Opinion on what would make a good beginner pet for me?

Andy00

Arachnoknight
If you're going to go the "avic" way, then I suggest anything over 2" Also, keep the enclosure simple. Look into AMAC boxes, or 32oz deli cups for enclosures for slings/juveniles 1"-3" Once you have the enclosure, all you NEED is some fake plastic plant and a water dish inside the enclosure. I'm sure others will give you better advice. I do however suggest that you go with a terrestrial before. Look into the brachypelma genus, I'm sure you'd like some of them. I have a brachypelma albopilosum and a vagans and I love them.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Poo shooting is certainly a plus. Great for home defense. That, and not everyone can say they have a pet that doubles as a semi-fire poo launcher.
Lol sorry about the dislike, meant to hit "agree". Changed it :)

OP: Avicularia versicolor is a beautiful avic. Just make sure you get help here setting up the enclosure if you make it one of your first T's

No T can be called "docile" with some exception to Euathlus sp red and yellow. But some are more prone to threat displays and bolting

Look into Grammostola pulchripes, Aphonopelma Seemani, Euathlus sp red/yellow, and maybe Brachypelma smithi

I second @EulersK look but don't touch

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
- Many people lose their first Avic or two, as they have a narrow range of acceptable conditions.
Would you say this is largely due to care sheets and misinformation?

If given proper ventilation, a water dish, maybe damp (never soggy) sub, these guys seem like decent beginner tarantulas for those who listen (and avoid care sheets and pet store employees).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Would you say this is largely due to care sheets and misinformation?

If given proper ventilation, a water dish, maybe damp (never soggy) sub, these guys seem like decent beginner tarantulas for those who listen (and avoid care sheets and pet store employees).
That last part is the problem. Most people go with care sheets or pet store advice, and by the time they come here worried about their curling Avic, it's often too late.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
That last part is the problem. Most people go with care sheets or pet store advice, and by the time they come here worried about their curling Avic, it's often too late.
Right, and you can't really blame them. Care sheets are supposed to have the word "care" in them for a reason. Pet store employees should be more knowledgeable about their stock, but you can't blame them either. They're paid (pretty much) minimum wage and have no training and don't know basic care. All they can do is do what their manager/boss says, and the managers don't know more about t's than the regular employees. It's a pretty big issue.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Right, and you can't really blame them. Care sheets are supposed to have the word "care" in them for a reason. Pet store employees should be more knowledgeable about their stock, but you can't blame them either. They're paid (pretty much) minimum wage and have no training and don't know basic care. All they can do is do what their manager/boss says, and the managers don't know more about t's than the regular employees. It's a pretty big issue.
It makes sense when someone hears it put that way, but many don't think that far. I was in Petco a few days ago picking up some crickets, and I overheard an employee tell a mother and son that the bearded dragon didn't need a heat lamp. When the mother asked about winter, he said that they're hardy reptiles and would be fine. It's not a tarantula issue, it's an issue with everything over than dogs and cats. Half of them don't even know how to properly care for a betta fish.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
That's why I believe pet store should increase wages, but hire a more experienced employee. Restaurants have line cooks, fryers, prep, pantry, expo, head chef, servers, host, drive through, checkers, and bussers at different pay levels, why can't a per store do a tad bit of interviewing and research of their applicants? Would it be rediculous to ask employees to have specialized info, that they may actually be passionate about? I think increasing pet store employee pay and structuring animal specific employees is the first step

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
I would firstly recommend a terrestrial species since it's a lot more okay for you to make any mistakes. A lot of arboreals seem to be more sensitive to details, especially avics. If you can be on top of stuff and want a pretty spider, then an avic is good.
My first T was a G. Pulchripes. Once he molted and started getting his adult colors he became just as pretty as an avic in my opinion. Very docile too, I'm free to handle him whenever I want (except during molts obviously). And Grammostolas in general are said to be pretty good eaters despite taking the occasional fast. Mine has never missed a feeding.

cold blood

Staff member
It doesn't matter where the op gets one, as many people sell them, they're just such a perfect starter species....I wish I had started with one instead of that old G. potato...err, porteri.

Op may even be able to find one locally.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It doesn't matter where the op gets one, as many people sell them, they're just such a perfect starter species....I wish I had started with one instead of that old G. potato...err, porteri.

Op may even be able to find one locally.
Yeah, but then he wouldn't have a @cold blood T. Can't be cool without one of those :p

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Brachypelma albopilosum. Hands down. They're docile but can have attitude during the teenage years. They're a good size. Mine's going to hit 6 inches dls next molt. And they have a funky sense of humor:)eek: oh nooo. Was that noise the sound of old timers grinding their teeth:happy:)?
Anyhow the B. albopilosum is a great spider!

cold blood

Staff member
Brachypelma albopilosum. Hands down. They're docile but can have attitude during the teenage years. They're a good size. Mine's going to hit 6 inches dls next molt. And they have a funky sense of humor:)eek: oh nooo. Was that noise the sound of old timers grinding their teeth:happy:)?
Anyhow the B. albopilosum is a great spider!
Agreed, very similar to pulchripes in a lot of ways...I do think pulchripes looks a little nicer though....but another solid choice...I'd probably say as good of a choice as a pulchripes.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Curiosity here. B. cabloca is always promoted as a great beginner species but I have never seen one recommended on one of these posts.

Is that due to them not being readily available?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Curiosity here. B. cabloca is always promoted as a great beginner species but I have never seen one recommended on one of these posts.

Is that due to them not being readily available?
Pretty much. C. argentinense would be a good beginner species as well, but good luck finding one.