Opinions on beginner obligate burrower species

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
C.darlingi/C.marshalli. How often is it that you can truthfully say to have seen,better yet,own a spider with horns? :D

And when youre ready to advance to the next level,try checking out the E.murinus, i've always wanted to care for one for its beauty, but i dont think i am ready for it yet.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I've wanted an I. mira for quite some time, never had one before. By all accounts though, they're the definition of a pet hole. I know that @viper69 only sees his because it was kind enough to set up the burrow up against the wall of the enclosure.

If I were you, I'd choose the E. murinus mainly because of the confirmed sex and size.
That's a good point. I might not be ready to pull the trigger yet. My only drawback is that I only have deli cups handy and don't have a suitable enclosure for that size. A quick trip to Walmart can easily change that though..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's a good point. I might not be ready to pull the trigger yet. My only drawback is that I only have deli cups handy and don't have a suitable enclosure for that size. A quick trip to Walmart can easily change that though..
Walmart indeed. Tea jugs are the best things I've found for deep burrowing species. The one I linked is glass and therefore not suitable unless you can drill glass, but Walmart always has cheap plastic ones that work like a charm. Is there a Smart & Final near you? It's a restaurant supply store, and they've got an even better selection.

From what I've seen though, E. murinus will make long semi-deep burrows rather than going straight down like Ceratogyrus. Given that I personally don't like to rehouse burrowers very often, I'd go with a 5gal aquarium if I were you. That will suit your spider through adulthood. Just be sure that you have a secure lid, because burrowing spiders are obviously stronger than the norm.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've wanted an I. mira for quite some time, never had one before. By all accounts though, they're the definition of a pet hole. I know that @viper69 only sees his because it was kind enough to set up the burrow up against the wall of the enclosure.

If I were you, I'd choose the E. murinus mainly because of the confirmed sex and size.
Funny you mention her at this time. As of a week ago she has moved topside, and taken up residence. I can only speculate it's because she is going to molt and her burrow is too small. For some reason, her latest excavation many months ago left her with a burrow that only allowed her enough space to stand vertical, or on all 8's in a crouched position. Can't figure out why she hasn't excavated to make her place larger.....who knows.

She's been gradually webbing the walls of the container over her trapdoor where she hangs out the most.

It's the most odd thing I have ever observed since owning Ts.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Funny you mention her at this time. As of a week ago she has moved topside, and taken up residence. I can only speculate it's because she is going to molt and her burrow is too small. For some reason, her latest excavation many months ago left her with a burrow that only allowed her enough space to stand vertical, or on all 8's in a crouched position. Can't figure out why she hasn't excavated to make her place larger.....who knows.

She's been gradually webbing the walls of the container over her trapdoor where she hangs out the most.

It's the most odd thing I have ever observed since owning Ts.
Case closed. I'm getting one.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Or they could save some money and just fill an unoccupied enclosure with dirt.
It's basically the same thing.
I have a number of them and I see them all the time.
Both I.mira were out tonight and come out a few times a month. My A. ezendami female is out every day.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Case closed. I'm getting one.
A trapdoor tarantula is a MUST. Check out the videos on YouTube, some are hilarious w/this species. I THINK Kelly Swift of Swift's Inverts has some currently.
They are pretty neat I see them sometimes when they come out to drink but mostly when they are feeding. Here are two videos I got a while back of one of my I.mira Ts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are pretty neat I see them sometimes when they come out to drink but mostly when they are feeding. Here are two videos I got a while back of one of my I.mira Ts.

Love the vids, there's one out there, the mira races out, and cannot find the exact opening for the trap door. Fumbles around a lot in a feeding frenzy, I was sold when I saw that.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK if I recall, thinks they are highly underrated. A lot like how @cold blood and I feel N. incei are as well.
@Trenor absolutely, M. robustum are great. Some of the hardest working tarantulas I've seen, including the likes of Ceratogyrus. Extremely flightly and one of the faster NW terrestrials.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I like the colors and I don't mind them being on the shy side. I'll have to see if I can find a few of them to add to the collection.