Answered Okay, who edited my response, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Apparently something needed editing in one of my posts under what happened in the spider room today. I don't know what it was or who did it so I don't know who to ask. Only way to learn or become more sensitive is to be aware of what your mistake was. Can someone let me know? Is it possible that if someone makes an edit or change, that can be indicated in your alerts with the staff member's name in red or something? Thanks very much. Sorry for the trouble.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just looked at the history. Nothing was changed.

If we accidentally hit "edit" on another user's post, that user is notified regardless if we make a change or not. So I assume it was a mistake.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Apparently something needed editing in one of my posts under what happened in the spider room today. I don't know what it was or who did it so I don't know who to ask. Only way to learn or become more sensitive is to be aware of what your mistake was. Can someone let me know? Is it possible that if someone makes an edit or change, that can be indicated in your alerts with the staff member's name in red or something?
I merged consecutive replies that were posted within a short timeframe. No changes are made to the content of merged posts despite the "Last edited by a moderator" tag that is automatically added whenever the "merge posts" feature is used.

If I edit the actual content, Arachnoboards prompts me to provide an explanation to the user, which I always do. (I think this type of edit identifies me to you in your notifications.)

All revision histories are visible by staff to allow oversight/identify abuse.

Thank you for your understanding.

(Tagging @Arachnopets in case she has anything to add.)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Oh excellent. Yes, that totally makes sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I didn't think any text was missing, and I was sure I hadn't used any inappropriate language or anything. I was just baffled when I saw the little note. I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm trying to get into the habit of using multiple quotes, but sometimes the intention is not necessarily to have so many responses!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Oh excellent. Yes, that totally makes sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I didn't think any text was missing, and I was sure I hadn't used any inappropriate language or anything. I was just baffled when I saw the little note. I really do appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm trying to get into the habit of using multiple quotes, but sometimes the intention is not necessarily to have so many responses!
No problem!

Did it actually send you a notification, or did you just see "Last edited by a moderator" on your post? If you received a notification, would you mind PM'ing me a screenshot so I can see how it looks for the end user?

If you're violating forum rules, you'll definitely get a real notification (typically via PM but possibly via your notifications if it's just a gentle nudge/reminder) and not just see "Last edited by a moderator" on a post.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm fairly certain that no notice is given when posts are merged as the posts remain intact.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
May I just say, that I like the merging of posts. ;)

I'm a moderator on a German forum and we have a "no double post within 24 hours" rule. Since we introduced that rule, it's quite rare that we have to merge posts. It's so much easier to read when you don't have multiple posts of the same user. :)

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm fairly certain that no notice is given when posts are merged as the posts remain intact.
I'm sure I received an alert when two posts were merged, I remember looking at the post and wondering what was edited then realised that two consecutive posts had been merged. It wasn't long ago but the alert 'log' doesn't go back far enough to find it.
I found the thread , it was on Tuesday but the alert has been deleted I guess, they don't go back that far.

If you merge this with the previous comment I can let you know when I get up in the morning , it's past 1am here.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sure I received an alert when two posts were merged, I remember looking at the post and wondering what was edited then realised that two consecutive posts had been merged. It wasn't long ago but the alert 'log' doesn't go back far enough to find it.
I found the thread , it was on Tuesday but the alert has been deleted I guess, they don't go back that far.
That surprises me...there are many people who probably have a dozen posts merged a day...I wonder, if they are being alerted, why on earth do they keep doing it:banghead:. That actually makes this constant merging even more frustrating.:meh:

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Hmm, no alert this time, maybe I was mistaken, sorry. It wasn't that long ago, I was sure It was in my alerts, I check them when I wake up and my comments were the last in the thread.
Anyway , mine were merged because I commented, continued sorting out crickets and commented about that 20 mins or so later in a separate reply rather than editing the previous comment. I'll try to avoid that in future :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
my current list - 93 T's
Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 9:47 PM

My first post on this thread was edited by a Mod. As it wasn't offensive, I have no clue why. Which is one of the few things I don't like about this site - if you're going to edit my posts, give me a reason why so if I did something wrong I can correct it. But if didn't do anything wrong, please don't edit my posts.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 9:47 PM

My first post on this thread was edited by a Mod. As it wasn't offensive, I have no clue why. Which is one of the few things I don't like about this site - if you're going to edit my posts, give me a reason why so if I did something wrong I can correct it. But if didn't do anything wrong, please don't edit my posts.
Possibly just a function of how the forum software works. See an explanation from @Ungoliant about why that message can appear:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/okay-who-edited-my-response-and-why.306238/#post-2778183

cold blood

Staff member
Okay. But the software edits peoples posts for no reason? Nice.
Your post was edited because it included your list of owned ts (a significant list)...this list is not permitted on the forums or in signatures as it is a source of clogging threads, or it has been in the past. There is a specific place on your profile for your list. List your ts here, then any time you want it listed, simply link it.

Also, do not get offended by editing of posts, it happens, its not ever malicious or personal, and it wont always come with an explanation. The TOS we all agreed to tells you this.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Your post was edited because it included your list of owned ts (a significant list)...this list is not permitted on the forums or in signatures as it is a source of clogging threads, or it has been in the past. There is a specific place on your profile for your list. List your ts here, then any time you want it listed, simply link it.

Also, do not get offended by editing of posts, its happens, its not ever malicious or personal, and it wont always come with an explanation. The TOS we all agreed to tells you this.
Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay. But the software edits peoples posts for no reason? Nice.
Not on its own, no.

There are two ways to see a "Last edited by a moderator" notification on a post:
  1. A staff member edited the actual content. (I always include an explanation if I do this.) You may also get an Alert if this occurs.
  2. A staff member used the "merge posts" feature. This does not change any content; all it does is merge two consecutive posts into one. This feature is used for consecutive replies by the same user that are posted on the same day. (There is no box for an explanation when merging posts, so you won't get a reason.) This does not result in an Alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.