Old spirit bottles in an enclosure

englishboar

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I'm new to the hobby and thinking ahead for when my little ones get fully grown.

I have empty rum and whisky bottles and I was wondering if there was a reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to have them as a centre piece in a tank.

I would clean and disinfect before it being placed, any take off any papers/labels and ensure the lid was glued on.

I've searched to try and find examples but haven't been able to find any, makes me think there's a good reason for this.

TIA

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Couple issues:

-T might fall on hard object like a bottle and splat

-T could burrow under bottles, resulting in collapse; similar to digging under a rock.... Also splat.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I'm a big proponent of designing animal enclosures for the animals they enclose. So, the main motivating factor for me is whether the animal will benefit from whatever I'm considering. If yes, I try to do it; if no, I try to forget about it. I don't think the T will benefit from having a bottle in an enclosure.

Most folks here seem not to advocate enclosures that are so large that there's extra room in there for a bottle.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m the wild Ts don’t live around junk, certainly didn’t evolve with junk. I don’t keep junk in with animals.

however one man’s junk is another’s treasure

Last edited:

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
It could work if the bottle was supported by the ground rather than substrate (spacers may be necessary for this) and there was no way they could fall on the bottle (no decor over it and no screen lid).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As far as the bottles presenting toxins goes, mom nature distills more assorted alcohol containing liquids in a few minutes than Budweiser in a few years. IE, it's a natural process common to almost all environments.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
As long as it's cleaned and secured so that there's no risk of falling or collapsing into substrate, there's no reason you can't add a bottle to your enclosure.

englishboar

Arachnopeon
Good to know, so if I can find like a half stand to keep it at a low angle, and thus supported. I could have the bottom touching the bottom of the enclosure and then build the substrate around it.

In addition, provided I do not have any thing above it so the T could fall I should be good.

Thank you for your help

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I have empty rum and whisky bottles and I was wondering if there was a reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to have them as a centre piece in a tank.
Because it's empty? 😁
To me a center piece would look more attractive if full. Just an opinion thing. Either way should be fine... most terrariums are glass anyways.

englishboar

Arachnopeon
As much as I like the idea of full bottles, I would hate to wistfully look at them wishing I could drink them 🤣

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Whenever someone says they have a drinking problem I tell them to get a pokie and put the bottles in its enclosure. When they want one they have to get it from the pokie. They get over their addiction pretty fast.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The enclosures should be made having the Ts in mind, not looking for our own pleasure. You can create awesome setups without using empty bottles, pumpkins... etc. an empty bottle would not benefit at all the T.

It's like I love friying pans, so I'll use one like a fish tank... Makes no sense.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Nobody asked, but for which species was intended the use of the bottle?

I'd only make an exception with heavy webbers

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The enclosures should be made having the Ts in mind, not looking for our own pleasure. You can create awesome setups without using empty bottles, pumpkins... etc. an empty bottle would not benefit at all the T.

It's like I love friying pans, so I'll use one like a fish tank... Makes no sense.
Eh, I'm not here to police people's taste. Can you make it safe for your animal? Cool, do whatever weird shit you want.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The issue it's not to make them safe or not, is to keep them properly or not to keep them, as simple as that. If you want to keep an any pet, you should do it regarding their needs. Will the item provide any advantage or benefits? Use it. No? Discard the idea.

That's not to be a police of anybody, is to be responsible toward your pet.

Ps: if I sound too harsh or rude sorry, that's the way I translate from my mother language 😅

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The issue it's not to make them safe or not, is to keep them properly or not to keep them, as simple as that. If you want to keep an any pet, you should do it regarding their needs. Will the item provide any advantage or benefits? Use it. No? Discard the idea.

That's not to be a police of anybody, is to be responsible toward your pet.

Ps: if I sound too harsh or rude sorry, that's the way I translate from my mother language 😅
It seems to me that you have a very narrow view of the "proper" way to keep animals. I personally choose to keep my enclosures so simple that people without knowledge of the species tend to think it's sad or even abusive even though it is perfect for their needs, but I would not think less of a keeper who chose to add decor that does not harm the animal or make its life more difficult. Much the way some people choose to buy their cats and dogs fancy beds and furniture even though these animals do not require these things, Why can't someone choose to put a useless but harmless bit of decoration in their vivarium?

englishboar

Arachnopeon
My intention wasn't to cause a divide 😬

Just trying to find something that connects enjoyment of spirits with my new found hobby of keeping T's.

I'll probably do the bottle idea, but I won't post any pics of the enclosures when I do them so as not to cause any offence to those who wish to make their enclosures as true to life as they can.

I genuinely appreciate the thoughts and comments from all, it's been an education.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
My intention wasn't to cause a divide 😬

Just trying to find something that connects enjoyment of spirits with my new found hobby of keeping T's.

I'll probably do the bottle idea, but I won't post any pics of the enclosures when I do them so as not to cause any offence to those who wish to make their enclosures as true to life as they can.

I genuinely appreciate the thoughts and comments from all, it's been an education.
Please do post photos so that we can provide feedback in case there are any issues, and so that those who are not interested in pointlessly gatekeeping can enjoy your display.