Okay Guys! Whats next?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
and their venom isn't as bad to boot. after being bit by both E. Pachypus and by a OBT and other baboons, i can tell you the pachypus is truly a step down from most other baboons and usually not a trip to the ER (looking at you H. Maculata and S. Calceatum)
@Tanner Dzula
Just curious, how could you tell if the bite from E. pachypus was a wet or dry bite resulting in much different results??

Last edited:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Personally I love Ts with varied behaviors so I'd say E. Murinis as you're lacking a fossorial species. After that I'd dive into OWs if you're interested in that change of pace.

Last edited:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
@Tanner Dzula
Just curious, how could you tell if the bite from E. pachypus was a wet or dry bite resulting in much different results??
because I've had both, total been tagged 3 times by my E. Pachypus(all 3 of my own stupidity and probably shouldnt have happened) 1 was for sure a dry bite, and two for sure was NOT dry bites. there was a significant difference between the two, and with the dry bite, it was more of a very quick Tap and lasted for a split second.
with the other two it was an actual Full on Bite, she dug her fangs in and did not release for a almost a solid 2 seconds before she proceeded to run back down my arm and across my table to the wall where i caught her with a catch cup.
the situation for the bite technically shouldnt have even happened, but i screwed up and was in a bit of a rush, i went to fill her water dish and my hand slipped a bit and basicly dumped a MASSIVE amount of water into her enclosure. flooded a lot of the substrate on that side of the tank, so didn't really have a choice but to re-house her temporarily, and she was not happy about it.

Don't get me wrong, its still painful, and not anything to joke about, but its definitely not on quite the same level of pain as a OBT.
With the Pachy, i started to sweat, got pretty nauseous, was some burning at the bite location and my heart was beating pretty fast throughout the day and a little into the next morning. by the next day-mid day i felt fine with little to no symptoms present left other then the occasional slight burning from the bite site. overall, it was 1-2 days of discomfort with the first day being the worst by far. I'm not trying to down play it but all I'm saying is it is literally night and day compared to the bite of an OBT.
My OBT was only ~3.5" at the time, and it tagged my right above my wrist, and within minutes felt like my whole arm was on Fire. the swelling was pretty bad and the pain was some the worst I've experienced in regards to an animal/arachnid encounter. on top of that the muscle cramps lasted for days after. basicly 1-2 days of discomfort VS 1week+ of pain and discomfort and muscle cramps.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Boy, you sure do get tagged a lot.
well, to be honest it was only two seperate incidents where I've been bitten.

the bites with the pachypus were all within a few days in regards to the situation i mentioned, which was obviously my own mistake and she was, I'm sure, a very irritated T at the time, understandable considering i basicly flooded her hide and forced her into the open(the first dry tag) i then had to coax her out to rehouse her( first actual wet bite) and then after getting a new set up going and actually doing the rehousing was the second wet bite. I'm pretty sure this whole experience just kind of frazzled her.

she was nothing but amazing both before and after that.

The OBT was me just plain being stupid and trying to get a picture of it while he was threat postured. learned the hard way that i will never do that again.

i learn lessons the hard way, but i try not to repeat the same mistakes twice.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'll throw in a vote for the P. cambridgei. I bough one not really knowing what they were and I really ended up liking mine. They grow fast and are good eaters. My boy is always doing something crazy. It is also one of my more active Ts. DSCN8548.JPG

I also like his close cousin, the P. pulcher, though she can be a butt at times.

DSCN8494.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
because I've had both, total been tagged 3 times by my E. Pachypus(all 3 of my own stupidity and probably shouldnt have happened) 1 was for sure a dry bite, and two for sure was NOT dry bites. there was a significant difference between the two, and with the dry bite, it was more of a very quick Tap and lasted for a split second.
with the other two it was an actual Full on Bite, she dug her fangs in and did not release for a almost a solid 2 seconds before she proceeded to run back down my arm and across my table to the wall where i caught her with a catch cup.
the situation for the bite technically shouldnt have even happened, but i screwed up and was in a bit of a rush, i went to fill her water dish and my hand slipped a bit and basicly dumped a MASSIVE amount of water into her enclosure. flooded a lot of the substrate on that side of the tank, so didn't really have a choice but to re-house her temporarily, and she was not happy about it.

