Opinion on my G. Pulchra set up?

coryrossion

Arachnopeon
Hello! I picked up my first T in years yesterday; an approx. 1.5' G. Pulchra which came with a 4x4x4 acrylic container. The way the reptile shop had it set up was somewhat depressing, so I took the liberty to make some improvements.

How I received it (and a pic of the T):
1656539935792.png

After cleaning out the container (moving it into the catch-cup was a breeze, it seems very docile), I put down a layer of shale pebbles that are common in my area of VA, then covered them with fallen oak leaves that were cut to fit the container as a form of a natural barrier. I then filled up at least 2' of the container with Creature soil for it to burrow around in, placed a small strip of curved bark for it's hide, and finished the enclosure off with a chunk of local moss and a few of the shale pebbles, along with it's water bowl.

1656541520832.png 1656541580325.png

I'm also using a Reptimed digital thermometer (you can see the probe on the lid in the background of the first pic) to make sure the temp is steady and between 75-80. I've ordered a larger enclosure for it (4x4x7) that I plan to make bioactive with springtails, isopods and a few plants/mosses, since it'll be living in that enclosure for longer.

Are there any changes that should be made or things I should be concerned about with the way the enclosure is now? Also, any recommendations on mosses/plants that work well in bioactive enclosures, or any tips on bioactive enclosures in general?

Thank you!

Edit: Learning quite a bit about vivariums and how it's likely not the best option for my T; I do genuinely appreciate the feedback and will be taking this into consideration when I make it's juvenile enclosure.

Last edited:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Skip the pebbles for a drainage layer, useless and not necessary. Skip the "bioactive" attempt. Useless and not necessary. Your G. pulchra prefers dry substrate,that would be impossible with a bioactive enclosure and plants. Keep it simple, keep your spider alive.

coryrossion

Arachnopeon
Skip the pebbles for a drainage layer, useless and not necessary. Skip the "bioactive" attempt. Useless and not necessary. Your G. pulchra prefers dry substrate,that would be impossible with a bioactive enclosure and plants. Keep it simple, keep your spider alive.
Your response sounds a bit dramatic- regardless of how "necessary" a bioactive enclosure is, I'd like to have one for my tarantula, as it'll be the only one I posess for at least a number of years and want to take the extra time and care for it's habitat. Though you're correct, I should have specified that I'm making a semi-arid bioactive vivarium for its eventual adult enclosure in the post. It will not be tropical and the humidity will be 55%-65%; clarifying that, I'm looking for mosses/plants that are comfortable with the more arid environment, and if there's anyone who's made such a vivarium before.

That being said, I agree that the drainage layer isn't really needed for it's juvenile enclosure due to the drier substrate and I'll be skipping it next time; is there a more arid-friendly substrate than Creature soil I should use, or something I should add to it to keep it from turning dusty in the lower humidity?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Are there any changes that should be made or things I should be concerned about with the way the enclosure is now? Also, any recommendations on mosses/plants that work well in bioactive enclosures, or any tips on bioactive enclosures in general?

Thank you!
Remember you're asking for advice and tips. If you're not really looking for that perhaps a FB group is better for you.
If you're looking for honest and sincere advice and tips from experienced keepers you're in the right place.
So stop being dramatic, because I'm certainly not. I'm not here to sugar coat anything, or BS you or just affirm your beliefs especially when they are misplaced.
First I can tell you are probably newer as a T keeper as you made mention of your neato cool thermometer. Also useless and unnecessary. T's do fine in most room temperatures humans are comfortable in, no need to keep them in a specific range as you mentioned.
The pebbles are unnecessary and useless. They serve no use as a drainage layer, hopefully you're not keep that G. pulchra that moist that you would need a drainage layer. Grammostola pulchra is a definite digger/bulldozer and will more than likely dig right down to the bottom of the enclosure and right down to the pebbles.

