Old World species...contemplation..

RoseT

Arachnosquire
As a beginner but a fully understanding person of how fast, and respected the potency of venom they carry.....I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the thought of purchasing one. I have in mind the p metallica for the obvious reasons. I have read possibly every caresheet avail online, and I have spiders so the care is not the issue, but what I do worry about is their incredible speed!. How soon should someone get into these species?, like how would I know I'm ready to start getting into Old World Ts? Any advice, comments are appreciated.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Respect your T and you should have no problem.
They are fast but not so fast that it vanishes..appear...and vanishes again.

I have several P mets, and when I open their enclosures, they bolt for their
hides, not to escape or attack.

Buy one, respect them, and enjoy their beauty.

PIG-

Last edited:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My only word of advice would be to make sure you are comfortable with the price tag. P. metallica aren't cheap.

Otherwise, get one. Or two!

You'll love them!

RoseT

Arachnosquire
^ ha I like that see I knew you guys would help me pull it, BTW the quote from Steve is absolute truth, and so relevant.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My first old world tarantula was a Pterinochilus murinus (aka "OBT"). I was so excited. They are beautiful, great webbers and very easy to care for. They're also very cheap. I think it's a good choice for a first OW tarantula.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I started out in the hobby with OW species and they're still my first love (especially African species). Giving them good hides helps reduce defensiveness and flighty behavior a lot. Know where they are when you're working in the cage and give them their due respect, but no need to be afraid of them. They're spiders, not supervillains.

pok2010

Arachnopeon
you're ready, when you're ready is when you're asking are you ready ;P

you'll be fine mate, just got to respect them and go with there flow .. not yours ;P

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Everyone is ready to get an OW in my opinion, whether or not someone decides to take the leap is the only issue. I only own OW and they are all arboreals. 5 of my collection of 9 are Pokies. I don't see why everyone is sooo intimidated when deciding whether or not they want one, they are awsome spiders and in my opinion the best ones to start out with. Sure they are fast, but if you take proper precautions they are as easy to maintain as a G. Rosea. GO FOR IT MAN!!! Although, as much as I do love the P. Metallica and how amazing it looks I think it's WAY overrated compared to the other pokies. I recommend getting an Ornata, Formosa, Pederseni, Subfusca, well heck any of em really. Cheaper and every bit as wonderful if not more! In the end, they are all just one AWSOME species :D

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everyone is ready to get an OW in my opinion, whether or not someone decides to take the leap is the only issue. I only own OW and they are all arboreals. 5 of my collection of 9 are Pokies. I don't see why everyone is sooo intimidated when deciding whether or not they want one,
No, not EVERYONE.
You've forgotten what it's like not to be comfortable around these animals, and to truly be a newb.

they are awsome spiders
Yep

and in my opinion the best ones to start out with.
Nope

Sure they are fast,
Yep

but if you take proper precautions they are as easy to maintain as a G. Rosea.
Nope

Not for someone who is not accustomed to such critters.
Again, you're desensitized, and maybe you never were apprehensive around fast, hot arboreals. This is unusual, and hardly the wise course for every beginner. See this thread http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=168286&highlight=newb

Although, as much as I do love the P. Metallica and how amazing it looks I think it's WAY overrated compared to the other pokies.
Yep

I recommend getting an Ornata, Formosa, Pederseni, Subfusca, well heck any of em really. Cheaper and every bit as wonderful if not more!
Yep

In the end, they are all just one AWSOME species :D
Nope - Genus. :)

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Respect your T and you should have no problem.
They are fast but not so fast that it vanishes..appear...and vanishes again.

I have several P mets, and when I open their enclosures, they bolt for their
hides, not to escape or attack.

Buy one, respect them, and enjoy their beauty.

PIG-
Totally agree with this. Not enough people take the time to really respect the T's for the exotic and intriguing animals they really are. If you go with an OW, you get to see a totally different side of the hobby.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Must say I've finally managed to jump in feet first. From having one-at-a-time NW Ts over the years, I have 23, a mix of OW and NW. Terrestrial and arboreal.

I love when my little pokey comes out... I say "oh, look, you are out". Same with me little H maculata.

They are all capable of biting, they can all be fast, they might escape. Love them all, no matter what.

I want a P metallica for the colors, but am probably going to get other pokies as well. .

Marga

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, not EVERYONE.
You've forgotten what it's like not to be comfortable around these animals, and to truly be a newb.

Not for someone who is not accustomed to such critters.
Again, you're desensitized, and maybe you never were apprehensive around fast, hot arboreals. This is unusual, and hardly the wise course for every beginner.
Um...do you even keep any OW? Because, you certainly act ignorant. If you don't know about which you speak, perhaps you ought refrain from speaking.

If a beginner is competent enough to keep a tarantula, OW is truly better than NW on most fronts. If you really want to debate this we can. But I suggest you do some research of your own first. ;)

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
I just recently got into OW T's and my first (C.Fasciatum) Was The most beautifull and Docile T. Probobly exceeds my Metallica. Amazing webber aswell. Uses the substrate and Builds web around it!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Um...do you even keep any OW? Because, you certainly act ignorant. If you don't know about which you speak, perhaps you ought refrain from speaking.

If a beginner is competent enough to keep a tarantula, OW is truly better than NW on most fronts. If you really want to debate this we can. But I suggest you do some research of your own first. ;)
I've been keeping OW and NW T's for 25 years.
I act ignorant how exactly?

I don't think you understand my post.
How old are you exactly?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Umm, nothing really "fast" but then again i've never had one of those freak moments when they run up your arm... I am fairly new to the hobby and like I said, all my T's are arboreal. If you start out with them small, you will get the hang of it in no time and learn how to take care of them and understand there personality and lifestyle.

I'm just trying to say that if someone is remotely interested in purchasing an arboreal, then they are more than ready for the task at hand.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon

How old are you exactly?
Ok, I have no authority as a moderator I just plain hate nitpicking tho. DrJ, JimM; please don't ruin a thread as so many before you have by starting a pointless mudslinging war over something as simple as opinions of old world tarantulas. A member of this forum created a chat thread, intended for sociable constructive conversation, please try and stay civil, or at the very least mature enough not to stoop to questions of age or acusations of ownership, it's just low and makes this forum a less inviting place.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

How old are you exactly?
The reason I stated that you act ignorant is because your post seems to reflect little knowledge on old world species.

You seem to suggest that OW is some sort of "magic gate" that must be earned. OW is just as easy, if not more-so, to keep as NW. Prove otherwise, I say. The fastest moving arboreal species are NW. You've got both Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius. If you've ever seen a Tap move...they make Pokies look like slow pokes (pun definitely intended. lol). Psalmos are also believed to have fairly potent venom, similar to what a Pokie would have. However, many other OW species have practically harmless toxicity levels to their venom. So, these other species would be like a Brachy without urticating hairs.

If you think pokies move fast, it is only because they are not ashamed to move if provoked, or scared. But, when you compare apples to apples, arboreals in the NW realm are much the same. Just try getting a Hysterocrates gigas to go wherever you want it...they are very slow movers. It's almost as though you have to encourage it every step of the way. Very docile species for the most part and can usually be handled easily.

Next point: Urticating hairs. Granted, the Psalmos and Taps lack the urticating hairs. They are the ONLY NW species with this "nice" feature. Urticating hairs are a HUGE pain. The longer you are exposed to them, the worst your reactions to them become. Trust me, even when you aren't getting "attacked" with hairs, you can still get many of them embedded in your skin. Huge welts that are very itchy and painful, lasting for two weeks, is not fun.

Now, hardiness. Many OW species are practically impossible to kill. Let's take the flagship OW species: Pterinochilus murinus. From other accounts scattered across the boards, you can put a group of 15 in the closet, forget about them for a few months, and all 15 will still be alive and well. Forget several out in the van during a blizzard over-night. They'll still be alive in the morning. This is not an uncommon finding with African Ts. And yet, they are still OW species. Whereas, Avicularia species seem to have this uncanny ability to die without warning. These are definitely a difficult species for newbies. Even experienced keepers have many issues with these. Just search the boards.

I only recommend Avics to people that: A) want one really bad, and B) have done their research and feel equipped to take on the responsibility.

Our friend here has done both the necessary requirements for any T. That is, to get the initiative to do research and learn all there is to know. And, secondly, be willing to provide a top-notch home. What more can you ask for?

