Opinions on Mature males, to sell or Loan?

AshS

Arachnosquire
Here is a question that's been bugging me for the last few days. Now I know my T's are still slings, but after a conversation with my wife the other day, she has said that when my T's are old enough I might as well try and breed them. :wideyed::wideyed: (that took me by surprise). So it got me thinking, if either, or both my A. Genic or C. Versicolor (WHEN IT FINALLY GETS HERE!!) mature into males, do I Sell the males to a breeder or loan them in return for a percentage of the slings?
Personally I prefer the idea of the later. But I am keen to see what you guys think on this subject?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I would sell or trade the MM in almost all cases. Only if I knew the person really well would I do a breeding loan.

If I have the female I'd only buy or trade for a MM. I personally don't want to be responsible for someone else's male getting munched on or something else going wrong.

Last edited:

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
If and when you have males you may be better prepared to answer the question yourself. It really depends on what you want at the time. Many who aren't into large breeding projects will just sell the specimen. That way they don't have to deal with the slings.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I did two or three breeding loans when I was still pretty new to the hobby, forgot how many exactly. In one case, I never heard from the guy again. In another case, the female had a dud sac... and then I saw those slings for sale a month later. When I confronted him, apparently it wasn't my male that got her to produce a sac. It was someone else's.

So yeah. People are horrible and not to be trusted. I can count on one hand the number of people on this board that I'd do a loan with.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sell or trade them off unless you know the other person very well.( Like same city know them so you can kick the crap out of them if they screw you over :punch:) I can't tell you how many times I have been ripped off on breeding loans..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I did two or three breeding loans when I was still pretty new to the hobby, forgot how many exactly. In one case, I never heard from the guy again. In another case, the female had a dud sac... and then I saw those slings for sale a month later. When I confronted him, apparently it wasn't my male that got her to produce a sac. It was someone else's.

So yeah. People are horrible and not to be trusted. I can count on one hand the number of people on this board that I'd do a loan with.
I know the world is nog the happy unicorn and rainbows place, but that's disgusting.

In this aspect, it is a good thing the Dutch Theraposidae community is relatively small. Much more social 'pressure' (not really the word I was looking for, but can't think of another one that fits), so if a person pulled a stunt like that here, he can kiss his/her chances of selling or buying goodbye.

That being said, I just had one of my first GBB slings hooking out last week, and I opted for selling him because I don't have the space for a lot of slings. Also, this species has a high risk of males getting munched, which made selling him the better option for me imo.

AshS

Arachnosquire
I would sell or trade the MM in almost all cases. Only if I knew the person really well would I do a breeding loan.

If I have the female I'd only sale or trade for a MM. I personally don't want to be responsible for someone else's male getting munched on or something else going wrong.

Sell or trade them off unless you know the other person very well.( Like same city know them so you can kick the crap out of them if they screw you over :punch:) I can't tell you how many times I have been ripped off on breeding loans..
Thanks guys, Yeah I've heard the horror stories, and how people have been ripped off. If I were to loan, it would only be to a local breeder. If there is such a such a person near me. It really annoys me that some people can be so dishonest, it just puts people off.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
In another case, the female had a dud sac... and then I saw those slings for sale a month later. When I confronted him, apparently it wasn't my male that got her to produce a sac. It was someone else's.
Ahh yes that very scenario ended my breeding loan days. Not because I got ripped off but because it made me want to grab a ski mask and well...ya'know..:mask:

cold blood

Staff member
Do loans with people you know you can trust...trade with anyone else...if there's nothing to trade or you aren't looking to increase the size of your collection...sell them.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
To me it depends on the species. Something that is very cheap and very abundant I'd be more likely to keep. Something that the hobby needs more of and at a much cheaper price, I would sell or trade to increase the likelihood of that happening.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I really haven't thought of this before. I don't know why I am shocked by the dishonest loan
transactions, I see it all the time in other aspects of life.
Maybe I expected more from what I
consider a small and special community

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
So far I've opted to loan over selling, but coincidentally all my loans have been to long standing friends who I've dealt with repeatedly (@Thistles :angelic:) or other high profile or trusted members who have a reputation to protect.
If you have been around the boards much you'll see there are maybe 15 or so members active and credible enough to trust with a loan.

If you are new to the hobby though, I would opt to trade. Mature males are the best bargaining chips for some sweet trades to expand your collection.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've been burned. Try to trade or sell the male unless you know the trading partner well. Sometimes (ok, frequently) things don't go as planned but often they go just fine and your partner decides he needs the slings more than you do.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
do I Sell the males to a breeder or loan them in return for a percentage of the slings?
When my males mature, I plan to trade or sell them to a responsible breeder, because I don't want to breed them myself, and I don't want a whole bunch of slings.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So far I've traded most of my MMs away. I'm not interested in doing a breeding loan because of the risk of the male getting eaten - and because I don't want to deal with a bunch of slings, so the standard "split the sac" does not appeal to me. I'm more interested in freeing up the cage space so I can get something else!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd probably just sell any males I end up with on to a breeder, I don't trust anyone enough to do a breeding loan.