oOo What Size Tank oOo

LoveMaster1995

Arachnopeon
Hello Arachno Exsperts!

I Keep Many Aniamals as pets and study them. Recently Iv been thinking about starting a tarantula Collection! I want to now what size tank (plastic) will i need? Please give me answers in gallons! thanx

Chille Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea)

King Baboon Tarantula (Citharischius crawshayi)

Stripe-Knee Tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni)

Cobalt Blue Tarantula (Haplopelma lividum)

Rio Grand Gold Tarantula (Aphonopelma moderatum)

Mexican Red Knee Tarantula (Brachypelma smithii)

Could you please add some other species of tarantula aswell.
MY local Store sells plastic boxes with tight snap lids for:

5 Gallon: £1
10 Gallon: £2
15 Gallon: £3
20 Gallon: £4
25 Gallon: £5
30 Gallon: £6

and it goes on up to 75 Gallons and you can also get custom made ones! Just lettin u know.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All of those if adults are ok in a 10gal. The crawshayi and the lividum need deeper substrate then the rest because they are going to burrow their hearts out.

Everything but the lividum and the crawshayi could live in a 5 gal if you are pressed for space.
So are you getting all of those things at once? And they are all going to be your first Ts?

Tuotatis

Arachnopeon
Hello Arachno Exsperts!

I Keep Many Aniamals as pets and study them. Recently Iv been thinking about starting a tarantula Collection! I want to now what size tank (plastic) will i need? Please give me answers in gallons! thanx

Chille Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea)

King Baboon Tarantula (Citharischius crawshayi)

Stripe-Knee Tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni)

Cobalt Blue Tarantula (Haplopelma lividum)

Rio Grand Gold Tarantula (Aphonopelma moderatum)

Mexican Red Knee Tarantula (Brachypelma smithii)

Could you please add some other species of tarantula aswell.
MY local Store sells plastic boxes with tight snap lids for:

5 Gallon: £1
10 Gallon: £2
15 Gallon: £3
20 Gallon: £4
25 Gallon: £5
30 Gallon: £6

and it goes on up to 75 Gallons and you can also get custom made ones! Just lettin u know.
Hi!

Chille Rose Hair (Grammostola rosea): 15 Gallon

King Baboon Tarantula (Citharischius crawshayi): 30 Gallon

Stripe-Knee Tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni): 15 gallon

Cobalt Blue Tarantula (Haplopelma lividum): 10 Gallon

Rio Grand Gold Tarantula (Aphonopelma moderatum): 15 Gallon

Mexican Red Knee Tarantula (Brachypelma smithii): 15 Gallon

LoveMaster1995

Arachnopeon
Im Not getting them all at once! I dont know wich to start of with. Im not planning on handling it so the venom dosent bother me. I have most of the containers already. I have loads because there so cheap. I have basically two rooms with only half of one of them full and both are for animal studies. There going to be my first tarantulas! Would keeping a goliath bird eater in a 25 Gallon Be ok?

Tuotatis

Arachnopeon
Hi!

Brachypelma smithi is a vey good starter spider. Goliath spider is the T. blondi? For a blondi 25 Gallon is enough.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tarantulas! Would keeping a goliath bird eater in a 25 Gallon Be ok?

Sure if its an adult....... If its a sling or juvi thats a bit much. Keep in mind this is an addiction. Everyone plans on getting 5 or has a limit of 10 and the limit seems to always get broken. If space is not an issue knock youself out and get cages at any size you want.

King Baboon Tarantula (Citharischius crawshayi): 30 Gallon
30gal? I mean I guess you could if you have unlimited space for tanks like that. But Less then 1/2 of that will do just fine.

LoveMaster1995

Arachnopeon
Ok I think im guna get a Brachypelma smithi and is guna be a juvinile. Its guna be in a 10 Gallon whilst its yung and when its older ill move it into a 15 gallon. Is this spider terrestrial or aborial? Can they be kept together?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any of them can live in any of those if you really wanted too.

Heres my question do you have a space limit? If so, go with the 5 gal. If not go with the 10 gallon. That goes for all of them. Just make sure the C.crawshayi and H.lividum have alot of soil.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok I think im guna get a Brachypelma smithi and is guna be a juvinile. Its guna be in a 10 Gallon whilst its yung and when its older ill move it into a 15 gallon. Is this spider terrestrial or aborial? Can they be kept together?
Put a Juvenile B.smithi in some kind of plastic container. Smaller then a 5 gallon.

LoveMaster1995

Arachnopeon
Ok Ill put the juvenile in a 5 gallon and yes i have a large amount of space left. Iv got a section of the room for my inverts what im planning on keeping. Im using pot soil for my flooring and im having it 4 inches deep is that enough for a chillie rose ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The substrate in a tank is all relative to the size of the T. If you have an adult T and a 10 gal tank, your going to want to make sure that the farthest the T can fall is one body length. So with that in mind add substrate accordingly.
This is a precaution so that when they have their active phases and are climbing the walls and exploring you reduce the chance of them rupturing their abdomens or hurting themselves in some other way in an accidental fall.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok Ill put the juvenile in a 5 gallon and yes i have a large amount of space left. Iv got a section of the room for my inverts what im planning on keeping. Im using pot soil for my flooring and im having it 4 inches deep is that enough for a chillie rose ?
Does the potting soil have any chemicals in it or pesticides are anything else thats not natural? Make sure there is none of that.

Hm, 4" should be fine. Depending on what size tank your keeping it in.

I'm usually not against having Ts in big tanks when they are adults, but I think slings and juvies should get a small amount of space. Put the B.smithi in something smaller then a 5 gal.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A tarantula only really needs like 3-5 times its legspan in floor space. You can NOT keep a little juvie in a big tank. It'll get lost, rarely find its food, probably escape if the mesh isn't super-tight-knit, and you'll have to put in incredibly wasteful amounts of substrate just to follow the proper "distance from dirt to ceiling = one legspan or so" safety precautions.

Little spiderlings should be kept in vials, deli cups, or the smallest size critter keeper type enclosure you can get. Especially with the keepers, though, you have to be VERY sure that the T can't fit its head through the ventilation slits. We've had lots of board members lose babies that way.

With larger tarantulas...just follow the 3-5x legspan rule, and you'll be fine. You may want to go slightly larger for aggressive species, just to give them more room to get away from you during cage maintenance (and so you don't have to rehouse as often).