Opened the eggsac

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well after 9 weeks, I pulled the eggsac from my A. avicularia. Needless to say she was not a happy camper. I was very surprised to see that most of the eggs had not yet hatched, and there were about 8 eggss with legs moving in the sac. Is this normal? Did I pull the sac too early? Most people have recommended 30 days, and these were actually at day 62. Should I have hope for the remaining eggs that they still may hatch? Its been a bit cooler this spring and the temperature in my spider room has been sitting around 70 degrees.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ralph

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I would guess the temp had a lot to do with it. I kept mine at 80 degrees, and pulled the sac at 30 days. I had eggs with teeny nubby legs on them. A few days later, they molted into 1st instar (where they are fat, and not very mobile). 30 more days, and I had 2nd instar slings. This was with A versicolor, which I believe has approx the same incubation period.
Can you keep it a bit warmer?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Well after 9 weeks....I was very surprised to see that most of the eggs had not yet hatched, and there were about 8 eggss with legs moving in the sac. Its been a bit cooler this spring and the temperature in my spider room has been sitting around 70 degrees.
It's been a terrible spring. I have some babies that are a tad behind schedule myself. And I'm keepin' my room around 80 degrees F.
Your Avics are behind, but if you warm them up, they'll develop normally. It sounds like they're on the brink of eclosion (you have 8 already) anyways. Warming them up will help 'em out, so yes, there is hope for the eggs.
john

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
John/Holley,
Thanks for sharing. I'm going to warm up the room a bit and hope for the best. It's really been hard though this spring. Typically by now in South-Easter Virginia, every day in the the 80's or better, but this year, its been 60's and rainy.
I'll keep you all posted.
Take care and thanks!
Ralph

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long does it take, after mating, for an A. avicularia to drop an eggsac? Does it depend on certain factors like temperature, ventilation, feeding, humidity, etc?

kellygirl

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kelligirl,
The time for my A. avicularia was approximately 2 months. She was mated on 01/13/03 and produced the eggsac on 03/23/03. For my P. murinus, my female was mated on 09/08/02 and produced an eggsac on 10/13/02, so a little over a month there.
These are the only two I have successfully bred so far.
Ralph

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
KG -
mine too, were about 2 months, although one of my avics was EXACTLY 2 months (2.14.02 to 4.14.02).. she def made the most of valentines day (which i think its a load of crap anyways, but still)...

that was also a year ago, but...

it depends i think, to an extent, on temp...

humidity? I'm not too sure about, to be honest. I would say probably, maybe someone with more information would be able to answer that.

can't wait for the next versicolor breeding project! slings for all!

peace
dave

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well my female A. avic is a total whore and she hasn't shown any inclination towards eating the males... she's always game! So should I continue to mate them or will it just prolong the time before a sac is dropped?

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, if you can handle it, i'd say keep breeding.

I know i usually get as many as i can out of the males, and the same goes for the females.

but depends on how many leggy-babies you want, of course :)

peace
dave

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm assuming different types of Ts produce different numbers of eggs and therefore babies.

what about the ones you guys are breeding and what about curly hairs?