dry. The way vermiculite holds moisture, I wouldn't use it,

When the spider webs, you can also sprinkle a little water on the webbing weekly.

Vash71

Arachnopeon
1/2, to 3/4 inch, I've pretty much done this as a test for humidity. I think I'm Lso you going to swing by and pick up large clear pill bottles. Watching all the videos and things, I think I'm thinking there bigger than they are. So that I already I have thought of. We will see when they get here.

cold blood

Staff member
1/2, to 3/4 inch, I've pretty much done this as a test for humidity. I think I'm Lso you going to swing by and pick up large clear pill bottles. Watching all the videos and things, I think I'm thinking there bigger than they are. So that I already I have thought of. We will see when they get here.
A test for humidity??? Me thinks your research has led you astray. Focusing on humidity and numbers will only serve to over-complicate things. Predominantly dry sub, a water dish and proper cross ventilation is all you need to know.

At 1/2-3/4", you will want to put it in a 32 or even a 16oz deli cup....what you have is just too large...over-size containers for slings merely leads to them hiding a whole lot more and often eating a whole lot less aggressively and often.

Watching videos, unless specifically directed, is not a good way to "learn". There is vastly more bad info on these vids than good, and finding the few good vids amongst the mountain of bad is no easy task.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Use cocofiber or replace with dry vermic. Your concern for humidity is not needed in the form of damp sub.

Make sure there's a water bowl!!
Container too large for that T. Need what CB said to you

Stop looking at videos, how do you know what your are looking at is appropriate....

Vash71

Arachnopeon
Ok, let's back up. I watched vids to get ideas, seperating fact from opinions etc. Same thing I do with the forums. Everyone that has responded is knowe there stuff, and has opinions. The test was for me because I've never worked with any of these substrate. I wanted an idea of what to expect.
Wow they're super small. This is what I did.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, let's back up. I watched vids to get ideas, seperating fact from opinions etc. Same thing I do with the forums. Everyone that has responded is knowe there stuff, and has opinions. The test was for me because I've never worked with any of these substrate. I wanted an idea of what to expect.
Wow they're super small. This is what I did.
Those vials will work for maybe one molt. I used various sized Thorton vials, AMAC boxes, and 32 oz deli cups for when they are a bit larger (say 2" DLS).

You will need holes in the side walls of your container. I'd say a minimum of 4 vertical columns at the 12pm, 6pm, 3pm and 9pm positions. I cannot tell if there are holes there. If not, your Avics will likely die. Stagnant kills Avics every time.

Vash71

Arachnopeon
There are 4 holes, atleast I got that right.lol
Next thing is to find a pin Head source or the flight fruit flies. I tore apart a small cricket. About half for each.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Next thing is to find a pin Head source or the flight fruit flies. I tore apart a small cricket. About half for each.
"vertical columns" so like 4 holes in a vertical row on the 12, 3,6,9, positions. for a total of 16 holes, these guys need high vent.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Reread what I typed in order to help YOUR animals.

Fruit flies aren't a good source. Pinheads works great.< EDIT hah.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Reread what I typed in order to help YOUR animals.

Fruit flies aren't a good source. Pinheads OR in some ways easier, diced up mealies- ask @cold blood he uses them for the Avics I bought from him.
Actually the avics ate crickets (and an occasional roach), they've been the only slings I've raised that just prefer small crickets.

But once they get webbing, they do almost always take prekilled...once they get bigger, they're all over meal and wax worms.

Fruit flies are great, but they're both a pain in the you know what and theye nutritionally deficient, so they should only make up part of their diet.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
My versicolors are kept in old betta fish containers. The sub is kept dry other than when I drip just a few drops down the side of the containers and on the web for the tarantula to drink. They also have a water cap always full. One is about 3/4" and the others are around 1+".
I feed them crickets, either medium or large. I've never had success with mealworms, they strike them but let go immediately and seem more scared/confused by the worm than they do see it as prey..
For ventilation I have 4 vertical rows of 3 holes down the side, all on opposite sides, then 4 extra holes around the top of the container. Then a few on the lid for watering.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My versicolors are kept in old betta fish containers. The sub is kept dry other than when I drip just a few drops down the side of the containers and on the web for the tarantula to drink. They also have a water cap always full. One is about 3/4" and the others are around 1+".
I feed them crickets, either medium or large. I've never had success with mealworms, they strike them but let go immediately and seem more scared/confused by the worm than they do see it as prey..
For ventilation I have 4 vertical rows of 3 holes down the side, all on opposite sides, then 4 extra holes around the top of the container. Then a few on the lid for watering.
I love beta containers for Avics. I have a few just like that. I like that they come pre-punched with TINY holes in the lids, at least mine did.