Bioactive is unnecessary and useless, especially for a beginner. Again, G. pulchra prefer dry substrate. The occasional overflow of their water dish is fine. But you'll be adding much more moisture to maintain your plants. As a new T keeper don't you think it would be better to learn the basics of T husbandry first before attempting some more complicated? I would hate to see you kill your first tarantula.
Substrate doesn't matter. You could use peat, Coco fiber, top soil, or a mix of any.
Edit: Yep, chasing humidity too huh? Just stop and learn here first.

coryrossion

Arachnopeon
Remember you're asking for advice and tips. If you're not really looking for that perhaps a FB group is better for you.
If you're looking for honest and sincere advice and tips from experienced keepers you're in the right place.
So stop being dramatic, because I'm certainly not. I'm not here to sugar coat anything, or BS you or just affirm your beliefs especially when they are misplaced.
First I can tell you are probably newer as a T keeper as you made mention of your neato cool thermometer. Also useless and unnecessary. T's do fine in most room temperatures humans are comfortable in, no need to keep them in a specific range as you mentioned.
The pebbles are unnecessary and useless. They serve no use as a drainage layer, hopefully you're not keep that G. pulchra that moist that you would need a drainage layer. Grammostola pulchra is a definite digger/bulldozer and will more than likely dig right down to the bottom of the enclosure and right down to the pebbles.

Bioactive is unnecessary and useless, especially for a beginner. Again, G. pulchra prefer dry substrate. The occasional overflow of their water dish is fine. But you'll be adding much more moisture to maintain your plants. As a new T keeper don't you think it would be better to learn the basics of T husbandry first before attempting some more complicated? I would hate to see you kill your first tarantula.
Substrate doesn't matter. You could use peat, Coco fiber, top soil, or a mix of any.
Edit: Yep, chasing humidity too huh? Just stop and learn here first.
Perhaps you're right. I'm sorry if I caused you offense, it was not my intention- as you pointed out, I'm a new keeper and I'm trying to do my best for a new pet that I've read much about but never actually owned. What would you personally recommend for the makeup of it's juvenile enclosure? So far as I understand it, no pebble bottom, a thick layer of Creature soil is fine for the drier humidity, the usual hide and water bowl. Would cork bark be alright to add for enrichment?

goonius

Arachnoknight
If you would like to decorate the enclosure with pretty bits of greenery, you can find dried lichens and mosses that require zero moisture but look very natural and alive. This is what we use to make our dry enclosures attractive.

I agree with @Frogdaddy that you need to get down the basics of care for your G pulchra and tailor the enclosure to suit its needs rather that a particular vision or aesthetic you have for the sake of your tarantula. Put its needs above all else and make the aesthetic a secondary concern.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your response sounds a bit dramatic-
It wasn't. That person is directed and to the point. Isn't that what you wanted- accurate information?

The advice you were provided, and the manner provided is exactly what I do. Some posters, like me, don't have the time, or care to write a long story to make sure everyone's feelings are taken into consideration. People are seeking information.

If you're not really looking for that perhaps a FB group is better for you.
BINGO!

True!

is there a more arid-friendly substrate than Creature soil
PURE topsoil is cheap and works well with Ts. I use coco fiber only because topsoil comes in too large a quantity by me generally.

coryrossion

Arachnopeon
If you would like to decorate the enclosure with pretty bits of greenery, you can find dried lichens and mosses that require zero moisture but look very natural and alive. This is what we use to make our dry enclosures attractive.

I agree with @Frogdaddy that you need to get down the basics of care for your G pulchra and tailor the enclosure to suit its needs rather that a particular vision or aesthetic you have for the sake of your tarantula. Put its needs above all else and make the aesthetic a secondary concern.
I'm agreeable to that; the reason that I'm wanting a vivarium (that would fit it's habitat) is due to hearing that they're better/more natural for the tarantula- if it was for aesthetic purposes, I would stick to plastic plants. Are vivariums/bioactive terrariums just for aesthetics then and don't have any benefits to the T? I feel like I'm missing, or at least misunderstanding, where @Frogdaddy is coming from beyond saying that it's beyond my level of experience.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I'm agreeable to that; the reason that I'm wanting a vivarium (that would fit it's habitat) is due to hearing that they're better/more natural for the tarantula- if it was for aesthetic purposes, I would stick to plastic plants. Are vivariums/bioactive terrariums just for aesthetics then and don't have any benefits to the T? I feel like I'm missing, or at least misunderstanding, where @Frogdaddy is coming from beyond saying that it's beyond my level of experience.
The downfall of many new T keepers (and subsequently their T's) is trying to replicate a natural habitat in a micro setting. Realistically speaking, you could probably set up a "bioactive" vivarium that your T will thrive in when it's an adult and you're working with something along the lines of a 20 or 30 or 50 gallon equivalent enclosure - but trying to do it in a 4"x4" plastic cube is folly. The sling needs mostly dry substrate that it can burrow in, something to hide under, and a small water dish to drink from. That's it for now. In 5 years when it is large enough for a big enclosure, you can play with the environment and conditions and if you make a slight miscalculation you probably won't kill your T. There is none of that margin for error in a small sling enclosure. If you're really itching to do it, build the big vivarium now and work on getting the conditions dialed in just right so that you can introduce the T to an established vivarium in the future.

