Old World Tarantulas

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Clint. I work at the Gladys Porter Zoo Reptile Department. I am redesigning our Invert displays. I am looking for ideas of an old world species of Tarantula that will display nicely. It will be housed in a 5 gallon terrarium, so nothing too big. Also I am on a budget with this project, so nothing too expensive :D

Thanks,
Clint

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
It has to be old world because, there is going to be an old world invert section and a new world section. I already have the new world species. We already have a Poecilotheria sp. being displayed at our Butterflies, Bugs, & Blooms area. So I don't want to double up on displays.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can't go wrong with a P.murinus then. They're bright orange, lots of attitude, heavy webbers.

Edit: inexpensive as well.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Pterinochilus Murinus

I suggest a Pterinochilus murinus (red color form).
Pros: Old world - inexpensive - 4-6 inches - beautiful colors
Cons: Borrower = not a good display tarantula

Might not be the best option but it's all I can think of.

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the imput guys. I used to have a few P.murinus. They are a great species. That is definitly a fine choice, but I want to have multiple options. My boss might not like that they are so aggressive and I believe their venom is considered MS, but I could be wrong.

arachnidsrulz12

Arachnosquire
I have pokies and baboon.

Poecilotheria...........
H. mac
S. calceatum
C. darlingi
P. murinus
and more

S. calceatum are my favorite

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Poecilotheria are more medically significant than Pterinochilus.

I suggest Lampropelma violaceopes.

I have pokies and baboon.

Poecilotheria...........
P. cambridigi
P. irminia
H. mac
S. calceatum
P. formasa
C. darlingi
and more

S. calceatum are my favorite
Psalmopoeus aren't old world.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
Phlogius crassipes

Second sugestion would be a Phlogius crassipes. And yes it's known to have strong venom but that what you get with a OW.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.murinus aren't always burrowers. Mine lived underground for a year and now it's always above the surface webbing like crazy. I guess that's where their well known personality comes into play.

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
Lampropelma violaceopes is a great choice I forgot about them. The only problem I see is that they are kinda expensive. I need at least a sub adult. Anyone know where I find one for cheap. I am on a very thin budget and I still need to fill up 6 more cages.

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
I really don't have a problem with a MS species. I work with Mambas and Cobras everyday, but I would not be taking care of the Inverts. A less experience guy would be. Which has me worried. : )

Clint.atrox

Arachnopeon
The only experience the individual has with OW T's is he has worked with Poecilotheria regalis. He did just fine with that.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go with Petinochilus murinus... they are gorgeous and cheap :razz: . If he did good with a Poecilotheria regalis then he should be fine.