One of my tarantulas bit me.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
But I don't want to post this in Bite Reports, since I'm not sure which one of them bit me.

Last night I was handling my P. murinus, my T. blondi, and my L. cristata. I had them out for a while (not simultaneously, of course), and then I put them back. Then I got into bed. While getting into bed, I noticed a sharp pain at the first joint of my right ring finger. It didn't hurt constantly, only when I touched that joint or bent my finger.

Five hours later, I woke up and the pain was still there. The pain was still only experienced when I bent my finger or touched that particular joint. Looking closely at my finger, I could see two tiny raised bumps. Other than a small amount of pain, I experienced no other effects. No redness or swelling.

I suspect it may have been a mostly dry bite. I'm not certain about that, but I just expected a tarantula bite to be much worse than what I experienced. What's weird is that I didn't realize I was bitten until after I had already put my tarantulas away. :confused:

Still, it would have been nice to know which one of my tarantulas bit me.
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
Are you sure you didn't have a fourth one in your bed?

Bill
 

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
Originally posted by conipto
Are you sure you didn't have a fourth one in your bed?

Bill
There may have been a spider in my bed, but it wouldn't have been a tarantula. I live in Florida, and all my Ts are in their cages.

It still could have been from some native spider crawling around in my house, but I doubt that. That would be an awfully big coincidence.
 

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
285
heh.
Whats with this .
First we all get molts around the same time now we get bit at the same time?

maybe all us tarantula keepers are linked or something eh?:D

I just got bombarded with T.blondi hairs today and my hand is completely red with white bumps.. YEY!

Oh and if it was your usambara you would have felt it ... trust me :D
 

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
907
What size are your t's? If there adults, for some reason I think if it had bite you would know it at the time. Their fangs are very large and when they bite the motion is very deliberate.
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by whoami?
While getting into bed, I noticed a sharp pain at the first joint of my right ring finger. It didn't hurt constantly, only when I touched that joint or bent my finger.

Five hours later, I woke up and the pain was still there. The pain was still only experienced when I bent my finger or touched that particular joint. Looking closely at my finger, I could see two tiny raised bumps. Other than a small amount of pain, I experienced no other effects. No redness or swelling.

My guess is that you are experiencing the effect of urticating hairs rather than fangs. I've experienced exactly the phenomenon you describe after handling Brachypelmae and (sometimes) Grammastola. The area around the joints seems particularly prone to this (perhaps the skin there isn't as calloused as the rest of the hand), and sometimes the effects are not immediate but take a while to develop.

Joy
 

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
1,056
Re: Re: One of my tarantulas bit me.

Originally posted by Joy
My guess is that you are experiencing the effect of urticating hairs rather than fangs. I've experienced exactly the phenomenon you describe after handling Brachypelmae and (sometimes) Grammastola. The area around the joints seems particularly prone to this (perhaps the skin there isn't as calloused as the rest of the hand), and sometimes the effects are not immediate but take a while to develop.

Joy

i was thinking that too. esp if you were handling your blondi.

kellygirl
 

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
706
I have the exact same reaction to urticating hairs , especially those of spiders from the genus Theraphosa.
 

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
715
I am so glad that I'm one of the few that does not have any reaction to urticating hair whatsoever. Hehehe.
 

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
907
Originally posted by lam
I am so glad that I'm one of the few that does not have any reaction to urticating hair whatsoever. Hehehe.
Your a lucky duck, I hate getting haired.;)
 

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
1,571
Originally posted by lam
I am so glad that I'm one of the few that does not have any reaction to urticating hair whatsoever. Hehehe.
Well, you know what they say Iam...'Bathe in it, and..'
 

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
1,062
Originally posted by whoami?
I live in Florida, and all my Ts are in their cages.
Are u going to kill us now ? :(

BTW...Its wierd you didnt feel it bite. How big are your tarantulas ?
 

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
715
Originally posted by Vys
Well, you know what they say Iam...'Bathe in it, and..'
Not only do I not get any reaction from the urticating hair, I am also immune to poison ivy. Strange that the only thing my body seem to react to are my own cells.
 

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
Yeah, I'm starting to think it's the hairs.

I've been haired before, and it just itched pretty badly. But the "bite" on my finger didn't itch in the least. It just hurt.

But now the pain is gone, and the "bite" just itches. So I guess I probably just got haired.

Still, I think it's weird that this time felt so different than the other times I was haired. Either I'm getting more sensitive to hairs, or I just got haired in a particularly sensitive spot.
 
Top