Old spirit bottles in an enclosure

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I personally choose to keep my enclosures so simple that people without knowledge of the species tend to think it's sad or even abusive even though it is perfect for their needs
You nailed it, you personally choosed to keep them that way, and imo if you are not a breeder where obvioulsy the space is a big issue, that's not a propper way to keep them, that's to keep them alive giving them the less amount of things they need to survive. The hoarders do that, and unfortunatelly in this hobby you can encounter too many of them.

If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, pets in general, you should offer them everything that's in your hands to help them to thrive and live fine, and that includes a proper enclosure with a hide, some space and anything that make them feel less vulnerable. And I don't mean that somebody needs to create a habitat like I do, because with two simple things and a proper enclosure anybody could create an awesome setup, that would make the T feel less vulnerable and more secure. Doing that simple thing 99% of the my tarantula is agressive, it's a psycho... threads would be closed.

So if you believe that thinking that we should give them a proper enclosure, with items that will make them feel more secure or less vulnerable instead of giving them things that could pose them a threat is to be narrow minded. Sorry, but I prefer to be "narrow minded" by a mile.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
My intention wasn't to cause a divide 😬

Just trying to find something that connects enjoyment of spirits with my new found hobby of keeping T's.

I'll probably do the bottle idea, but I won't post any pics of the enclosures when I do them so as not to cause any offence to those who wish to make their enclosures as true to life as they can.

I genuinely appreciate the thoughts and comments from all, it's been an education.
Don't worry, that's a forum and everyone has their way of viewing the things, if you want to put a bottle in the enclosure do it, if it has any special meaning for you etc. We would try to help you to do it the safest way even if we disagree.

So post a picture without any hesitation so we could help you better.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
You nailed it, you personally choosed to keep them that way, and imo if you are not a breeder where obvioulsy the space is a big issue, that's not a propper way to keep them, that's to keep them alive giving them the less amount of things they need to survive. The hoarders do that, and unfortunatelly in this hobby you can encounter too many of them.

If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, pets in general, you should offer them everything that's in your hands to help them to thrive and live fine, and that includes a proper enclosure with a hide, some space and anything that make them feel less vulnerable. And I don't mean that somebody needs to create a habitat like I do, because with two simple things and a proper enclosure anybody could create an awesome setup, that would make the T feel less vulnerable and more secure. Doing that simple thing 99% of the my tarantula is agressive, it's a psycho... threads would be closed.

So if you believe that thinking that we should give them a proper enclosure, with items that will make them feel more secure or less vulnerable instead of giving them things that could pose them a threat is to be narrow minded. Sorry, but I prefer to be "narrow minded" by a mile.
...You literally just did the thing that I said people do in the part you quoted. You assumed my minimal setup is not appropriate for my animals, when in fact it provides everything they need to thrive and nothing more. So which is it? Giving things they don't need is bad (bottle), not giving things they don't need is bad (my setups). Please, oh perfect keeper, tell us how we may please you and therefore deserve to keep our pets.

It doesn't matter how YOU feel about the bottle. If the bottle can be rendered safe and not a hazard to the animal, the bottle is NEUTRAL. It is an object in the environment, just like so many objects they encounter out in the real world. Your opinion is irrelevant to this reality, and you saying that people shouldn't have pets if they're not keeping them in some specific way that you define is just ridiculous gatekeeping.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I’m the wild Ts don’t live around junk, certainly didn’t evolve with junk. I don’t keep junk in with animals.

however one man’s junk is another’s treasure
Same..never been a fan of adding skulls, tombstones or any of that junk. I prefer them to look natural.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
...You literally just did the thing that I said people do in the part you quoted. You assumed my minimal setup is not appropriate for my animals, when in fact it provides everything they need to thrive and nothing more. So which is it? Giving things they don't need is bad (bottle), not giving things they don't need is bad (my setups). Please, oh perfect keeper, tell us how we may please you and therefore deserve to keep our pets.

It doesn't matter how YOU feel about the bottle. If the bottle can be rendered safe and not a hazard to the animal, the bottle is NEUTRAL. It is an object in the environment, just like so many objects they encounter out in the real world. Your opinion is irrelevant to this reality, and you saying that people shouldn't have pets if they're not keeping them in some specific way that you define is just ridiculous gatekeeping.
Nobody is perfect, not me nor you, but if people "without knowledge" (I'd like to see them) see your abusive... Sounds bad sorry.

Giving them an enclosure with a simple hide some food and water, is to keep them alive. Giving them an enclosure where they can show their natural behaviours and can interact with it, is to give them a life. They are two completely different things.

I sincerely hope that your's are from the second group, but based on your statements, I have doubts sorry, and syncerely I hope to be wrong, and I don't have any problem saying sorry or admiting I was wrong, so if you want to show me I was wrong I'm open to that.

