One of these two possums is an imposter!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
They probably think "Pfft! Covid? We are resistant to the rabies virus*, why would we worry about a flu virus?

Here is an amusing (I think) childhood story. When I was probably no more than 7 or 8 years old, I found a possum on my way home from school. A dead one. But not road-kill dead. Remembering what I had heard about them playing dead, I brought it home and put it in my front yard in the hopes of it springing back into action. Of course, my folks knew better, but my dad let it sit in the yard for a couple days before scooping it up in a snow shovel and disposing of it. Of course, at that time, I was unaware that my dad did that, and they let me believe that the possum revived and went on his possum way. Which could have backfired, they may have ended up with a front yard littered with possum corpses. :D

Disclaimer: RESISTANT, not immune. Something to keep in mind if one encounters one. For example, I'd be a bit leery of one out and about in broad daylight. I've encountered several through my life, and cannot think of one that was traipsing around early in the day. Dusk, yes, but they prefer the cover of night, for the most part. Which is not to say that if it is dark, they are absolutely safe. But, in their case, the odds are in your favour at least a bit. But any wild mammal that seems to be acting abnormally day or night should be avoided.