Also, if you add isopods to a G. pulchra sling enclosure you'll have zero isopods and a fat sling within a week tops!

Good luck, and welcome!

goonius

Arachnoknight
The downfall of many new T keepers (and subsequently their T's) is trying to replicate a natural habitat in a micro setting. Realistically speaking, you could probably set up a "bioactive" vivarium that your T will thrive in when it's an adult and you're working with something along the lines of a 20 or 30 or 50 gallon equivalent enclosure - but trying to do it in a 4"x4" plastic cube is folly. The sling needs mostly dry substrate that it can burrow in, something to hide under, and a small water dish to drink from. That's it for now. In 5 years when it is large enough for a big enclosure, you can play with the environment and conditions and if you make a slight miscalculation you probably won't kill your T. There is none of that margin for error in a small sling enclosure. If you're really itching to do it, build the big vivarium now and work on getting the conditions dialed in just right so that you can introduce the T to an established vivarium in the future.

Also, if you add isopods to a G. pulchra sling enclosure you'll have zero isopods and a fat sling within a week tops!

Good luck, and welcome!
Well said. Getting a good vivarium established and perfected long before a hardy adult/subadult tarantula is introduced is the way to go.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Whatever the op does that pulchra is going to bulldoze anyway as stated keep it simple sub a hide n a water dish that you will have to empty of sub most days n refill, both my sam and my sling love to dig and regularly fill the dish with sub. My sam started in a natural looking viv dried moss lichen coverd sticks cork bark hide ..... he turned it into an acrylic viv of dirt within 2 weeks buried everything even the hide 🤣

And for reference the day he went in around May Screenshot_20220630-093443_Gallery.jpg
And now 20220630_094402.jpg
He is in his burrow at the bk in the second pic but you get my point pulchra like to dig 😊 enjoy your new friend 😉

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Hello? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Skip the moss and the peebles, live moss needs some moisture, and in a small enclosure can be a real issue.

Regarding the soil, topsoil, there is no discussion. They tend to overly excavate in loose substrates like coco fiber, hence the little buldozer naming. Topsoil will provide her better properties, like structural resistance, moisture retention and it's easy to maintain within correct parameters. @Charliemum maybe this can help you, TOPSOOOIL 🤣🤣🤣

They tend to like drier substrates, but also enjoy some moisture on it. That's why is suggested to offer them different spots. Too dry or too moist and then you could have a nice pet hole.

If your intentions are to make a vivarium, read, read a lot about it's habitat, you will be surprised how different it is compared to what people suggest. You will need a big enclosure, as it will help you to provide better gradients, from temps to moisture, this is mandatory. You will need a good substrate, coco fiber will turn that project into a real nightmare. Try to find a nice topsoil bag, made out of peat, clay, dirt and sand, it will help you a lot controlling the conditions inside, but the biggest improvement, it will be a good enclosure, period.

For now, keep it simple, learn about how your T behaves, what she preffers etc, and after you adquired that experience and the gained knowledge about it's habitat and your own climatic conditions, you can build a succesful setup.

@Frogdaddy enjoy some happidance, with plants 🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment VID_20220107_180703~2.mp4

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Hello? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Skip the moss and the peebles, live moss needs some moisture, and in a small enclosure can be a real issue.

Regarding the soil, topsoil, there is no discussion. They tend to overly excavate in loose substrates like coco fiber, hence the little buldozer naming. Topsoil will provide her better properties, like structural resistance, moisture retention and it's easy to maintain within correct parameters. @Charliemum maybe this can help you, TOPSOOOIL 🤣🤣🤣

They tend to like drier substrates, but also enjoy some moisture on it. That's why is suggested to offer them different spots. Too dry or too moist and then you could have a nice pet hole.

