Opinion on what would make a good beginner pet for me?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Hi there! I know there are plenty of forums and such discussing this already.. But I honestly can't decide. I figured that I would have a much easier time if I had actual people to talk to about this. Any and all opinions would be amazing!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi there! I know there are plenty of forums and such discussing this already.. But I honestly can't decide. I figured that I would have a much easier time if I had actual people to talk to about this. Any and all opinions would be amazing!
There's a member here who covers alot of ground with his youtube videos and here is one that suits your needs. Good job, member who makes these videos.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
There's a member here who covers alot of ground with his youtube videos and here is one that suits your needs. Good job, member who makes these videos.
@EulersK

I vote anything in the genus Brachypelmas or Grammostola. Maybe even Eauthlus sp. red/yellow if possible.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Have you got a narrowed down list? Maybe the ones that you have researched already and are confident about being able to meet their care requirements?
If you come back with a list of those you have researched and feel comfortable about, people will be able to give you better feedback.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks shining and BobBarley :)

If you have experience with other exotic pets, definitely look into A. geniculata. They do readily bite and do have relatively bad setae ("itchy hairs"), but if you've grown accustomed to other fast exotic pets, then you should be fine. If you don't have that experience, I'm a huge fan of A. seemanni - beautiful spider, very active, and pretty easy to care for. As Bob said, though, Euathlus would be a good place to look as well.

A quick note about tarantulas. These are "look, don't touch" pets. If you want something to hold, then perhaps look elsewhere. On top of that, if you keep them properly and they are comfortable in their environment, they're a bit... boring. At least, if you only have one or two. That's why I mentioned A. seemanni, since it is an active burrower, but even they go days without moving a leg sometimes. The term Pet Rock gets thrown around a lot, and it's not an exaggeration.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Scolopendra subspinipes, of course :-s

Sure, not a Theraphosidae, but in the "pet" league as well :troll:

jok

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you looked at a species at all or are interested in any specific ones?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Have you looked at a species at all or are interested in any specific ones?
Well, I would REALLY love to get an Avicularia versicolor, they are so very beautiful, but I'm about to about anything that isn't too aggressive/defensive.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go with a betta fish, super easy.

As far as tarantulas go, I'd advise a terrestrial first. Look into a Brachypelma or Grammostola. Both very easy to care for, have decent temperments, and come in a variety of beautiful colors.

Narrow it down a bit and then we can really get talking!

OK, avics arent hard to care for, but for the love of all things living DO NOT READ CARE SHEETS ON AVICS!!

Now that that is out of the way, they can be easy to care for if you have a good enclosure that has plenty of ventilation and a nice big water dish. No misting!

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Go with a betta fish, super easy.

As far as tarantulas go, I'd advise a terrestrial first. Look into a Brachypelma or Grammostola. Both very easy to care for, have decent temperments, and come in a variety of beautiful colors.

Narrow it down a bit and then we can really get talking!
I'm thinking maybe something from the Avicularia class? I love all of their colors. Or maybe from Grammostola.. I hear they are fairly docile.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm thinking maybe something from the Avicularia class? I love all of their colors. Or maybe from Grammostola.. I hear they are fairly docile.
G. pulchripes is a great choice, and they get to be quite large. I wouldn't exactly call them docile, though. I would only call a small number of species docile - hence the "look, don't touch" thing.

By the way, Avicularia is a genus, not a class ;)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've updated my answer. I'll quote it now: do not read care sheets on avics. They cite specific humidities which people try to hold to and that will kill them.

Avics are nice on the eyes, they're very easy going, they're good beginner arboreal tarantulas, and they can shoot poo at things (not sure if that's good or bad :D ). If given the right care, they're fairly easy to keep.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I've updated my answer. I'll quote it now: do not read care sheets on avics. They cite specific humidities which people try to hold to and that will kill them.

Avics are nice on the eyes, they're very easy going, they're good beginner arboreal tarantulas, and they can shoot poo at things (not sure if that's good or bad :D ). If given the right care, they're fairly easy to keep.
Poo shooting is certainly a plus. Great for home defense. That, and not everyone can say they have a pet that doubles as a semi-fire poo launcher.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Or maybe from Grammostola.. I hear they are fairly docile.
Don't get a G.porteri or rosea . Very unpredictable in nature . Look towards the Brachypelma first , maybe an albo or a vagans . If you can find one consider a Euathlus . Remember no Ts are truly docile , all can and will bite .

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

- Many people lose their first Avic or two, as they have a narrow range of acceptable conditions. Not good beginner spiders, especially from an Avic's point-of-view.

- G rosea are notorious for mood swings, sometimes being very defensive. The other species in that genus are better choices for you.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
In terms of being fairly docile, Avics are a good beginner genus. They are not as forgiving as a terrestrial to mistakes that new people to the hobby can make, though.
My personal advice is to start off with a terrestrial who is far more forgiving of errors and move onto an Avicularia species after you get the hang of it.
Can I also suggest that you post photos of the completed setup prior to having the animal in it? That way, if there are adjustments that need to be made, they can be done easily and without stressing the spider.