Don't get me wrong, its still painful, and not anything to joke about, but its definitely not on quite the same level of pain as a OBT.
With the Pachy, i started to sweat, got pretty nauseous, was some burning at the bite location and my heart was beating pretty fast throughout the day and a little into the next morning. by the next day-mid day i felt fine with little to no symptoms present left other then the occasional slight burning from the bite site. overall, it was 1-2 days of discomfort with the first day being the worst by far. I'm not trying to down play it but all I'm saying is it is literally night and day compared to the bite of an OBT.
My OBT was only ~3.5" at the time, and it tagged my right above my wrist, and within minutes felt like my whole arm was on Fire. the swelling was pretty bad and the pain was some the worst I've experienced in regards to an animal/arachnid encounter. on top of that the muscle cramps lasted for days after. basicly 1-2 days of discomfort VS 1week+ of pain and discomfort and muscle cramps.
Thanks for the reply ;)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also suggest Pamphobeteus. Awesome genus. My Phormictopus is also really cool. And I just got a couple G. iheringi juveniles, and am really liking them too.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Your collection is heavily biased towards:
- New World Tarantulas
- Aphonopelma

Considering that the brachypelma are pretty similar to the aphonopelma, and that there is no
reason to believe you are even considering moving towards old world T's, and the fact that your collection is primarily terrestrial, with the exception of the A. Avic which fills your arboreal space, your next T will be a Lasiodora Parahybana, for their size and straying from the stillness of the brachypelma and aphonopelma.

You could also get a green bottle blue to spice it up.
You caught me. I have exclusively stuck to OW's because I'm new and I wanted to tackle a few hardier species with a bit less attitude first. I have considered an LP but I'm loving my avic and am also looking into more arboreals. I live in Maryland so it gets quite cold here and its also extremely humid in the summer so I want to make sure any animal I get would be happy in my home and the environment I live in wouldn't make it uncomfortable. I'm also a worrier so I am avoiding the Grammostolas only because of their famous fasting periods that I'm sure would give me supreme anxiety.

Last edited:

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I'll give you guys all a list of ones that I'm heavily considering:
GBB
C. Veris
A. purpurea
LP
OBT??(little afraid, a lot in love)

I'm currently writing down everyones suggestions and researching everything.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of those I suggest C. versicolor. I've had mine for 9 years and she's great. I love OBTs also, but you should probably try a starter baboon first like ceratogyrus, just so you're not totally taken by surprise.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
GBB
C. Veris
A. purpurea
LP

out of the list, i also second the versicolor or even the GBB. Not to hard, Very beautiful and would do good in your area.

as for the OBT, as long as you do the opposite as i did at first you should have to worry ;)

with them its all about respecting the animal and just knowing its not exactly a species you want to make feeding videos with the lid wide open with.

id probably hold off on the OBT but its totally up to you.

but if you did go for a OW baboon, id say E. pachypus or like Olan said, a ceratogyrus. great first time baboon species.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
. I'm also a worrier so I am avoiding the Grammostolas only because of their famous fasting periods that I'm sure would give me supreme anxiety.
The only fasting a G. iheringi will do is eat fast. they grow quick, tackle food like a linebacker, and get 7-8"

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I am avoiding the Grammostolas only because of their famous fasting periods that I'm sure would give me supreme anxiety.
Not a problem with G. iheringi, they eat like tanks and only refuse food when in premoult, they're also more active (very active hunters), faster and have a bit more attitude than other Grammos, they grow much faster than the other members of the genus too.

GBB
C. Versicolor
A. purpurea
LP
Out of those I'd go with the GBB or C. versicolor.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
out of the list, i also second the versicolor or even the GBB. Not to hard, Very beautiful and would do good in your area.

as for the OBT, as long as you do the opposite as i did at first you should have to worry ;)

with them its all about respecting the animal and just knowing its not exactly a species you want to make feeding videos with the lid wide open with.

id probably hold off on the OBT but its totally up to you.

but if you did go for a OW baboon, id say E. pachypus or like Olan said, a ceratogyrus. great first time baboon species.
totally understood. I don't handle and i don't mess with my T's at all. Just feed and water and thats all so I'm not terribly concerned with temperament but I totally get they are super lighting fast.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
totally understood. I don't handle and i don't mess with my T's at all. Just feed and water and thats all so I'm not terribly concerned with temperament but I totally get they are super lighting fast.
yea they can be pretty fast. I've noticed that usually, if they have a secure hide, they are more prone to Flight rather then fight, usually*

just never want to come between them and their hide on purpose though haha.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
GBB
C. Veris
A. purpurea
LP

I have three of these that are on your list. I'm particularly fond of the GBB and OBT.

The Versicolor is pretty sweet as well but I hate tearing her webbing up when I open the enclosure and she loves to try escaping whenever it's time to feed or do maintenance.

The Versicolor is pretty sweet too but I hate ripping our webbing when I have to open the enclosure and she loves to try to climb out when I open it which is aggravating as she doesn't go back in easily. oh, she's also harder to feed as she's not big enough for live crickets, I can't get pinheads and her mealworms fall of her plants before she gets to em although I've seen her come down once or twice, I think she even came down and ate one but I don't know.