on longevity

omni

Arachnobaron
Would there be anyone that knows how long the avg lifespan is of some of the more common spp.? There's a lot of info on size, but little on how long they live. :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats a broad question.
Some Ts live a few years some quite a bit more.Hmmm a healthy average for all of the Ts in the universe........ahhhhh hmmm 14 years?

Heck I dont know. You have to name some species so I can be more specific.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would there be anyone that knows how long the avg lifespan is of some of the more common spp.? There's a lot of info on size, but little on how long they live. :?
Well what species are you talking about, cause the common species I would assume to be would be..

Grammostola rosea with an average of like 15 years(give or take).
Aphonopelma seemanni with an average of like 10 years(give or take).
Avicularia avicularia with an average of like 7 years(give or take).

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd say your about right there ryan. i was thinking 15 myself..
how we make this real simple 1-30 years. lol

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know that but he was asking a pretty broad question so he got a really broad answer! :rolleyes:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I've read, it's been said that the life span of many species is yet unknown.

omni

Arachnobaron
ok, well how about -- g. rosea, b. albo, b. emilia and any avics?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I've read, it's been said that the life span of many species is yet unknown.
And that is true, because almost no one has kept a G.rosea for it's entire life.

Plus another note, there are way to many variables affecting the life of a tarantula to get an accurate average lifespan.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plus another note, there are way to many variables affecting the life of a tarantula to get an accurate average lifespan.
example....we screw something up. about 99.999% of the time. :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok, well how about -- g. rosea, b. albo, b. emilia and any avics?
For the G Rosea, the albo, and the emilia you are looking at an average of hmmm 21-28 years. Baring human error.

Avics....... 6-10? Somewhere in there.

All guesses ofcourse.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the G Rosea, the albo, and the emilia you are looking at an average of hmmm 21-28 years. Baring human error.

Avics....... 6-10? Somewhere in there.

All guesses ofcourse.
as long as that 21- 28 years i think luck plays a part to / as for avics i would not have a clue as i do not have one ( yet ) i am working on it lol £££ phil

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as long as that 21- 28 years i think luck plays a part to / as for avics i would not have a clue as i do not have one ( yet ) i am working on it lol £££ phil
How does luck play a part in how long something lives? I know of a few Ts now that are pushing 30, not in my collection though. And there was a thread on older Ts. Luck really does not have to much to do with it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How does luck play a part in how long something lives? I know of a few Ts now that are pushing 30, not in my collection though. And there was a thread on older Ts. Luck really does not have to much to do with it.
Maybe he was refferring to wild Ts? :? Survival of the fittist, if you aren't the fittest, you are unlucky.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And that is true, because almost no one has kept a G.rosea for it's entire life.

so can you guarantee the lifespans of all tarantulas talkenlate04 I THINK NOT ?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Accounts I heard for maximum lifespan made me classify T's grossly in those few categories:

1) Slow growing desert species (Grammostola, Brachys, Eupalestrus) are the elders of T world, with many animals going well over 20 and sometyimes 30!

2) Great Terrestrial like Theraphosas, King Baboon, LP's can live 15 years and more, but die usualy younger than #1 20-25 years old is a top for those.

3) Great arboreals like Pokies live 8-12 years. Read a max of 15 years

4) Small and fast T's like Avic, OBT's and Dwarf species are reported to die young, 5-8 years, sometimes before 3 years old...

Feel free to correct if your experience told otherwise!!!

Pat

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Accounts I heard for maximum lifespan made me classify T's grossly in those few categories:

1) Slow growing desert species (Grammostola, Brachys, Eupalestrus) are the elders of T world, with many animals going well over 20 and sometyimes 30!

Pat

Don't foget about Aphonopelma spp.

omni

Arachnobaron
so with Grammos and Brachys, I could normally expect 10-12+ yrs? I think many more people are now documenting their collections so hopefully more info on T's will be widely published :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so with Grammos and Brachys, I could normally expect 10-12+ yrs? I think many more people are now documenting their collections so hopefully more info on T's will be widely published :)
YOu can bet on that, even then though it still won't be very accurate because we can alter the growth rate of the Ts from faster to slower, but it'll give us a better understanding.

You can probably expect them to live around 12-15 years as an average.