on its back

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B.smithi (2") is on its back so i guess my first molt is about to happen.I suppose i'm up all night watching now,I'll go and fetch the beers.Very exciting.
CHID

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chid,
If theres any way you can watch the whole molting process, DO IT. Its one of the most amazing things in nature, and well worth the time it takes.

Good luck to you and your Smithi..

Ern

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well all went well and the B.smithi looks gorgeous now.Its abdomen looks a bit small though,how long would you wait to start feeding again?
Chid

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by chid
Well all went well and the B.smithi looks gorgeous now.Its abdomen looks a bit small though,how long would you wait to start feeding again?
Chid
They won't feed again until the fangs, mouth parts, and pumping stomach are fully hardened. You can figure about 2-3 days at the minimum before it will feed.

What I do is offer a cricket around this point - when it gets eaten, then I'll offer more food, maybe even a pinky if the T is big enough and the abdomen 'underweight' enough. Some people say not to offer food for a week because of the hardening issue and claim the Ts can injure their fangs - I think this is poppy cock. My experience has been that a T simply will not eat no matter how tempting the morsel until it's ready. My A. avic often goes over a week after a moult before it will eat but there are crickets in there from day 3 or 4 onward.