One of the advantages of having an office on a Canyon

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Phone Call from Production. "We have a spider in the building" Appears to be juvenile A Steindachneri.
I figured it was going to be a MM but this is only about 2.5 inches and lacks hooks or emboli
AphonJuvie.jpg

Penn

Arachnosquire
Phone Call from Production. "We have a spider in the building" Appears to be juvenile A Steindachneri.
I figured it was going to be a MM but this is only about 2.5 inches and lacks hooks or emboli
View attachment 360352
Very cool! Found my A. iodius when I went on a night hike here in Utah. Definitely gonna miss the wildlife when I move back east.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have a mature female A Steindacneri at home. I am thinking this is a juvenile male who was out because he's biologically programmed to do the autumn walk.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I have a mature female A Steindacneri at home. I am thinking this is a juvenile male who was out because he's biologically programmed to do the autumn walk.
Does this mean a future breeding project is in the works?👍

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
we had a small but MM come in about 2 weeks ago (before I got in) and the people freaked and killed it. I have given everyone standing orders to call me ASAP to prevent this
Killed it! That's messed up!!!!I love Steindachneri's!It's actually my favorite T.I own a juvenile female I acquired about 5 months ago.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Killed it! That's messed up!!!!I love Steindachneri's!It's actually my favorite T.I own a juvenile female I acquired about 5 months ago.
Heart breaking and saddening. People's fear and their un needed reactions.... I talked to the guy, and I said "Are ya single?" he said "Yes" and I said "How would you feel if someone killed you when you were headed out for some nooky?" I love them too. Hopefully I will have a successful breed at some point and have some slings

So cool! Will you keep this T or did you release him?
Keeping in hopes it's a male and I can breed when he's mature

rusted180

Arachnosquire
NICE @Matt Man !

Canyon??? i thought you lived in SD? eastside? i used to live in Del Mar when i attended ucsd... man i miss that school... i was such an idiot... I should of made more of it when i was younger.

you know what store i miss like hell? PET KINGDOM!!!!! that was the first time i saw a store carrying baby spiders! i was like.... "what??? you can raise them?" i remember it was a goliath something sling for like 80 bucks back in '04. Too bad i was into reefing then... But i remember I really wanted it. Had a rosea for a few months until my girlfriend at the time made me get rid of it.... glad that relationship didnt work out! LOL!!! she didnt even live with me man! she refused to come over as long as the rosea was at my apartment... what a jerk. I bet that T would still be alive if i kept it too... I wonder if it survived.. i remember selling the whole setup to some guy on craigslist... some guy that didnt know squat... wish i knew about this forum.. at least i could of gave it to someone on here.

@Matt Man , pm me if you ever breed and get a sack. ill love to buy a sling off ya! itll give me and the wife an excuse to come visit my old stomping grounds... in fact we visit SD every 2 months or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
NICE @Matt Man !

Canyon??? i thought you lived in SD? eastside? i used to live in Del Mar when i attended ucsd... man i miss that school... i was such an idiot... I should of made more of it when i was younger.

you know what store i miss like hell? PET KINGDOM!!!!! that was the first time i saw a store carrying baby spiders! i was like.... "what??? you can raise them?" i remember it was a goliath something sling for like 80 bucks back in '04. Too bad i was into reefing then... But i remember I really wanted it. Had a rosea for a few months until my girlfriend at the time made me get rid of it.... glad that relationship didnt work out! LOL!!! she didnt even live with me man! she refused to come over as long as the rosea was at my apartment... what a jerk. I bet that T would still be alive if i kept it too... I wonder if it survived.. i remember selling the whole setup to some guy on craigslist... some guy that didnt know squat... wish i knew about this forum.. at least i could of gave it to someone on here.
I live in North Park, close to both Florida and Switzer Canyons, but my office is in Poway on one of the feeder canyons of Sycamore Canyon. I'm a UCSD Grad as well, Warren College '86 (I'm an old dude). My daughter and I are regulars @ Pet Kingdom. Picked up a B Auratum sling awhile back when I went in for feeders. If I wind up with a sac, I will let you know.

Heck you probably have some right out your back door. Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.17.02 PM.png

rusted180

Arachnosquire
I live in North Park, close to both Florida and Switzer Canyons, but my office is in Poway on one of the feeder canyons of Sycamore Canyon. I'm a UCSD Grad as well, Warren College '86 (I'm an old dude). My daughter and I are regulars @ Pet Kingdom. Picked up a B Auratum sling awhile back when I went in for feeders. If I wind up with a sac, I will let you know.
NO WAY! nice to meet a fellow Triton! I graduated in 2005 Marshall College.. Man i miss SD. should of stayed and not went back to LA county. Hate it here now. sucks. Sorry to anyone who loves LA. I just miss the air in SD and the beach. More peaceful too.. I wish when i was younger, i could of made more friends and done more things... i was so closed minded... only wanted to hang out with certain kinds of ppl and smoke pot and do various drugs all day long... i was such a lost person... wretched in fact.. Found God years later and view on life changed for the better. All God not me.
I also miss aquatic warehouse too. best LFS ever! and Pet Kingdom was the best LPS ever!
BTW @Matt Padilla who owns The spider room in Rancho Cucamonga used to go to SDSU, he and i talked last time about pet kingdom and how cool it was.. I loved how their employees knew there stuff too. Its not like a typical LPS. BTW i know Rancho may be far from ya... but check his store out... it's freaking awesome! good prices and he has a crazy selection!

Heck you probably have some right out your back door. View attachment 360365
FUnny you say that! my wife was doing outdoor yoga in glendale ( city near by) in a hiking park and she snapped a photo of a MM jet black T walking by them!
I was like, why didnt you grab it!???!! obviously i knew why lol!
Yeah ive been meaning to go out to search near by angeles crest mountains... im sure ill run across some... but i wish my dang herp friend was into T's, itll be funner with someone coming along.. but one of these days, i have to!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
looks like the Altadena Foothills are a great locale. Now seems to be the time. I was walking along the rim of Penasquitos and came across a BIG female Eutylenum. I just helped her off the trail and into safety. I'll go check the Spider Room when all the Covid settles. My daughter and I typically wind up there in the area fairly often. I am guessing at some point my daughter will probably work at PK.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
NICE @Matt Man !

I miss Pet Kingdom so much too! I just recently moved away from SD and honestly don't miss it that much....aside from the exotic pet shops. LLL Reptile, Pet Kingdom, Reef and Reptile, etc. Always so tempting whenever I walked into one of those shops. It was really fun.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
A Steindachneri is one the few T's left on my wish list. I rarely see them for sale and when I do they're always sold out. Would love to get either a sub-adult female or least 3 slings. It would be nice to see more captive-bred of this species offered.

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
A Steindachneri is one the few T's left on my wish list. I rarely see them for sale and when I do they're always sold out. Would love to get either a sub-adult female or least 3 slings. It would be nice to see more captive-bred of this species offered.
And if you find them, they're pretty pricey!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
well let's all cross our fingers and hope I can get a successful breed at some point. They are lovely Ts but so far in my years of keeping them I have found them leaning to the cranky side of Aphonopelma behavior.