Old world Fear. Here's the thing guys...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fun fact! I've never heard a rattlesnake rattle in the wild. Not once. They have learned that rattling means more likely to die. It's pretty neat, really.
Just curious - have you "not heard" a variety of rattlesnakes rattle at you, or just specific species? Here in So Cal, the one I encounter most often is Crotalus ruber, and I have never heard them rattle, either. Instead, they inflate their bodies and make these huffing, puffing steam engine noises. On the other hand, when I visit my brother in Arizona, I tend to see other species of rattlesnakes while out hiking - and the majority of them do rattle.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A thing, however, about him. He always replied to the people commenting his vids asking for advices. IMO he's moved by honest passion.
sure, but when the advice is poor, i dont know if that counts. sure he likes spiders and keeps them for enjoyment but hes not very good at keeping them alive.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Just curious - have you "not heard" a variety of rattlesnakes rattle at you, or just specific species? Here in So Cal, the one I encounter most often is Crotalus ruber, and I have never heard them rattle, either. Instead, they inflate their bodies and make these huffing, puffing steam engine noises. On the other hand, when I visit my brother in Arizona, I tend to see other species of rattlesnakes while out hiking - and the majority of them do rattle.
I've encountered many different species of rattlesnakes in the wild, in many different areas, times of day and year, etc. Never heard them rattle.

I kinda feel like I'm missing out lol.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
sure, but when the advice is poor, i dont know if that counts. sure he likes spiders and keeps them for enjoyment but hes not very good at keeping them alive.
He seems to have no problem keeping the fire alarms and lawnmowers alive, though...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've encountered many different species of rattlesnakes in the wild, in many different areas, times of day and year, etc. Never heard them rattle.

Interesting! I was wondering if it was more species-specific. I've removed assorted (live) rattlesnakes from the road to prevent them getting hit by cars, and while they'll

I've only heard them rattle a couple of times. There was one outside Tucson (species unknown, but the wrong color for Crotalus ruber) that was hiding under a bush. It rattled as we walked by, but was too well hidden to get a good look at it. Had it not rattled, we'd never have even known it was there. A Crotalus tigris that was crossing the trail in front of me when I was out hiking at night in Sabino Canyon paused to give me a warning rattle before continuing on his way.

I've removed a number of snakes from the road (so they wouldn't get hit by cars) and while they will immediately spring into a threat posture and start making those steam engine noises, they stubbornly refuse to rattle - even when essentially "poked with a stick." (Gently lifted with a long stick and placed off the road.)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've removed a number of snakes from the road (so they wouldn't get hit by cars) and while they will immediately spring into a threat posture and start making those steam engine noises, they stubbornly refuse to rattle - even when essentially "poked with a stick." (Gently lifted with a long stick and placed off the road.)
This has been my experience as well. Although sadly most of the ones I find on the road are DOR - Dead On Road. :(

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
rattlesnake.JPG

Fortunately for me, this one rattled. :eek:

Ironically, I've never encountered a rattlesnake while searching for inverts but instead, starting down a path from my apartment. It was right by the path and I saw it rear up at the same time as I heard it and just reacted, literally throwing myself back and was still consciously processing that this was a rattlesnake as I lay on the ground. (Thank you, amygdala! For this I now forgive you for reacting similarly to an inch-long centipede! :embarrassed: )

Not only did this one rattle in warning, it stayed poised and rattling long after I'd backed WAY away from it. It was four feet long and seven rattles and had probably lived a long time well away from humans. But this past year, much of the beautiful wild land was sold and they do their slash-and-burn construction and wild-life such as this was displaced. :(

Methal

Arachnosquire
Why would you tongue feed anyway?
There are some here, and on youtube that claim that some of their Ts won't eat unless tong fed.

They are dangerously wrong.

As I see it, the arachnid is exhibiting a defensive threat response at first, then in a split second realizing that the presumed threat is a food item.

If they want food they will eat when they want, or when they can.
Also you may not want to feed aborials juvenile cockroaches who burrow.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are some here, and on youtube hat claim that some of their Ts won't eat unless tong fed.

As I see it, the arachnid is exhibiting a defensive threat response at first, then in a split second realizing that the presumed threat is a food item.

