OOOPs!! sling moult time...

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep all my slings in the deli cups on a small tray....
i got them and took them to the kitchen table to feed them...(this is where i perform dismemberment surgery on the crickets and drop pieces in for the slings)....anyway..i keep the slings in two rows of 5...i start feeding them on bottom right corner and go clockwise from there....the first one i feed just happens to be the biggest one and the last one i feed just happens to be the smallest one (the one i call runt)....no reason for any of this.....thats just how i do it....so....i feed them all and i get to the last one, the runt, who is also the only one who hasnt moulted yet....i pick up its deli cup and open it and there it is sort of hanging suspended upside-down....i guess it doesnt get any food tonight!!.....i just hope i didnt disturb it too much with the handling of the tray and deli cup and feeding the others and such....
i assume it is trying to moult...it is overdue and its legs arent curled up or anything...but it sure didnt make a very good web pad to moult on...it just looks like it is suspended in mid air.....i guess sling silk must be much harder to see...anyway...i dropped in a few drops of water on the substrate and put the slings in a good warm place.....i will check in from time to time and see how it is doing.....do slings moult quicker than larger Ts?? or can it hang like this for hours and hours before it pops open and wiggles out of its old skin??

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DANG!! the sling answered my question for me....just in the time it took to type the thread i went back and checked and it has its fangs out and most of its legs...it is now wiggling its back legs out...i guess slings dont waste any time...but i dont know how long it had already been upside down before i found it like that.....so hopefully it will finish up just fine....

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well that didnt take any time at all....it has all of it's legs out and i can see its spinnerettes but it is still on its back doing the leg wiggle/pump thing......so i guess all is well and i didnt disturb it too much or it was just too far into the moult to be bothered at that point.....

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the little runt is now upright....so ALL 10 of my slings from Holley have successfully moulted........cool!!!..........and i didnt even think they would all live through 2 day shipping!!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've noticed molting activity with my B. albopiholleys also. Since most of them have burrowed, I'm not sure how many of them have molted at this point.

Botar