Old World vs New World

Which do you prefer, Old World or New World?

• Old World

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • New World

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Once again, like the good vs. bad poll, you can't pick just one.

They both have their good and bad points

Old World
No Urticating hairs
Mean as hell in most cases
Lots of great burrowing species
Poecilotheria ('nuff said)

New World
Many are quite docile
Urticating hairs
Lots of really colorful species.

I love em all and collect em all.

Scott

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I especially like the Old World baboon tarantula for nothing more than pure ATTITUDE.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) hi, have had one old world and four new but i kinda like new due to the fact you can risk putting your hand in the cage and keep all your fingers plus both my b.vagans and b.emilia are little characters and complete gluttons. finally have names for three of my four remaining Ts rosie , rusty and emily , not innovative but saves on racking my brain now just gotta think of one for my a.geniculata hmmmmm genie????

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
This becomes a tough choice for me, being allergic to the hairs and not venom. That said, the docile species will almost certainly win me over. I'd have to say New World.

-Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a mix of both. As mentioned on the other poll, I like them all for different reasons. I like the more docile, easy to work with species, as well as the psychos. I don't think I'd have a collection with just one or the other, but if I had to chose, I'd probably go with old world... they just make my heart beat faster.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm with Botar on this one. Old world species are aces in my books.

Cheers,
Dave

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As mentioned before by others, I like them all and keep them all, but New World would be my favorites (although I do tend to like the African spp.). I mostly prefer NW because, for the most part, they are bulkier, thicker, more colorful, have longer hair and also can claim the three biggest known Ts (T. blondi, T. apophysis and L. parahybana) as well as sporting plenty of other big guns like Acanthoscurria spp., some Pamphobeteus spp., and the Chaco golden-knee.

Adrian

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
NW all the way. I don't have a single OW species and figure it will probably stay that way. In addition to the temperament issues (better discussed in the good/bad thread), I just like the general appearance of NW species more. Give me my nice, mostly docile, heavy bodied, hanging out in the open Ts any day over a bunch of anti-social gotta go bury themselves or hide in the bark and attack me at a moments notice OWs :D

You just can't argue with stuff like this (my recently moulted A. bicoloratum):

Attachments

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi..

Hi all..:)

Superpic Code...what a beauty!!

Well,, I voted N.World.

The "Oldies" have a coolness:D over them,, but I got kinda reluctant to them when I saw my friends H.Lividum literally knocked the screwdriver out of my friends hand after it attacked it.
He used the screwdriver to get to a dead cricket on top of surface in tank because he knew about the attacks and he didn't have a large forcep enough, to move it closer to him and up from the burrow, like a bolt, came Mr. Lividum and went for the screwdriver. They are very good looking though.

Also when it comes to be out and like a T too see, I think I like the N world better and above all; their colors, wow.

So my vote goes for the N.World..:)

Kenny

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer the new world species simply for docility. Although urticating hairs can be a pain in the ass sometimes. It is better than a fang in the hand though like others have already said. I only have one Old World Spider in my collection and it is a Usumbura Orange Baboon and she is mean. The only other Old World species I am really interested in purchasing is an Indian Ornamental.

redbadger

Arachnopeon
I am suffering with Addiction....but when I come down a bit...I am leaning towards Code Monkeys rationale...but if I slip and go hang at Hoke or Swifts site...Hell I want them all!:rolleyes:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well, I now know what's next on my to buy list. Well, I would if Volker would be nice enough to name that spider...... ;)

Scott

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

this is Selenocosmia himalayana from Nepal. Sorry, this tarantula wasn't available on the Petrade untill now. I've got some specimens within the last Years from different biologists and compared them with the Typespecimen of Sel. himalayana which is deposited in BMNH!
Below you can see a picture of the natural habitat. They lives in horizontal burrows under the mossy rocks which are lying on the ground!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about NW's that look and act like OW's? Just to confuse things a bit ;)

Psalmopoeus irmina photo by Art Evans

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha,ha,

the funny thing is,that the Psalmopoeus Genus is much more related to the old world tarantula Subfamily Selenocosmiinae than to all the south American Theraphosidae. ;)

Cheers, Volker

Arachnopiliac

Arachnopeon
Being a beginner hobbyist, I have to go with new world. However, old world is most fascinating watching on nature shows and such. You know, from a safe distance.
;P

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both have posotive aspects to them (and I have many of both), but in all, I prefer New World :D

Last edited: