On my land

Turfrantula

Arachnopeon
20200515_104848.jpg
Saw this fellow working his way across the driveway.
31513.jpeg
This young lady has a nest somewhere close by. This is the second year for a hummingbird pair here. They show no fear and will buzz inches from your face.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Inches from face- highly unusual for hummingbirds in my experience- they are very flighty doesn’t take much for them to fligh away

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Inches from face- highly unusual for hummingbirds in my experience- they are very flighty doesn’t take much for them to fligh away
Yes, that's my experience too, and it's very frustrating that I can never get them to hold still long enough to get a close-up photo.
Maybe this OP Turfrantula wears flowery-smelling cologne or Hawaiian shirts, or maybe he isn't as scary-looking as we are!

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Back home we had papayas and these big thorny trees (silk trees I think) growing in our yard. They seemed to attract lots of hummingbirds, and the hummingbirds would fly right at your face and stare you down. It was terrifying. It was like a dart coming right at you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Back home we had papayas and these big thorny trees (silk trees I think) growing in our yard. They seemed to attract lots of hummingbirds, and the hummingbirds would fly right at your face and stare you down. It was terrifying. It was like a dart coming right at you.
That’s amazing and incredible photo opportunity too, wish I was in an area like that.

They are very competitive, have to be when you need to eat a lot to stay alive as they do.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Spiky trunk? Bombacaceae -Asia, Ceiba speciosa-Silk Floss Tree-S. America..
Yup, green spiky trunks!
They do look like either one of those (from googling), I'm in south texas so it's probably, statistically, the second one. It's good to know their names!

Turfrantula

Arachnopeon
No Hawaii shirt. Just blues jeans and t-shirts or dickies blue uniforms. Im a mechanic and enjoy cutting grass. Our feeder is next to our porch. I sit in the same chair about 3 to 4ft away everyday. The hummingbirds dont seem to mind it one bit. I never thought i was considered scary but a few "friends " have stated that given my "old soul" personality i should not own a tarantula. "Old soul"........im 35 on the 23rd

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Actually if you stand close enough to a food source the hummingbirds sometimes will fly around your head, mere inches away, like miniature UFOs daring you to freak out and try to snap a blurry picture. It's always a treat when they do that, and you feel the air pushed back from their little wings on your face. It's a wonder experienced only by those patient enough just to watch, and wait.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

zoeyw

Arachnopeon
Wow, that must be something; to have a hummingbird fly around your head. They move so fast and they have long beaks - not sure if I would have the nerve to try this though.