Old World species...contemplation..

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Psalmos and Taps lack the urticating hairs. They are the ONLY NW species with this "nice" feature.
This is a common misbelief. In fact, there are other NW genera besides Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius without urticating hairs: Acanthopelma, Catumiri, Guyruita, Hemiercus, Holothele, Oligoxystre, Schismatothele, Sickius and the species Ischnocolus rubropilosus.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a common misbelief. In fact, there are other NW genera besides Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius without urticating hairs: Acanthopelma, Catumiri, Guyruita, Hemiercus, Holothele, Oligoxystre, Schismatothele, Sickius and the species Ischnocolus rubropilosus.
Haha! I was waiting for somebody to chime in with that! As it goes in biology, there are no such things as absolutes.

Thanks!

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I must say this bord is very helpful and convincing. So I decided to put in an order for a P. Miranda sling, I decided to hold off on the metallica because I really couldn't find one that fit my price range (still interested) but I'm just gonna have to get lucky on that one I guess....pics are sure to come soon, once again thanks to the wonderful community of this board.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I must say this bord is very helpful and convincing. So I decided to put in an order for a P. Miranda sling, I decided to hold off on the metallica because I really couldn't find one that fit my price range (still interested) but I'm just gonna have to get lucky on that one I guess....pics are sure to come soon, once again thanks to the wonderful community of this board.
Good to hear it! You definitely chose a good species to go with. One thing I love about the miranda is their legs. The thick white bands are unique and look spectacular as they age.

I can't wait to see pictures! :D

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Harmless OW T's

Dr. J, I'm a keeper of many NW T's, primarily because of the lack of potent venom. You mentioned that some OW's have benign venom, similar to a Brachy, minus the urticating hair. I'm just curious, what species?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Well im sorry to have started an argument... But seriously, why pick apart my comment to the OP. Very rude of you to do so... I was simply telling him what I did and no im not "descensitized" by any means, Im saying that with a sling you will learn how to take care of them properly and understand there behavior.

Honestly, I don't see why people say "dont get this, your not ready for that" if somebody wants something, people with experience should be chiming in and give every piece of advice possible to help that person with there decision... Even if its a arachnophobic person going for a P. Murinus, LET THEM KNOW WHAT THEY NEED TO DO! Not turn them away from it...

Instead of sitting here telling people you've been raising T's for 25 years and telling people what they want is a bad idea, why don't you use that vast amount of knowledge and let them know every detail on how to take care of the T at question. I hope the point I'm trying to make is coming accross in a possitive way

Again, I'm sorry for starting the argument but seriously...

Nice choice by the way, I want a Miranda pretty bad right now... Think when my savings gets back to a comfortable level, I'm gunna pick one up with an Ornata and Regalis. But I'm starting to like the Tigrena whatever there called! PERTY SAWEET!!!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Instead of sitting here telling people you've been raising T's for 25 years and telling people what they want is a bad idea

More reading comprehension issues.

Is that what I said?
No

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
In a round about way, that's exactly what you were saying... People that have no experience with spiders SHOULDN'T get a pokie because they most likely aren't desensitized.

And did you even read anything else I typed in that message or you just looking to argue about anything and everything?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In a round about way, that's exactly what you were saying... People that have no experience with spiders SHOULDN'T get a pokie because they most likely aren't desensitized.

And did you even read anything else I typed in that message or you just looking to argue about anything and everything?
'sigh'....
I wasn't speaking in absolutes.
Again read, comprehend, then post.

No I don't argue about everything, people selectively mistranslating and making knee jerk posts as a result...yep.
But hey, it's all good.

Typed communication is tough.
As we all do from time to time, I feel compelled to respond to certain things I probably should just ignore.

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

No, what he's saying is that many people who reccomend pokies and the like to newbs don't remember what it was like being newbs, and that the speed is more intimidating than some of the more seasoned members remember.
He's saying it's one thing to read, and do research, and another to actually be around, and be used to the more aggressive species.

Some newbs may be ready for a Pokie. Others, not so much.

Heck, I've been in the hobby for over a year, and when my H.mac got out the other day I freaked.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No, what he's saying is that many people who reccomend pokies and the like to newbs don't remember what it was like being newbs, and that the speed is more intimidating than some of the more seasoned members remember.
He's saying it's one thing to read, and do research, and another to actually be around, and be used to the more aggressive species.

Some newbs may be ready for a Pokie. Others, not so much.

Heck, I've been in the hobby for over a year, and when my H.mac got out the other day I freaked.

Thank you.
I was starting to wonder of English was the preferred language of this forum.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Nothing wrong with my understanding of things... Heard it right the first time. Just saying, just because someone is new to spiders all together shouldn't mean that they should be recommended to only choose from a few species. Obviously if someone wants a pokie, they've done the research and know what they are like somewhat from what everyone else has to say. After that, I see know reason why other species be continually recommended aside from what the person desires. If they do the research, they are more than capable of raising it plain and simple. If you read the OP first post, you will see he has done his research and really wants to get one... Therefore he must already have an understanding of what to do to keep it alive and probably has a past history with spiders seeing is how he wants one still. That's all I'm saying...

I get your point saying not all beginners are the same. Some can handle fast ones and some can't. But why recommend them all the same species? The beginners that are not used to spiders are more than likely not going to just go out and buy a pokie, heck they would probably be hesitant to the idea of getting a B. Smithi. This guy obviously knows what he's doing.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with anyone starting out with anything, but it is always better if you start out with something easier to deal with. Would you suggest a 16 year old with a drivers permit buy a Dodge Viper or a Ferrari? Would you suggest an inexperienced mountain climber tackle Mt Everest? Would you recommend that someone who wants to buy their first snake get a Cobra? Of course those things are all possible, and entirely up to the individual. And those individuals could do a ton of research on each subject, but would that make them capable to handle the choice they make, or would the lack of experience simply become a recipe for disaster? Experience does play some role, and not all decisions are necessarily good decisions.

