Omg Part 2!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Omg Part 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone ever tried a T fighting ring? like if a T you dont want and no one will take him, you just feed him to a T. Blondi?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Feeding a healthy T to another T just for shits and giggles?

No.....

It's cruel and wrong.
No better then cock or dog fighting.

The hobby has enough bad rap against it and is Just starting to look up.

Why disrepect it, and the animals by doing something so vicious?
It would just be adding to the negative views on collecting.

My two cents anyway.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What not want a Tarantula? That is like someone on crack not wanting to take a hit. I don't think anyone here is going to say yes to this.;)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Nixy & Jeremy,
Thank you. The whole idea (in the first place), is to not get a given pet, unless you are fully prepared for every aspect of its care. Whether it be the food it will need, its housing arrangements, all the way to longevity and housing requirements.
I myself think a fighting ring is cruel. I live in New Mexico, where many say rooster fighting, is a given racial right. As well, Pit Bulls abound everywhere. This is also said to be a right.
To digress..I have a Ball Python. His needs are; large enclosure, (4 foot long aquarium), rats to eat (ft), will live for 30-40 some years, and occasionally needs to be forcefed. I am ready for this, and further, have made arrangements for him, in my will.
Peace,
Gillian
p.s., think about it..if you aren't preparred to care for a given animal for its entire life..don't buy it, period. (no, I'm not insinuating anything)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I agree thats not very nice. If you have an unwanted T, there are places that will take them. Why sacrfice your beloved (apparently not THAT beloved) pet to another T ? And risk harming BOTH ?

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey, hey... I never said I would do it. People have cock fights, and dog fights( Not saying that it's good or anything) so why not have T fight's???You know if T's get popular with the whole world or something like that, people are going to have them.. I am NOT haveing them..... So dont even say that I am... I love my Sling, and my Rosie just as much as you love you T's. Who knows? mybe there already are T fights going on in some San fran or NY ally/ chinese/mexican/burger hut/ place............you never know.......

Hampton

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just find the whole idea appalling and loathly.
Nature is harsh. In the wild a great many animals hunt and kill. For prey, for territoriality, for mating. Etc.
They live by natures rules and natures whims and their species instincts.
This is How it's supposed to be. In The Wild.
In captivity these creatures are In Our care. Their lives and needs are Our responsability. This is a trust given to use at the time we gain these and any other creature.
No matter what we pay for them. these are Living Breathing creatures. Gifts in our lives. If one doesn't Want a living breating creature then they should stick to knick knacks collecting.
Force fighting any animal of any species is foul.
It removes all honor from the creature. It reduces them as a species. It robs respect.
It also keeps the stigma of invert collecting going.
It reduces loving deferent Tarantula collectors in the eyes of all those that would smudge the hobby into the typical deranged whack job in a webby garage snickering over the creepy bugs.
That is how those in this hobby are thought of when the words Tarantula Collector is spoken in the general public.
They are tagged with the movie projection of creepy weirdo that's been fed into the public for Years.

I despise forced sport fighting of innocent animals. And Yes. Even naturaly bloodthirsty killer animals are innocent. As they are running on instinct and conditioning. But they are robbed and deminished by human stupidity and calusness.

We're supposed to be the superior cognitive species on this planet.

If we turn wild creatures into our pets. We have the power to destroy or enrich all that is around us.

Then shouldn't we act like the part?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Well... my opinions usually get me into trouble... we'll see if we can keep the streak alive... ;)

(Nixy this is not in reaction to your post specifically, this is my thoughts on the subject... my post just happens to follow yours)

The ideal situation would be NOT acquiring a T you don't want, obviously.

Do people host T fights? I don't know... I suppose anything's possible. It wouldn't be terribly exciting... especially if you're feeding a smaller T to a blondi... it would be more like feeding a human to a lion gladiator style. I suppose people have tried it... whether or not it's a good idea? There are as many opinions on that as there are keepers, most likely.

My personal opinion? I have a hard time anthropomorphising my inverts... I don't love them, I don't talk to them, I don't invest feelings in them... and I certainly don't act as if they have emotions, higher nervous functions, or anything more than the most primitive intelligence. I see them as what they are... primitive arthropods that require certain care to survive in captivity. They are beautiful, yes. They are fascinating, yes. But they certainly do not "feel neglected", "need company", "require human contact", "show affection", "show excitement at my presence", or "feel grateful"... or any one of numerous phrases I've heard invert keepers utter concerning them. To me, my inverts are specimens for which I am providing a habitat for their survival, to better view and enjoy them... and also learn more about them. I don't consider them "pets" in the strictest sense... I say my "pet centipedes" when I'm referring to them in conversation, but they're not "pets" as I see them.

