Old World T, good beginner?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have pokies, a C.crawshayi, H.lividum, H.minax and OBTs (P.murinus RCF.) I have had S.calceatum and Hysterocates sp.. The only ones that have ever attact me or bolted, showing some speed are the OBTs and the S.calceatum.

I guess I have something to look forward too. :)

tequila

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the great information i was thinking of getting a P. regalis soon, although i have only kept a rose hair, i feel relatively confident i can deal with a Poec, the speed doesnt bother me and the potent venom is a issue but i dont plan on handling it, would one of the front opening terrariums be a good set up for one? i was thinkin maybe the 12"x12"x18" one, maybe i will hold off on it for a while, maybe not... :p

-Dustin

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those tanks are great for larger arboreals like pokies, but you would need an adult, that wouldnt be good for a sling.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my first OW was a Cyriopagopus sp. "blue". i think that most tarantulas can be kept by anyone as long as they do their research beforehand and give the spider a certain degree of respect, especially in terms of handling. but if you do not intend on handling, then i'd say go with whatever you like. that's why i got my Cyrio.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. lugardi is the Old World G. rosea.

H. maculata is pretty placid until you need to move them and then they can be lightning quick.

C. crawshayi is a good choice if you get a small juvie or sling as you will have years to grow and learn with it.

E. pachypus is NOT a good choice IME. I can't even add water without threat/striking.

With all that said if you use your head and give it respect you would do fine with any old worlder.

Pick the one you want!!!

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have to say that P. Murinus is a good choice for a starter OW T. While they can be rather fiesty, they are tanks. It's hard to hurt 'em, and as far as maintanance goes, it's not a problem at all. They are beautiful, and my girl is out and about most of the time. Add the moderate to high visibility with the awesome webs that they lay, and you've got a very cool T. Handling is a no go though, as that they are prone to tagging, hence the nickname OBT. No matter what, if you prepare yourself and respect the T, you'll be ok. My first T ever, as a complete noob, was a P. Regalis. I then went straight to the OBT. So long as you respect them and don't mess around trying to get threat displays and crap like that, you'll be ok.

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just from my own experience, I would recommend Eucratoscelus pachypus (Stout leg). They are pretty calm, don't move as fast, and are beautiful!

Qvarnold

Arachnopeon
I'd go for a Poecilotheria, maybe metallica. I think people tend to hype almost every OW sp. there is to be had.
I started out with a Chromatopelma, and two months later I bought two P. murinus and a Poecilotheria pederseni and I haven't had a single problem with them so far.
As long as you treat your spider with the repect it deserves I don't think you should run into any problems what so ever. Just do your research well and you'll be A-OK.

Good luck, pokies and orange bitey things are awesome :).

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go with Michael's recommendation of a Eucratoscelus sp. For an OW tarantula, you'll be hard put to find a less defensive temperament. Plus they have a strange appearance, and interesting habits. I'd definitely recommend these over any Haplopelma, Pokie, or others. These are considered advanced species, and there really are good reasons for this.

Sylvi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't consider myself an experienced T keeper at all and I have a H Longpipes, H Schmidti, H Gigas and some P Regalis. All of them are easy to keep with regard to tank maintenance - the Haplos just dissapear to the bottom of their burrows, as does the Gigas; and the Regalis head down their tubes ( which I then plug with a ball of kitchen tissue ). Its when they have to be rehoused that I take most care, although if they are going to come belting out and up the forceps I don't think anyone would be quick enough to retreat, the experience is not to panic. Mine are defensive T's and are happy if you don't invade their personal space. I have NW T's too and the most troublesome ones have been young juvs who haven't had any potting up, as they get older mine seem to get easier. The thing that bothers me the most is those wretched Blondie hairs.

I would recomend the P Regalis too. Just treat them with respect and don't get complacent.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are going to get an OWS, get one you will be able to see. My first one was an OBT. To see it you had to sneak in with a flashlight at 2 AM. My second Old worlder is a P. regalis. Awesome spider. I highly recommend it. I got mine as a little tiny baby which is a good way to do it. It's growing fast and is now about 3 inches. If you get it small then you get experience with it as it grows.

It is quick but not aggressive unless you get too close. Rehousing is a bit of a procedure. I just rehoused 3 L. parahybana. Couple of taps on the butt with a brush, they act like they are going to stand their ground then they go where they're told.

You do that with a Pokie and you'll be wearing it on you're face.

I recommend a P. regalis sling between 1/2 and 1 inch.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang i get aggravated when a certain species is never brought up! What about P. lugardi for a first OW T? They are not as defensive IME as P. murinus RCF and some others, they have a nice pattern to them, and seem to be more skittish and would rather run than put up a fight like H. lividum or P. murinus. Also, they make very nice webbing just like P. murinus and are very inexpensive. Just my 2 cents...
-Nate

TmanPhil

Arachnopeon
Lugardi's are great, but they really are as unpredictable as anything else. they can be extremely quick and can spin and bite as fast as about anything out there. i have had a few of them over the years. they are a great spider though. really subtly beautiful.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Yet another wonderful thread. All of these replies are great references for helping me decide which will be my first OW. I haven't made a decision but am able to have clearer thoughts now, thanks AB community.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Put me down for Chilobrachys fimbriatus. :D I have two that are a little over 3" now, and they may be my favorite T's to check on. They are absolutely fantastic webbers, filling any container I put them in with web tunnels. However, I can always see them as they like to sit out in the open, until I open the top to do maintenance or feed. Then, they quickly disappear down some tunnel and don't show themselves again until I'm done or the cricket hits the web. They also have an amazing feeding response - - if you're a cricket you barely hit bottom before being completely overwhelmed. In all honesty, I almost forget that they are OWers, but then again . . . . I started with two nasty Aussie T's as my first, and then got 4 pokies and an H. lividum a month later, so I didn't do things exactly normal.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One oddball that I would add is Selenobracys philippinus. I think it's the most exhibitionist OW terrestrial. I have a 2" supplied with a mound of dirt to burrow. She is in basically only to rest and molt ; the rest of the time she's out for a walk.

Otherwise, Pokies are my faves and I started with them with no problem. Just keep hands off. Singablue is stunning when female, but a bit more reclusive. The OBTs I had weren't that bad either.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
1st OW

My first and only OW was a female E. Pachypus. Never seen 1 threat pose. She was also as advertised; a pet hole. So I guess could suggest E Pachypus as a first OW; only I wouldn't want another one. To me they are just drab, boring "pet holes". Also, outside of mature males, It was my only adult T that died, so I must of done something wrong.

Blackprizm

Arachnosquire
I have Phlogiellus as my old world tarantulas. They were burrowers, but you can handle them fairly easy. :D