If your intentions are to make a vivarium, read, read a lot about it's habitat, you will be surprised how different it is compared to what people suggest. You will need a big enclosure, as it will help you to provide better gradients, from temps to moisture, this is mandatory. You will need a good substrate, coco fiber will turn that project into a real nightmare. Try to find a nice topsoil bag, made out of peat, clay, dirt and sand, it will help you a lot controlling the conditions inside, but the biggest improvement, it will be a good enclosure, period.

For now, keep it simple, learn about how your T behaves, what she preffers etc, and after you adquired that experience and the gained knowledge about it's habitat and your own climatic conditions, you can build a succesful setup.

@Frogdaddy enjoy some happidance, with plants 🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 422366
I shall try the top soil and see if it helps with his behaviour I did try eco earth arcaidia I think it's called in his last viv but he did the same thing just heaps everything up n sits on top of his hill and he is usually out but he is in heavy premoult atm so has took himself off to chill. I will definitely try top soil though once he moults thanks 😊

She's gorgeous n lmao that is the slowest happy dance ever 🤣 love your viv btw very nice .

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I shall try the top soil and see if it helps with his behaviour I did try eco earth arcaidia I think it's called in his last viv but he did the same thing just heaps everything up n sits on top of his hill and he is usually out but he is in heavy premoult atm so has took himself off to chill. I will definitely try top soil though once he moults thanks 😊

She's gorgeous n lmao that is the slowest happy dance ever 🤣 love your viv btw very nice .
Weeeee welcome to the club!! The membership only cost 5 bucks for life (50L) 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Those substrates usually are mainly peat+sand, so they lack bonding capabilities unless you moist them greatly. Maybe mixing it with clay could solve the bulldozing issue.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Weeeee welcome to the club!! The membership only cost 5 bucks for life (50L) 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Those substrates usually are mainly peat+sand, so they lack bonding capabilities unless you moist them greatly. Maybe mixing it with clay could solve the bulldozing issue.
Cool ty I shall have a go 👍 I go through sub pretty quickly as I have a larger than average collection so I do lots of rehousing probably work out way cheaper for top soil than coco fiber or eco earth (which personally I found rubbish for the price) I have been looking for an alternative so thank you for the suggestion for sure 😊

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You are welcome!!

Simply find the best sustrate that suit you best. For me a good topsoil doesn't have any rival.

coryrossion

Arachnopeon

Good luck, and welcome!
Ahhh ok, now I understand Frogdaddy's original comments better. Thank you for clarifying, I was honestly so confused! :bigtears:
So, for it's juvenile enclosure I'm getting in next week, just keep it simple and don't attempt anything bioactive/alive- this will be more than enough until it reaches a goodly size. I'd like to try topsoil for this enclosure, @Dorifto do you have a brand suggestion/what you use? Also, your enclosure is absolutely gorgeous!! I might DM you about the specifics to a vivarium specific for a pulchra, if you'd be alright with that.

As for the adult vivarium, I was planning on building it this summer so that I can get it established before my T grows. I did have the idea to do something on a smaller scale with it's juvenile enclosure, but I've been pointed the right way into keeping it simple and keep it to it's adult enclosure only, thank you all for teaching me! It was a lot of miscommunication/error on my part, and I'm glad that ya'll were honest with me.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
@Dorifto do you have a brand suggestion/what you use? Also, your enclosure is absolutely gorgeous!! I might DM you about the specifics to a vivarium specific for a pulchra, if you'd be alright with that.
Sure! You can DM me for whatever question you have.

I'm from overseas, so the brands may differ a lot in composition, but most common American brands are earthgro, westlands, scotts, lowes... But always check the composition for ADDED fertilizers. Don't worry if you see fertilizers on it, sometimes they have to publish the fertilizer levels. Things like 0'0X or 0'1X% shouldn't worry you. Try to find one made out of clay, peat, dirt organic matter and sand.

You can build the vivarium and see how it behaves, it can help you a lot before adding any inhabitants to it. Size wise, you can raise them without a problem in a stablished vivarium, as they have a lot of food sources wandering around, and this is the main issue they could encounter in a big enclosure, but being bioactive (real, do not mix it with planted alone ones) solves that food source issue.

I highly suggest you to keep it simple for now, and build it's final enclosure tonaee how it behaves. I'd use that time to learn from both, it will be very helpful for you, and more convenient for the T.