Old Ts

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have a Brachypelma Auratum male, he has had a rather large bald spot on his abdomen for weeks now. He has molted twice since I got him, but those bald spots were different. They were black with not a lot of hair. Now it is tan, like skin color and there isn't any micro hairs or long hair. He still takes one meal a week without hesitation. He is my first T that I ever bought. 5 months ago. He is the one that got me into the hobby and now I have 11 Ts total! But judging by this picture, do you think he is getting to the point where he might pass away soon?

Attachments

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Check for tibial hooks or emboli to confirm its mature. Matures males can live about 1 year.

Skin colored bald spots just mean it kicked hairs, and has nothing to do with spiders health or premolt.

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
Check for tibial hooks or emboli to confirm its mature. Matures males can live about 1 year.

Skin colored bald spots just mean it kicked hairs, and has nothing to do with spiders health or premolt.
I'm not seeing any tibial hooks

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
If the bald spot is black then the spider is in premolt. I think it has just kicked some hairs. My hamorii went on a massive kicking spree and had a pink bald spot. 3 days later the bald spot was black and it molted a week later. No tibial hooks means that he isn't mature. How large is his diagonal leg span?

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
If the bald spot is black then the spider is in premolt. I think it has just kicked some hairs. My hamorii went on a massive kicking spree and had a pink bald spot. 3 days later the bald spot was black and it molted a week later. No tibial hooks means that he isn't mature. How large is his diagonal leg span?
I would say 2 to 3 inches. I'm judging based off of my view over the enclosure. I dont like to stress my Ts out or take them out.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
B auratum should get 5-6" leg span so I would guess that he will be around for some time:D

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Could you post a clear picture of his pedipalps? Just to make sure he's not a mature male. :)
And while you're at it, could you also provide a picture of his whole enclosure? To me, it looks as if there might be too much vertical space.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Bald spots are no indication of age/health, just means your boy's been flicking hairs as tarantulas do. ;)

They can live a fair bit longer than that, depending on the species and how well they're maintained.

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
Could you post a clear picture of his pedipalps? Just to make sure he's not a mature male. :)
And while you're at it, could you also provide a picture of his whole enclosure? To me, it looks as if there might be too much vertical space.

Attachments

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I had an Aphonopelma seemannii in my classroom, years ago...each spring when I took her home for summer, her little bottom would so bald. I think the students would bother her just to see her kick hairs...

Last edited:

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
I had an Aphonopelma seemannii in my classroom, years ago...each spring when I took her home for summer, her little bottom would so bald. I think the students would bother her just to see her kick hairs...
My Brachypelma auratum seems to kick hairs all the time. Even when he just molted. I'm not sure why. I dont handle any of my Ts and I dont do anything to scare them.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Yeah...Terri was like that...I'd walk by and she'd kick hairs, the wind would blow, and she'd kick hairs.

I got her from a pet shop back in the mid ‘90s, I’m pretty sure that she was wild caught...that might be why she was so “quick to kick”.

I still miss her.

Adubblj

Arachnopeon
Yeah...Terri was like that...I'd walk by and she'd kick hairs, the wind would blow, and she'd kick hairs.

I got her from a pet shop back in the mid ‘90s, I’m pretty sure that she was wild caught...that might be why she was so “quick to kick”.

I still miss her.
Yeah mine is named Monty, and he thinks everything is food. If I start to fill up his water dish, he attacks the water dish and gets angry.