Okinawa Trapdoor Spider Egg sac

Denbert

Arachnosquire
I would just like to ask about trapdoor spiders having eggsac. How to care for it. An when is the right time to pull the egg sac out? Thanks

PS. I do not have much knowledge on this matter. Please bear with me. haha. Thank you! :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Trapdoor eggsacs are really hard to pull. Best to just wait until the slings emerge on their own. Carewise just keep doing what you're doing since the mother was comfortable enough to drop a sac. She'll make sure it's properly cared for.

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Trapdoor eggsacs are really hard to pull. Best to just wait until the slings emerge on their own. Carewise just keep doing what you're doing since the mother was comfortable enough to drop a sac. She'll make sure it's properly cared for.
wouldn't the slings escape the enclosure?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't believe they can climb smooth surfaces, but I don't know how you have them set up either.

Denbert

Arachnosquire
I don't believe they can climb smooth surfaces, but I don't know how you have them set up either.
I could just leave them in the enclosure of their mom until they climb out of the enclosure? thank you. :)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Leave the slings to their own devices. They take quite a while to hatch but once they do, they will just stay in the mother's burrow for ages. Once they start coming outside, carefully empty the container into a larger one and seperate the mother. Once all the the slings have settled down and made their own burrows, you can decide what you want to do with them.
20190226_134031.jpg 20190310_085112.jpg

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Leave the slings to their own devices. They take quite a while to hatch but once they do, they will just stay in the mother's burrow for ages. Once they start coming outside, carefully empty the container into a larger one and seperate the mother. Once all the the slings have settled down and made their own burrows, you can decide what you want to do with them.
View attachment 302610 View attachment 302611
I have mine crawling far from their mother and their really really small. Is this a good sign? It's even hard to see them.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I have mine crawling far from their mother and their really really small. Is this a good sign? It's even hard to see them.
If they are freely crawling around, then now is a good time to remove them, otherwise they may start eating each other if they are in a small container.

I would remove all substrate from the mother's container and transfer it into a larger one, and then rehouse the mother back into her container again. Add some more substrate to the larger container, the extra space and substrate should help prevent the slings eating each other. For feeding, I order pinhead crickets online and shake a bunch into the container but if they are not available to you then flightless fruit fly colonies will also suffice. Is this species Latouchia swinhoei?

Denbert

Arachnosquire
If they are freely crawling around, then now is a good time to remove them, otherwise they may start eating each other if they are in a small container.

I would remove all substrate from the mother's container and transfer it into a larger one, and then rehouse the mother back into her container again. Add some more substrate to the larger container, the extra space and substrate should help prevent the slings eating each other. For feeding, I order pinhead crickets online and shake a bunch into the container but if they are not available to you then flightless fruit fly colonies will also suffice. Is this species Latouchia swinhoei?
Yes. These are Latouchia Swinhoei. I don't think they'd be able to eat any feeders now. They are too small for that. Can I separate them and do water feeding instead?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Yes. These are Latouchia Swinhoei. I don't think they'd be able to eat any feeders now. They are too small for that. Can I separate them and do water feeding instead?
If you have enough containers, you can seperate them individually, but for now it would be easiest to just put all the slings in a larger container. Wetting down the topsoil will let them drink so that's a good idea. Trapdoor slings can go quite a while before their first meal, but to be safe I'd look at ordering something small enough for them to eat like pinheads or fruit flies. Can I see a photo of them? I'll be able to tell you how urgently they need food or if they will be right for a while

Denbert

Arachnosquire
If you have enough containers, you can seperate them individually, but for now it would be easiest to just put all the slings in a larger container. Wetting down the topsoil will let them drink so that's a good idea. Trapdoor slings can go quite a while before their first meal, but to be safe I'd look at ordering something small enough for them to eat like pinheads or fruit flies. Can I see a photo of them? I'll be able to tell you how urgently they need food or if they will be right for a while
Here's the picture. They're really small tho. Thank you. ☺

Attachments

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Here's the picture. They're really small tho. Thank you. ☺
They look nice and plump so they should be fine for a little while. Last batch of Arbanitis sp. ones I had I just fed the whole lot twice a week, but once a week would be fine too. The flightless fruit flies are probably better because they don't jump away like crickets do

Denbert

Arachnosquire
They look nice and plump so they should be fine for a little while. Last batch of Arbanitis sp. ones I had I just fed the whole lot twice a week, but once a week would be fine too. The flightless fruit flies are probably better because they don't jump away like crickets do
But can I still put them all in one enclosure?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
But can I still put them all in one enclosure?
20180706_082600.jpg
Yep. Try using something around 30cmx30cm wide and 10cm deep (12"X12"x4").
This was what the little Arbanitis sp. were kept in for a while. This species doesn't build lids so it is easy to see all their little burrows

lance grim

Arachnopeon
I would just like to ask about trapdoor spiders having eggsac. How to care for it. An when is the right time to pull the egg sac out? Thanks

PS. I do not have much knowledge on this matter. Please bear with me. haha. Thank you! :)
how do u breed them

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
how to know if my female is ready to breed
How close is she to average max adult size for the species? If she's at least over half the max size (but preferably a bit larger), she should be pretty fine to pair. However, it's best to do so not long after she's molted, because if she molts after pairing then the eggsack won't be viable. Make sure she is well fed prior to introducing the male, give the enclosure a decent misting to increase the humidity in the air a bit, and then add the male. I find it's better to do this in a dimly lit room to mimic the early hours of the evening which is when the males start wandering in the wild. After that, just introduce the male and let him do his thing. They sometimes sit curled up for ages after introduction, but eventually should begin wandering and drumming

lance grim

Arachnopeon
How close is she to average max adult size for the species? If she's at least over half the max size (but preferably a bit larger), she should be pretty fine to pair. However, it's best to do so not long after she's molted, because if she molts after pairing then the eggsack won't be viable. Make sure she is well fed prior to introducing the male, give the enclosure a decent misting to increase the humidity in the air a bit, and then add the male. I find it's better to do this in a dimly lit room to mimic the early hours of the evening which is when the males start wandering in the wild. After that, just introduce the male and let him do his thing. They sometimes sit curled up for ages after introduction, but eventually should begin wandering and drumming
my male is keep on the surface of substrate and dont want to dig hes keep on drumming. but im afraid cuz idunno why he lost his 2front leg in the right part. can i still use him to breed?

Melskiee19

Arachnopeon
I was wondering how big does Latouchia swinhoei exceed?
I can't find an article about their size.