I only tong fed once, involuntarily.
My B.albopilosum jumped all the way from what i thought was a safe distance to latch on the squirming locust. Needless to say I threw feeders in from much further away from then on.
But I see/read posts and videos where especially Avicularia sp are being tong-fed, because 'it won't eat otherwise'. I'm not sure if that holds up as an argument. You can always place the feeder at the entrance of their tunnel, preferably with heads crushed. Maybe it is more a lack if patience of the keeper, than a real feeding problem with the avic. My Avicularia sp never grab the feeder as soon as it enters. They wait until I closed the lid, and eat 15/20 minutes later...which is fine by me :D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
View attachment 224726

Fortunately for me, this one rattled. :eek:

Ironically, I've never encountered a rattlesnake while searching for inverts but instead, starting down a path from my apartment. It was right by the path and I saw it rear up at the same time as I heard it and just reacted, literally throwing myself back and was still consciously processing that this was a rattlesnake as I lay on the ground. (Thank you, amygdala! For this I now forgive you for reacting similarly to an inch-long centipede! :embarrassed: )

Not only did this one rattle in warning, it stayed poised and rattling long after I'd backed WAY away from it. It was four feet long and seven rattles and had probably lived a long time well away from humans. But this past year, much of the beautiful wild land was sold and they do their slash-and-burn construction and wild-life such as this was displaced. :(
When I was a teenager I use to love running through the woods on our property. Then there was the day when I ran up upon and had to jump over a sunbathing rattle snake. Interestingly I woke it up just like it woke me up.

I think snakes are very much like spiders in that they would much rather use their effort on dinner rather than us. And that is part of the purpose of that rattle. And they seem to be hated by the majority of people just like spiders - really sad because both do great jobs at cleaning up some of the excesses in nature that breed too fast.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
There are some here, and on youtube that claim that some of their Ts won't eat unless tong fed.

I am currently using the medicine vial approach for my large T's for top opening enclosures. I put my cricket in the vial. I use my thumb as the lid. I then remove my thumb and tilt the vial upside down in one motion. For the people who are trying to film their feeding this can be done one handed as well.

EDIT* Of course I don't have any large OW T's or extremely aggressive NW T's so this may not work for all cases.

Methal

Arachnosquire
I feel like the reason people say that they feel that venomous snakes are more predictable than tarantulas is because they are. When you look at a H. Maculata you see a beautiful hairy spider. You do not see any movements to indicate its mood, indeed I dont feel that they have moods, just reactions to stimuli. It could be that you breathed through your nose differently and it reacted to that different stimuli. When you jab it with a paintbrush it will react accordingly.

When you look at a venomous snake, lets take the rattlesnake for example since its the one i've had the most experience with.
If the snake is heading away from you, and its tongue is flicking quickly, you might be able to approach it (MIGHT) if its looking right at you and its tongue is doing a slow up down motion, back the frack away! you are a threat and its armed and ready to defend itself.

The thing people need to keep in mind, tarantula's in my opinion are easy to predict, in very simple programming language, they are packed with "if - then" statements. "If these hairs are triggers, then do x"

anyway I hope this thread helps some people. I get really really tired of reading all the misinformation about our OW friends.
I see and read so many things that make me just shake my head and think "ugh..you idiot!" The thing is a lot of these people dont' know they are doing something wrong either. Then get bit, and think it was because the tarantula is in a bad mood, or just mean because of its place on the tree theraphosidae, instead of blaming the guy higher up on the evolutionary ladder.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Agree with the OP in general. However, one thing with OWs that it's hard to really prepare for if you haven't experienced it is their speed. That's one of the main reasons I would suggest people start out with something bit more beginner friendly and then move up so you're at least somewhat used to speed when you get that first Pokie and it teleports from one end of its enclosure to the other before you can even blink.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Agree with the OP in general. However, one thing with OWs that it's hard to really prepare for if you haven't experienced it is their speed. That's one of the main reasons I would suggest people start out with something bit more beginner friendly and then move up so you're at least somewhat used to speed when you get that first Pokie and it teleports from one end of its enclosure to the other before you can even blink.
Like Ephebopus murinus? Their ability to go from motionless to faster-than-the-eye can see never ceases to amaze me! :wideyed:

Methal

Arachnosquire
I've grown up around rattlesnakes (itty bitty 2-3foot cute great basin rattlers) and caught/photographed and observed dozens if not a few hundred of them. I routinely throughout summer catch them, color a bead on their rattler and release them far away from people. I must say though that even when I do not attempt to disturb them, they rattle. They have several different kinds of rattles, a quick flick, or a hard Bzzzzzzzzt, sometimes they mix them, flick bzzzzt flick. Never been bit by one because I can read their intentions, and moods so to speak. Watch the tongue, slow methodic? That bugger will bite you! quick flicks? curious and worried. But like damn near every other animal, they will fear you, and will in a lot of cases hold their ground when they are threatened. Just wait and watch and they will calm down and slither off.