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I just recently got into OW T's and my first (C.Fasciatum) Was The most beautifull and Docile T. Probobly exceeds my Metallica. Amazing webber aswell. Uses the substrate and Builds web around it!
Do you mean C. fimbriatus? C. fasciatum is a NW.

As far as the other discussion, I'd have to agree that just reading something or doing the research is not always enough to prepare people for things. There's a comfort level that you can only gain by experience. Nobody told the OP not to get a pokie, though.

icsparks

Arachnopeon
Both feet first or not?

My first was like a lot of new comers, an LPS rose hair bought on impulse. At the time of purchase I had no clue of how to take care of it other then what the pet shop told me. That was about 7 months ago.

Will keeping a NW Rose hair prepare me for a keeping a fast moving OW Pokie?
My personal answer is, no it will not.
So how did I prepare myself. Research the internet, buy a good book, get on T boards read and talk to people whom keep OW T's.
My next T was a beautiful female 4" H. Lividum OW also a LPS purchase ( rescue if you ask me ) anyway the Cobalt blue T has a bad rep for being bad tempered. I know form reading books, the internet, message boards and so on to respect this T's space at all times. It is not because I took baby steps in keeping T's. There is no way to move up from a slow moving somewhat calm rose hair to an aggressive fast cobalt blue just by keeping the rose hair over a longer time.
I now have 13 T's and growing, some NW some OW every one will be a learning curve they all will be different in their own little way.

I say go for whatever T you want. Do the research first then jump in. Most of all HAVE FUN doing it.

k2power

Arachnoknight
I have kept slow moving NW and a few Avicularias for a few years off and on. I have never had a very agressive species and only a few moderately agressive ones. I personally do not feel up to a cobalt blue or a Pokey yet althoug I really like the cobalt blues and will probably end up getting one at some point. The craziest animal I owned was a Vietnamese centipede and never felt really comfortable with that one. The speed and toxicity are something to respect and yes fear. One thing to think about for a beginner is if you are afraid of the spider will you still do the regular maintenance or start putting off interactions. That should factor in your decision. I am not sure if I will ever get another Vietnamese Scolopendra due to the first experience. If it ever got out that would be a very frightening experience if not found.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avics are IMO good starter species--they are quicker, much quicker, than terrestrials, and (generally) don't have a bad attitude.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obviously if someone wants a pokie, they've done the research and know what they are like somewhat from what everyone else has to say.
This isn't an accurate statement. Just because someone wants something, it doesn't mean that they have done the research. Many people will simply see something they want, buy it, and do no research. That's why there are so many people coming on here and asking questions that couldve been answered with research.

To OP, good transition species from NW to OW would be any Psalmo, they lack the hairs, they are fast, and have a little more potent venom. All that aside if you are just looking at attitude, I would say a good intermediate would be a P. cancerides. But I believe if you get an OW sling you will learn as it grows how it behaves and everything else you need to know. If you raise a sling up, by the time it's grown, you'll be ready. Good luck.

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Please just stick to the Topic, constant banter and justifications a mile long just make people turn away or close the thread because it has turned from a simple question, into a game of wit and pride. :rolleyes:

NOW - BACK ON TOPIC :)

I am the perfect example of the "clueless beginner". First of all - I was petrified of spiders, but I am one of those ppl that has decided the only way to get over the fear, is to face it head on. So I spent an afternoon with a friend who keeps T's and after explaining to me that they are not the blood-lusting creatures of death that I have always thought they are - I decided that I was going to start keeping Tarantulas.

My friend offered me a 1/2 inch T for free which I accepted graciously and he said it was called an OBT, or Orange Starburst Baboon Tarantula, which sounded VERY exotic and exciting! I had no clue what this T was, let alone what OW and NW meant at the time. He just told me that they are stunning when they are bigger.

I then Googled it when I got home only to find out that I had started in this hobby with one of the most defensive/aggressive T's one can get. Almost every photo on-line was of an OBT throwing Peace signs (Threat Pose) and all I saw... were fangs, and after reading about their venom - started to think I had made a mistake, and decided my friend was a tosser for not telling me what this T was! Then, right after I got it found out that they are now illegal in our country too, now I was just terrified!!!

For the first 3 months, whenever I worked in it's enclosure, I would work with surgical precision and would NEVER take my eyes off the OBT while doing so. Then inevitably one night, it got out during a water change, and as we all know they can move like lighting! So there we sat for about 30 mins, OBT on the edge of the Table, and me about 5 feet away from the table just staring at it from my chair... Literally petrified!

Anyway I figured out how to catch it gently and get it back in it's enclosure, and before long was getting complacent with it and even today, treat it with care and respect, and it often gets out of it's enclosure during cleaning operations by sheer virtue of it's speed. But I work in a tub, inside the bath tub, and use a nice big plastic cup to catch it if it bolts.

Believe it or not the 2nd T I got was also for free, a 4 inch Heteroscodra Maculata / Togo Starbust another OW beauty. As you can imagine, keeping Chaco Golden Knees and Mexican Red Knees is like watching paint dry for me now... But I now have 26 T's and we all get along just fine... :cool:

As long as you learn to research it's husbandry and respect whatever species you wish to keep, I believe you can keep almost anything, Old World or New World.

Keep Keeping!

Shaka

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not necessarily, it depend on other factors as stated above. ;)