Okay Guys! Whats next?

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I currently have 5 tarantulas, mostly terrestrial, 1 arboreal. I am looking for some suggestions on new additions. What are your favorite species to keep? Trying to keep it affordable. Thanks guys!

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Would help to know what you already have.

I have:
A. geniculata
G. pulchra
P. murinus

And I can recommend, without hesitation:
A. geniculata
G. pulchra
P. murinus

:D

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
N. incei, D. diamantinensis, N. tripepii, E. sp Red/Yellow....just look at my profile list LOL

edit for photo insert
IMAG3057.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
P. cambridgei...One of the coolest t ever...seriously, that is my opinion, they're everything one wants in a t...fast growing, fairly large, unbelievable eaters, they're green (the least common T "color"), and the larger they grow, the better display species they make as they are out in the open much, if not most of the time. They are easily bred, and therefore cheaper and typically easy to find. They are also pretty calm and while still fast, not typically all that difficult to deal with.

Already have a cam?? Then irminia is great...less visible, much more reclusive and a little smaller, but dang, when you see them...its worth it.

A Pamphobetus...what species you ask??? It literally does not matter...get the one you find the best deal on and get it as a sling, cause they are awesome slings to raise (like the cams)...supreme eaters...like, they will catch food like a dog, and they are always out, so they make great display spiders...most get quite large and impressive...MMs are brightly colored in pinks and purples, females typically are more deep chocolaty brown or black...and they do have nice carapaces as well. Growth when young is staggering, its like a totally new t every molt.

Or just get an avic, any avic...you can't ever have too many fuzzy cricket killing avics around.

Incei are also a great option....highly underrated.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Grammostola pulchra. What they lack in bright colours they make up with being as black as night.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I currently have 5 tarantulas, mostly terrestrial, 1 arboreal. I am looking for some suggestions on new additions. What are your favorite species to keep? Trying to keep it affordable. Thanks guys!
I have:
B. smithi
A. geniculata
A. chalcodes
A. seemani
A. avic
Your collection is heavily biased towards:
- New World Tarantulas
- Aphonopelma

Considering that the brachypelma are pretty similar to the aphonopelma, and that there is no
reason to believe you are even considering moving towards old world T's, and the fact that your collection is primarily terrestrial, with the exception of the A. Avic which fills your arboreal space, your next T will be a Lasiodora Parahybana, for their size and straying from the stillness of the brachypelma and aphonopelma.

You could also get a green bottle blue to spice it up.

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Grammostola pulchripes. Gets to be pretty big and is a great eater. I stopped feeding mine as it's gotten too fat.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
GBB, P. sazimai, B. vagans, Y. diversipes, a pokie perhaps? Although I would suggest a psalmo first.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Not sure about your location, but some super affordable $10 slings in the great white north:

Hapalopus sp. Colombia - large
Lasiodora difficilis
Lasiodora parahybana
Nhandu chromatus
Phormictopus cancerides
Hysterocrates sp. Nigeria
Brachypelma albopilosum

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I'm gunna go out on a crazy tiny limb and say.....OBT?

benefits:
-beautiful
-Orange
-amazing webbing (if you give them a good amount of substrate, but not too much, you get a crazy tunnel system)
-good eaters
-usually fairly cheap

Cons:
-fast.
-they bite
-beautiful threat posture(which can also be a benefit)
-did i mention they are fast and bite?

no but for real, id Agree with @BishopiMaster that a LP( lasiodora Parahybana AKA Salmon Pink Birdeater) is a great option. i had a similar list as you when i first started and i went with a LP and it has been wonderful. my Girl is now currently pushing 8" and an absolute delight.
she's usually out, she has amazing feeding response(similar to A. Geniculata) nice little pink fluffs, and oh Boy the Size is beautiful.

BUT in all seriousness if you did want to dip a toe into the Old World realm, id highly suggest a E. Pachypus (aka Stout leg baboon) beautiful species with a good amount of color and awesome Huge back legs.
as far as baboons they seem to be the most well tempered and what id personally suggest as the best starter baboon species.

most pet holes but will give you much of the needed experience for other OW's without all the Same risks or insane speed.
and their venom isn't as bad to boot. after being bit by both E. Pachypus and by a OBT and other baboons, i can tell you the pachypus is truly a step down from most other baboons and usually not a trip to the ER (looking at you H. Maculata and S. Calceatum)

user 666

Arachnobaron
P cancerides.

This T has been one of my favorites ever since it crawled out of its delivery straw. I got one at just over an inch, and see it almost every day. It is active but not aggressive, and reasonably tolerant of me opening the enclosure.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want a nw that's a little different try Lasiodorides polycuspulatus trust me im a doctor well a keeper at least

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

basin79

ArachnoGod
Grammostola iheringi
View media item 39593View media item 39592
Psalmopoeus irminia/cambridgei
View media item 39006View media item 39594View media item 40167View media item 40166
Nhandu chromatus
View media item 39541
Pamphobeteus antinous
View media item 39947
Caribena versicolor
View media item 38105View media item 39595View media item 38446
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Lasiodora klugi/difficilis
Brachypelma emilia
A Grammostola iheringi has been on my radar. I'll have one soon.