opinions on mite spray

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, I'm going on a camping trip from Thurs to Memorial Day. I'm going with a bunch of people to go herping for snakes in south GA. I've been warned about the ticks and clouds of mosquitoes down there. I have a tick spray I use for mites on my reptiles' bedding. You also spray the tick repellant on your clothes before you go camping, and it's good for 2 months. Anyways, when I get back, will the mosquito repellant and tick spray being on my clothes actually harm my tarantulas at all? They won't be coming in direct contact with the chemicals from the spray. If it will harm them, what other options are there?

Bry

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I worried about this, too, coming back from the Amazon trip last summer. What I did was dump everything in the laundry room as soon as I got home and then ran everything through the wash about six times. It seemed to do the trick. I experienced no ill results at all among my collection.

Joy

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Joy, I'll do it that way then. I feel better now that I know the Amazon has a larger "pest insect" collection than south GA.

Anyone else have other insights? For those of you comedians, wallowing in mud beforehand is not an option. ;P

Bry

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Buy some millipedes, I forget which species, monkeys rub them all over themselves and it repels mosquitoes. ;)

Hey, it's better than wallowing in mud eh? ;P

Scott

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting. Where can I get some millipedes at such short notice? What if its the wrong species? Hehe...

Bry