Bottom line? If I heard someone say "hey, I didn't want this Rosie I picked up at a pet store for $5.99, so I fed it to my adult T. blondi," I would probably think to myself, "that's an expensive feeder." Cruel? You may think so... however, this whole "animals have feelings" thing only applies to which animals? Nobody cries for the crickets... no one cries for the fruit flies... no one cries for the mealworms. On an intelligence scale of "amoeba to human", Tarantulas and Crickets are probaly about equal, like it or not. I would NOT have a problem with someone feeding a Rosie to their blondi... I would give them an earful about danger to their blondi, but not because I feel sorry for the Rosie. I would give them the same warning if they fed a full grown mouse or other equally dangerous prey item to such a valuable Tarantula. But, to each their own. I would not think such a person a monster for feeding a T to a T.

Now, on the topic of "fights"... yeah, it's fairly tasteless. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't affect me. If people are going to take out their aggressions on something, I'd rather it be T's than dogs, cats, or their children. I still maintain that such an event would be rather boring and anti-climactic, but I don't feel there's a moral issue here.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think its a good idea but it was just a suggestion.....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I've just had a run in recently with some locals who have been dogfighting once a month. I wont get into it, because It's long and boring, but I personally strongly dislike the idea.

People will do things like that, because man likes seeing things die. We are a violent species, and perhaps our brains feel the need to see other things as violent so we don't feel so guilty about it.

I'll admit, I get a kick out of watching my T's tackle crickets. I can say it's mostly amazement of seeing arachnid efficiency, but I also enjoy seeing them dispatch those smelly, noisy little bastards.

Back on topic, like Jeremy says, I think you're not going to get a round of 'heck yeah!' from anyone here...

Bill

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Bill,

Gotta agree with the dog thing... my feelings for animals get stronger in proportion to their intelligence... hopefully it doesn't translate to how I relate to humans too often... ;)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet

(Nixy this is not in reaction to your post specifically, this is my thoughts on the subject... my post just happens to follow yours)

No Problemo mister Internet.

And I'm not trying to argue I just have a big mouth ( or busy fingers) and rather like a debate or a good conversation on a subject I enjoy.

I Do get attached to my T's. Just as any other pet.
And yes I know a buig is a bug is a bug and T's eat crickets so what does it matter iof a T eats a T?

Yes I Would rather see someone take out their agressions on a T more then their children. Or dog or cat.

But to me pitting any animal against an animal for pure blood sport is rather sick. Maybe I'm wrong.
Prey food is prey food. that's why I feed my T's crickets because that's what they need to survive. I enjoy their grace. I enjoy their expertise at catching and consuming the cricket but I do not derive pleasure in the act of just watching one critter kill another critter.
Which is what things like cock fights and dog fights are about.
As would T fighting.

Because who is to say. If someone would do it to a T. They might graduate to the cats next. then the dogs. Then their kids.

Owning a pet is a responsability.
Owning a creature is. Be that you love them or not.
It's Still a respoonsability.
Not a game.
It should be respected.

Maybe it's cause I'm a mommy.
What is in my care is family.
Like little children.
No. I do not hold them equal with my children.
But I give them loving attention to their needs.
Do they love me back.
Oh Hell no.
But to those of us that derive pleasure from thinking our T's apreciate it.
That they respond to us with even the minimal of electric sub, way sub emotional depth.
Well.
We like feeling that way. It adds to the pleasure of caring for our charges.

No.
I'm not a fluff bunny.

I was raised part in the woods and I have gone hunting, fishing. I guted and dressed my own game and I ate what I killed.

But I ahve always kept a respect for that which I did take, a respect for nature. And my place in it.

Our place isn't to pit creature against creature.

If one really wants to be fair on the issue.
if someone wants to see a critter kill another critter let tem go bare handed against a lion or baer.

It's Their life their playing with then.

Not the life of something smaller they can play gods over with no respect for the creature.

Not even respect in an emotioanl sense.
But a simple respect for Any kind of life.

But hey.
I'm a strange old woman. :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hopefully it doesn't translate to how I relate to humans too often... ;)
LOL.
I get along with Very few people actualy.

People piss me off.
People upset me.
People alot of times makes me ashamed of being the same species.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T fighting, just for the kick of watching them kill each other? That is a cruel, and totally worthless idea.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not agree with it.. I'd never feed my t's to anything.. They are like my babies and I love them. I could nevr hurt one. That are my thoughts on all animals.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
I live in New Mexico
I saw This Tv special once, (It was mexico or new mexico) Where people were eating tarantulas. It was designed to gross you out but when you watch it's also angering. They were fried B. Smidthi being consumed by hispanic people and were SUPPOSED to be some sort of dish.

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Nixy

But to me pitting any animal against an animal for pure blood sport is rather sick. Maybe I'm wrong.
Here's where we agree, Nixy... ;) I think we can all agree with this...

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
I saw This Tv special once, (It was mexico or new mexico) Where people were eating tarantulas. It was designed to gross you out but when you watch it's also angering. They were fried B. Smidthi being consumed by hispanic people and were SUPPOSED to be some sort of dish.
This was more thn likely Mexico. My partner has a co-worker, who is from Mexico. When I told her what I had as pets, she said, "Oh. We sometimes eat those."
Peace,
Gillian

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's where we agree, Nixy... ;) I think we can all agree with this...
That it's sick. Or that I'm wrong hon?
LOL