Last edited:

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, pets in general, you should offer them everything that's in your hands to help them to thrive and live fine, and that includes a proper enclosure with a hide, some space and anything that make them feel less vulnerable. And I don't mean that somebody needs to create a habitat like I do, because with two simple things and a proper enclosure anybody could create an awesome setup, that would make the T feel less vulnerable and more secure.
Allow me to correct you right there, buddy.
If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, you would not be keeping them in the first place, in a man-made setup. Because they belong outside, in nature. They are animals.
But we are selfish creatures. We want those animals to be a part of our living spaces. Under our terms and conditions.
And that includes you. With your "proper" way of keeping pets.
I'm sorry that some people don't get a pass for your high standards of pet keeping.
The ONLY thing that is important here, the only thing that is crucial and really matters, is that the animal's needs are met. Everything else, including enclosure's location, interior design and decor, husbandry methods and routine, animal's diet, etc' is the keeper's own business.
Stop yucking people's yum.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Nobody is perfect, not me nor you, but if people "without knowledge" (I'd like to see them) see your abusive... Sounds bad sorry.

Giving them an enclosure with a simple hide some food and water, is to keep them alive. Giving them an enclosure where they can show their natural behaviours and can interact with it, is to give them a live. They are two completely different things.

I sincerely hope that your's are from the second group, but based on your statements, I have doubts sorry, and syncerely I hope to be wrong, and I don't have any problem saying sorry or admiting I was wrong, so if you want to show me I was wrong I'm open to that.
Wow, you’re making a lot of assumptions, man.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
We're all here because we love our hairy little friends. Some are just giving advice that may help safety in the long run if an accident were to happen (glass bottle falling on spider, spider falling onto it) People are just stating the possible things that could happen if one chooses to use a glass bottle. Some enjoy bare enclosures, some enjoy as realistic as possible. In the end, people will do what they choose to do and that is their preference.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Allow me to correct you right there, buddy.
If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, you would not be keeping them in the first place, in a man-made setup. Because they belong outside, in nature. They are animals.
But we are selfish creatures. We want those animals to be a part of our living spaces
10000% agree can't and don't want to argue with that, because there is nothing to argue.
Under our terms and conditions.
And because we are keeping them "under our terms snd conditions" are we allowed to keep them improperly? Sorry but dissagree, completely. I saw enclosure that with two things were way better than others more complicated. Complicated doesn't mean better, and you don't need a big enclosure to give them almost a perfect setup. If we have the need to fill our selfish side, at least we should give them a enclosure to live, not to keep them alive.

The ONLY thing that is important here, the only thing that is crucial and really matters, is that the animal's needs are met.
And that should be mandatory. And not everybody mets those needs.
Everything else, including enclosure's location, interior design and decor, husbandry methods and routine, animal's diet, etc' is the keeper's own business.
And that's the selfish phrase I have read, bravo. Because they "are ours" we could keep them like we want, bravo... A nice way to give animal right groups reasons to start fucking up our hobby.

No, it's not keeper's own business, it's our business to keep them correctly, if not stupid laws start poping up everywhere, and that's thanks to that kind of mentallity. We should be the ones interested on their wellbeing, and to achieve that you don't need nothing special, not giving them huge enclosures/vivariums like I did nor expensive stuff. A simple shoebox, with some stuff like cork barks, fake plats, roots... that act like hiding places, giving them a place to burrow or feel more secure in a shadow... that's everything they need, along with a good keeper that will supply all their needs, nothing else.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Same..never been a fan of adding skulls, tombstones or any of that junk. I prefer them to look natural.
Yep, but I did see one setup that had a skull, and I liked it. BUT, that's only because the person made it look like a skull you'd find in the wild, pretty realistic

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you really care about your pets, not only Ts, you would not be keeping them in the first place, in a man-made setup. Because they belong outside, in nature.
Decoration on terrariums. On the beaches we call it low tide trash. To each their own.
Animal health, safety and contentment comes first. And oh yes, when someone sees their critter using paint chips to decide what color should be on what wall, please get a video or at least a pictorial essay.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
@Dorifto Man, I love those plants and that substrate. So natural. That is fantastic.
My beloved topsoil hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣 if someone worries about those fibers, they are decayed leafs from the chamaedorea.

The low part needs to be compacted a bit since the earthworms and the isopods loosened it a bit.

The Snark

Old Timer
I showed to my pulchra a cream colour palette with some chocolate accents and she loves it
A man I know showed a fine art painting, a Van Gogh replica, to his cat. The cat was obsessed in eating it. So much for using authentic materials like fish gelatin for backing adhesive.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
A man I know showed a fine art painting, a Van Gogh replica, to his cat. The cat was obsessed in eating it. So much for using authentic materials like fish gelatin for backing adhesive.
I love fake plants too 😉

The Snark

Old Timer
I love fake plants too
Row of houses, upscale neighborhood, north El Molino Ave. Pasadena. Houses of the west side up on a gentle slope above street level. One house was sold. The landscaping and lawn was removed to bare dirt, all greenery gone. The slope was then terraced off into concrete levels. Then planters with plastic plants were placed over the entire area. Lastly a small sign appeared down at the bottom of the slope next to the sidewalk. RETIRED GARDENER.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Row of houses, upscale neighborhood, north El Molino Ave. Pasadena. Houses of the west side up on a gentle slope above street level. One house was sold. The landscaping and lawn was removed to bare dirt, all greenery gone. The slope was then terraced off into concrete levels. Then planters with plastic plants were placed over the entire area. Lastly a small sign appeared down at the bottom of the slope next to the sidewalk. RETIRED GARDENER.
I know people from Uk watering fake suculents for three years... :troll: