Old World species...contemplation..

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My friend offered me a 1/2 inch T for free which I accepted graciously and he said it was called an OBT, or Orange Starburst Baboon Tarantula, which sounded VERY exotic and exciting! I had no clue what this T was, let alone what OW and NW meant at the time. He just told me that they are stunning when they are bigger.
Sawubona, Shaka.

This sounds familiar. Although I'd occasionally kept scorpions, centipedes and tarantulas over many years, I'd never really been "in the hobby". My first step into the hobby was a pretty little orange spider that someone showed me. Fortunately, he warned me that it was fast and defensive and I didn't want to get bitten by it. Research after I got home confirmed this. But OBTs are among my favorite tarantulas now. As it happens, one of my current OBTs suddenly developed a pair of tibial spurs on his last molt, and a few hours ago I introduced him to his new girlfriend.

What you start with as a beginner spider very much depends on your personality and attitude, what experiences you've had with other animals, etc. Basically - what are you comfortable around. When I was into reptiles I kept all kinds of hot stuff, from Egyptian cobras to sidewinders. "Hot" spiders were not hard to get used to. But if your animal experience is more along the lines of kittens, puppies and baby rabbits - you might be more comfortable starting with something less intimidating than pokies or OBTs. Someone above suggested Phormictopus cancerides as a spider with attitude but easy to work with. I'd vote for that. Mine has all the attitude you could want - but will stop in the middle of a screaming threat display to snap up the cricket that just appeared.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
He has already purchased a P. Miranda... On a side note RoseT, make sure you got some long tongs and a nice soft bristle paintbrush to move them around with! It will help more than you know :D

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Lekae Bill S?

Agreed, P.Cancerides is a feisty but fun T.

@ CHEVY - Nice one! Miranda's are beautiful!

Shaka