Old world or new world??

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do people tell if a T is Old world or new world??

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
old world t's are usually more aggressive than new world, and they lack the uriticating hairs on the abdomen. and i believe that old world refers to species from the east (africa, asia, etc..), whereas new world refers to the americas.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please note I copied and pasted this from another source so if it's wrong.
Tiss not lil ol me. :)

Anyway here's the definition of Old and new world that I found..

--

Old World
A tarantula that originates in the Eastern Hemisphere (e.g., Africa and India).

New World
A tarantula that originates in the Western Hemisphere (e.g., Central and Latin America).

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea that is what i have found out as well ! old world as in europe and africa.. and new world as in america and south america,,=D

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it was by the fang's... Like if the fang's went up and down, then if the fang's went side to side......O-well.....

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
I thought it was by the fang's... Like if the fang's went up and down, then if the fang's went side to side......O-well.....
the difference between jaw mechanisms concern the sub orders liphistidae, mygalomorph (spiders that have become known as tarantulas--excluding the wolf spider who is the original tarantula), and araneomorphae ("true spiders")

the liphistiidae and mygalomorph spiders have the strike-down jaws, whereas araneomorph spiders jaws work moving toward each other.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Krystal said it right, "true spiders" (wolf spiders, jumping spiders, orb weavers) have jaws that work side to side (pincher-like) and the mygalomorphs (tarantulas) and trap door, purse web spiders have fangs similar to a snake strike.

Andy

Old-world is Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia. While new world is North and South America