I personally think you must be the victim of somebody telling you that OW were "advanced". There is nothing "advanced" about them. Any keeper can keep them as well as any other. Especially if research and desire are involved. Starting off with a young(er) pokie is not a bad idea. It allows you to "grow" with the T and learn more of its habits before jumping in head-long with a full grown adult that may be more intimidating. We even make the same suggestions with NW Ts...so what's the difference?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I have no authority as a moderator I just plain hate nitpicking tho. DrJ, JimM; please don't ruin a thread as so many before you have by starting a pointless mudslinging war over something as simple as opinions of old world tarantulas. A member of this forum created a chat thread, intended for sociable constructive conversation, please try and stay civil, or at the very least mature enough not to stoop to questions of age or acusations of ownership, it's just low and makes this forum a less inviting place.
I'm not trying to "mudsling", as you call it. I am trying to help educate an individual who is wanting to obtain a Pokie as a first pet. However, when we have people on the boards trying to discourage such behaviour, that is an issue. :embarrassed:

Why would anybody want to discourage a responsible individual (such as RoseT) from having a tarantula? Especially on this forum. No. We should do our BEST to help out and give good advice.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not trying to "mudsling", as you call it. I am trying to help educate an individual who is wanting to obtain a Pokie as a first pet. However, when we have people on the boards trying to discourage such behaviour, that is an issue. :embarrassed:

Why would anybody want to discourage a responsible individual (such as RoseT) from having a tarantula? Especially on this forum. No. We should do our BEST to help out and give good advice.

I find it ironic that you're calling me ignorant.

I simply stated that not everyone is ready for a pokey, or other old world species out of the gate. If you actually bothered to read the link I posted above to an older post that I made, the reasons for this will become manifest to you.

Here it is again http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...highlight=newb and simply explains in more detail, without me typing it all again here for you.

Some people, when they first start keeping tarantulas, are still apprehensive about them. Being able to open an enclosure, and remove a water dish, or feed with ZERO chance of a large, fast, hot spider ending up on their arm is MUCH more preferable to many people starting off. We, in our experience and hard earned desensitization around these animals sometimes forget what it's like for SOME people when they first begin exploring this hobby. Nothing is all the time. Some people can handle a pokey out of the gate, for others this would be rather unwise.

That's all I was saying. Before you make condescending remarks, and call someone "ignorant" on a message board, you would be well served to get a handle not only on who you're talking to, but the typed words in front of you as well.

I've been keeping T's on and off since 1985, I've worked at a reptile store back in the day, and sold them, and educated customers on them day in and day out. I have a pretty good handle on the in's and out's of Old World vs New World tarantulas. If you feel the need to "debate" this matter further, feel free to send me a PM. We'll exchange emails and you can blather on without further mucking up this thread, and I can properly deal with you as well.

I'm done with you here on this forum.
My apologies to the original poster.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hm...I'm not saying you are an ignorant human being. I was stating that you were merely ignorant on the issue at hand. Which, as it appears, may not entirely be the case. With that said, I withdraw my comment. It was not intended to be a direct insult to you or your intelligence. Just a matter regarding the issue as I perceived you notes as having little to no experience with old world species. Of which, I still am curious on your experience level, but it does not matter. What does matter is that I feel you are at least knowledgable about them, having now read your other post.

I will agree with you to a certain extent. Very few people would I suggest it being perfectly acceptable to have a Poecilotheria as a first tarantula. BUT, RoseT has made a great effort to learn, research, and become acquainted with this genus. The think here is that he is not a "NEWB" as described in your post. His educational research, I feel, has paid off to put him at a higher level. With research comes greater opportunity.

You mention your familiarity with reptiles. I've helped many people acquire a GTP or ETB as their very first reptile. And, did so with GREAT success. All it takes is education. If people know what they are doing, and are knowledgable on care, etc. they can make a fairly advanced species a wonderful beginner specimen.

In the same way, I have seen many people start off with OW. Not all OW spiders are pokies or H. macs. You know that. Some of the most handleable Ts in the hobby are African burrowers. But, that's my opinion, and you may be welcome to yours. Basically, what I'm saying is that OW is no more advanced than anything you'd find in NW. It is all in how you look at it.

EDIT: If you want to PM me, that is fine. But, I feel we have reached some sort of agreement here. At least, that is what I assume after having read your other post.