Old world bites

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Just curious. Im middle aged. Still new in the hobby. Had emperor scorpions and a rosea during my elementary school days, but dont count those times as "experience".
I have a gbb and a hentzi. Both are great and love em.
I always wondered how an old world bite would affect someone with an underlying condition like heart palpitations or diabetes. Should such ppl not get these types. I get heart palpitations sometimes but far from being diabetic.
Im not in a hurry to get one.. my wife actually caught me looking at old worlds and said no.. but still im curious about how an old world bite would affect ppl with underlying conditions.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Don't get bit.....end of story.Im serious .Im 65 and getting close to 66.ive got a boat load of OW,s.
I don't worry about it,at all.Im more worried about Covid-19.Or walking across the street.
Or going to the grocery store.
Respect them,prepare don't get bit.End of story!.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
They won’t go out of their way to bite so as long as you are vigilant you’re fine. The vast majority of people I’ve seen get bit are those being reckless/ignorant so with some caution you are unlikely to get bitten.

If you were bitten you could be at a greater risk however everybody has a completely different reaction to venom. Medical conditions or not, sadly there is no way to predict properly...

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just curious. Im middle aged. Still new in the hobby. Had emperor scorpions and a rosea during my elementary school days, but dont count those times as "experience".
I always wondered how an old world bite would affect someone with an underlying condition like heart palpitations or diabetes. Should such ppl not get these types. I get heart palpitations sometimes but far from being diabetic.
Im not in a hurry to get one.. my wife actually caught me looking at old worlds and said no.. but still im curious about how an old world bite would affect ppl with underlying conditions.
You can check out the forum bite reports and get an idea. Fortunately I don't think anyone died.
I guess a Pokie bite could theoretically mess up someone with existing heart conditions really bad.
But then the chance of getting bit, if you know what you are doing, is really low.

I think the OW species have somewhat of an unwarranted bad reputation. (and poor Pokies, people seem to be so afraid of their venom).
I always make it a point to tell people that tarantulas are not aggressive but rather defensive.
They don't want to bite humans, they really don't.
  • If the T gives you a threat pose and you still put your hand in there, you are reckless.
  • If you don't even know what a threat pose is and put your hand in there, you are ignorant.
  • If you don't check where the T is and just casually put your hand in the enclosure to do maintenance, you are careless.

Of course, there is always a risk that on a terrible day, the T without any warning just rushes out of its burrow, up your tongs while you are changing the water dish and tags you in a freak accident.
But then you could be having the best cat in the world and it could accidentally scratch your neck right where the artery is.
You may not even have any pet and trip on your own foot and hit your head.
*touch wood*

So ultimately, there's a risk to everything.
Existing conditions or not, I strongly believe that if you respect the T, you are gonna be fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Read bite reports forum.

Some species such a Pokis and a few others can affect your heart beating.

In the med literature they sent some grown men to hospitals. People report severe muscle spasms, sometimes lasting weeks.

Given the species you have, get a Psalmo first, then get a Ceratogyrus. Not all OWs venom is as strong as the next, and ultimately you may have severe pain from 1 species, and I, not.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Read bite reports forum.

Some species such a Pokis and a few others can affect your heart beating.

In the med literature they sent some grown men to hospitals. People report severe muscle spasms, sometimes lasting weeks.

Given the species you have, get a Psalmo first, then get a Ceratogyrus. Not all OWs venom is as strong as the next, and ultimately you may have severe pain from 1 species, and I, not.
This.